Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  07:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Naw, not your god who walks on water crushing the heads of evil psychics everywhere??

I'm an atheist.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  07:38:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by madisland

Wow you don't think Mr. Amazing could only be doing this for PUBLICITY??????? Naw, not your god who walks on water crushing the heads of evil psychics everywhere?? No of course not...
Publicity? How so? Many skeptics have simply changed their minds on global warming based on the evidence that is now much more convincing.

Micheal Shermer also changed his mind.

As for Randi being a god to us, I still don't agree with him on at least a couple of views he has, one of which I wrote about over here.

As for “crushing the heads of evil psychics” I will point out that psychics get a lot more media attention then skeptics do. For example, Sylvia Brown is a media whore. Uri Geller is too, though not as much anymore, I suppose. John Edwards had a popular show, and most of the time there is very little or no challenge to their claims coming from the direction of the media. The claims these people make are extraordinary.

Are you suggesting that it's okay for your gods to get a pass on the publicity they go after but it's somehow bad to challenge them? It's the skeptics who get marginalized by the media, because they are not as “sensational” and therefore not as news worthy. Psychic's on the other hand actively seek out publicity to increase their clientele and the prices they can charge for their “service'. Brown gets $750 dollars a pop for a 20 minute phone conversation with her. Randi gets nothing by suggesting that people spend their money more wisely…

Guess what I am saying is your statement is as hypocritical as it is nonsensical.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  08:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by madisland

Wow you don't think Mr. Amazing could only be doing this for PUBLICITY??????? Naw, not your god who walks on water crushing the heads of evil psychics everywhere?? No of course not...

I don't see how this is a publicity stunt, it was just one small part of his weekly newsletter. As for crushing the heads of psychics, it seems that all he asks is for them to show that they can do what they claim. The fact that they can not says nothing about Randi, but quite a bit about psychics.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

madisland

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  15:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send madisland a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did I say anything about psychics? This is Randi's house, the house that Randi built. How could you view him as equally as bad at the psychics you ridicule? And you think, na na the PSYCHICS do it, so can Randi? that's great. only proving my point...that there is no real critical thinking here. As long as it's about Randi you can understand. If it's about Sylvia Brown, she is evil. See? Randi is as bad as Brown. Period.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  17:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
madisland:
Did I say anything about psychics?

Yes.
madisland:
This is Randi's house, the house that Randi built.

No it isn't. This is The Skeptic Friends Network. Randi has nothing to do with this site. And guess what? We were here first!
madisland:
How could you view him as equally as bad at the psychics you ridicule? And you think, na na the PSYCHICS do it, so can Randi? that's great. only proving my point...that there is no real critical thinking here.

What are you talking about? Honest! I have no idea what you are saying and I can't find my decoder ring.
madisland:
As long as it's about Randi you can understand. If it's about Sylvia Brown, she is evil.

Yes but… Okay, forget evil. She is a quack and a fraud who makes her living by exploiting people's grief. Is that better?
madisland:
See? Randi is as bad as Brown. Period.

How so?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  23:00:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I put Randi on my growing list of deniers?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  06:13:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Can I put Randi on my growing list of deniers?
Why don't you? Picking bad examples haven't stopped you before...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  21:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Creighton describes MMGW as a religion; based on his training as an anthropologist. I am sure his scientific training of human behavior gives him little incite into the religious reality of the consensus.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  05:56:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Michael Creighton describes MMGW as a religion; based on his training as an anthropologist. I am sure his scientific training of human behavior gives him little incite into the religious reality of the consensus.

I decided to respond to you in a meaningful way. So I googled this Michael Creighton guy and I see that he is an artist. Looking at his education I see that he studied art, I don't know where the anthropology came in. Was that his minor?

Irregardless, the personal views of an individual have nothing to do with the consensus conclusions that climatologists have deduced based on the data collected. Hasn't this point been communicated to you about 10 times?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  06:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note to all jackasses: the opinions of non-climate based scientists or non-scientists such as Randi means jack and shit. The opinions of FICTION writers like Crighton mean even less.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:02:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who is this Michael Creighton guy anyway? I've never hear about him, looks from Google like he's some kind of artist.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  15:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His name is spelled Crichton. His official Web site has this to say:
Crichton's 2004 bestseller, State of Fear, acknowledged the world was growing warmer, but challenged extreme anthropogenic warming scenarios. He predicted future warming at 0.8 degrees C. (His conclusions have been widely misstated.)
Note the lack of mention of "human behavior" in the quoted statement. His training as a medical doctor or in anthropology won't help him support his 0.8C figure, whether it's right or wrong.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  16:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Who is this Michael Creighton guy anyway? I've never hear about him, looks from Google like he's some kind of artist.

As you would've noticed from his Wikipedia entry, as linked to by Dave, I would've thought that most of his general public notoriety would have come from his authoring of the "Jurassic Park" novels.

I haven't read much of his work, but I remember enjoying "Airframe" many many years ago.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  18:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Crichton graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College, received his MD from Harvard Medical School, and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, researching public policy with Jacob Bronowski. He has taught courses in anthropology at Cambridge University and writing at MIT.

His opinion does matter in the context of the religion of global warming.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  19:37:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Crichton graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College, received his MD from Harvard Medical School, and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, researching public policy with Jacob Bronowski. He has taught courses in anthropology at Cambridge University and writing at MIT.

His opinion does matter in the context of the religion of global warming.
How, when absolutely nothing you listed of his background has anything to do with climatology?

Or are we simply supposed to be impressed because he went to Harvard, and therefore, must be a genius on everything?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 06/12/2007 19:37:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.