Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:00:44  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been years of breathless anticipation, and by the oval orchids of Occham, I'm not sure I can wait a whole lot longer!

Yes, AiG's marvelous Creation Museum will open very soon, and current expectations are that some 250,000 souls will be in attendance in the first year. This includes YECreationists, Intelligent Designerists, people with nothing better to do, and those who need a good laugh. Oh, I do hope I can afford to go!
quote:
PETERSBURG --Tyrannosaurus rex was a strict vegetarian, and lived with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

There were dinosaurs of every kind aboard Noah's ark. Some dinosaurs managed to hang around until just a few hundred years ago. The legend of St. George slaying the dragon? That probably was a dinosaur.

Exhibits showing all this and more will be at the Creation Museum, a $27 million religious showcase nearing completion in Northern Kentucky.

The museum, in Boone County near the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport, is being built by a non-profit group called Answers in Genesis. It is scheduled to open on Memorial Day. Museum and Northern Kentucky tourism officials are expecting it to be a boon to the region, bringing in at least 250,000 visitors in its first year.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
When the Gallup Poll asked people about their views on the subject last March, 47 percent of Americans polled said that God created humans pretty much in their present form some time in the last 10,000 years. That belief was strongest among those with less education, regular churchgoers, people 65 and older, and Republicans.

hah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaEj3g5GOYA
^^ better evaluation of creation

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2007 :  13:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tyrannosaurus rex was a strict vegetarian,

Some people can't see the absurdity of such a statement. But good on them for actually making some claims that can be tested (something we will never find that ID will).

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Edited by - Hawks on 03/28/2007 14:32:54
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:15:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An overview of the situation -- it ain't pretty.
quote:
Creation "Science" Is the Christian Right's Trojan Horse Against Reason

By Chris Hedges, Truthdig. Posted March 28, 2007.

From California to Florida, a string of Creation "Science" museums are springing up across the country as part of the Christian Right's attempt to rewrite the past and make it conform to the Bible. Tools

Before they seize power and establish a world according to their doctrines, totalitarian movements conjure up a lying world of consistency which is more adequate to the needs of the human mind than reality itself; in which, through sheer imagination, uprooted masses can feel at home and are spared the never-ending shocks which real life and real experiences deal to human beings and their expectations. The force possessed by totalitarian propaganda -- before the movements have the power to drop iron curtains to prevent anyone's disturbing, by the slightest reality, the gruesome quiet of an entirely imaginary world--lies in its ability to shut the masses off from the real world." -- Hannah Arendt, "The Origins of Totalitarianism"

In the middle of the lobby of the 50,000-square-foot Creation Museum in Petersburg, Ky., a 20-foot waterfall tumbles. Two life-size figures of children with long black hair and in buckskin clothes play in the stream a few feet from two towering Tyrannosaurus Rex models that can move and roar. The museum, which cost $25 million to build and has a sea of black asphalt parking lots for school buses, has a scale model of Noah's ark that shows how Noah solved the problem of fitting dinosaurs into the three levels of the vessel--he loaded only baby dinosaurs. And on the wooden model, infant dinosaurs cavort with horses, giraffes, hippopotamuses, penguins and bears. There is an elaborate display of the Garden of Eden, where Adam and Eve, naked but strategically positioned so as not to display breasts or genitals, swim in a river as giant dinosaurs and lizards roam the banks.

Before Adam and Eve were expelled from paradise, museum visitors are told, all of the dinosaurs were peaceable plant-eaters. The evidence is found in Genesis 1:30, where God gives "green herb" to every creature to eat. There were no predators. T-Rex had such big teeth, the museum explains, so it could open coconuts. Only after Adam and Eve sinned and were cast out of paradise did the dinosaurs start to eat flesh. And Adam's sin is a key component of the belief system, for in the eyes of many creationists, in order for Jesus' death to be meaningful it had to atone for Adam's first sin.

Emphasis and accompaning hysterical hilarity mine. Interesting how the two words are so closely related, yet with somewhat different meanings, isn't it?

The point is that these pious and imbecilic sideshows are cropping up everywhere. And like any of Pavlov's experimental subjects, the faithful and the easily led slobber over them.

Coconuts indeed!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/29/2007 03:33:41
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:42:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what I wanna know is what did Venus fly traps and pitcher plants eat in the garden of Eden? Flying vegetables? Or is it ok if a plant eats meat?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  03:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's just precious. I think we need to start humoring the Creationists as if they were slow children. I can just imagine T. Rex looking up into a palm tree and singing, "Hoi've got a lo-ve-ly bunch o' coconuts"!

Also, note the un-Biblical nature of that scene with kids playing in water near a peaceful T. Rex. There were no kids in the Garden! It was an adult community. Ham is a heretic, burn him!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  05:27:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eagerly await the fossil discovery of a T. Rex with a coconut in its mouth and/or gut. Should happen about the same time the Devonian Bunny is found.

What a bunch of maroons.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  05:53:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many coconuts Sweet Sue could polish off in a meal...

.... and I wonder who they were.

If asked, Vegeta, they would probably tell you that the flytraps, pitchers and sundews (a personal favorite) were sinply more of the "green herb" and were eaten by Adam & Eve, or possibly smoked.

Y'know, they make it so easy it's no challenge. They leave themselves so wide open to ridicule that I wonder that they have any following at all, other than the terminally doltish. Sad...

I have simply got to see that (chortle) museum. I'll bet it's a real gas!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  06:27:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right so everyone else has to eat boring vegetables but the T-Rex is too good for God's green herb eh? He wants to eat coconuts does he? Is the green herb not good enough for the Tyrant Lizard? bah! I'm glad they're all dead.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posit that coconuts, before The Fall, did not have a hard shell and were easy for Adam and Eve to eat. After they sinned, coconuts acquired the hard shell so it would be very difficult for humans to get at the good stuff.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  07:47:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
damn that Vengeful God, as if being mortal and having child birth pains wasn't enough

Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:26:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give God a break, He DID design the banana to be easy to hold and peal, and when people slip on the peal its funny.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  08:46:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leoofno

Give God a break, He DID design the banana to be easy to hold and peal, and when people slip on the peal its funny.

People did not slip until after the Fall.

You can't prove me wrong.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  09:28:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! A museum of soon-to-be extinct ideas.
Honestly. I like the idea.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:33:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notice that these museums aim their exhibits at young children? They hope to indoctrinate them young, when they are most capable of being overawed and brainwashed.

What these scumbags miss is that a lot of these kids will most vividly remember the animatronic dinosaurs, and read up on them in real science books. In many cases, the likes of Ham (and before he was jailed, Hovind) are actually creating future scientists and skeptics.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2007 :  13:42:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, don't most museums have kid-targeted sections?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds.