New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  20:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Q: Why was it that the late, great Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald once turned down a proposal for marriage from Lord Darth Vader? (Highlight the answer below.)

A: She didn't want to be called Ella Vader.

That was the dumbest joke ever

Yet I laughed out load.

YEAAA Mooner!

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  22:21:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Originally posted by Hawks

Kent Hovind has been e-mailing God - and he gets answers. Snippet:

KH: Lord, I asked you to let me sleep, because I knew the next day would be hard and I would need my strength. Why didn't you let me sleep, Lord?

GOD: I did, son. You slept great from 3:00 - 4:45 a.m. Who do you think it was that made the guard forget to call you at 3:30? Didn't you wake up refreshed at 4:45 and even comment on how hard you slept and how good you felt?

Detailed answers at that.

I kept scrolling down, looking for the "Yes, this is just a joke, you're all nuts" disclaimer, but to no avail. Did anyone else find it?

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  22:24:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message

Q: Why was it that the late, great Jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald once turned down a proposal for marriage from Lord Darth Vader? (Highlight the answer below.)

Sure, the marriage may have had it's ups and downs, but sometimes you have to work at these things. Although you don't want to force the issue too much.

Sorry, I came into chat late, and missed the puns.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  03:25:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

That was the dumbest joke ever

Yet I laughed out load.

YEAAA Mooner!

Thanks. I have to dumb 'em down for this crowd. The response shows this was wise. I can't say much for the quality of that one, but I know I invented it about 20 years ago. The fact that you heard it first from me after all these years shows how much "viral" strength it has.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  03:43:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Kent Hovind has been e-mailing God - and he gets answers.
I kept scrolling down, looking for the "Yes, this is just a joke, you're all nuts" disclaimer, but to no avail. Did anyone else find it?
Funny at first, but pretty soon it is just tragic.

Talking to god is normal, but when god is talking back it is called Schizophrenia.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  06:10:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
On the way to work this morning, I saw one of those "support" ribbons on a car. This one was black with a blue outline, and said, "Support Lap Dancing."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  16:38:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message

The name of our first-born is Sam. When number two comes along and if it turns out to be a girl, we will not name her Ella. I just couldn't stomach calling my kids Sam and Ella.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  17:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Because I should be doing some work right now and don't really feel like it, I'll instead write down an oldie but goldie thought provoker: how do you justify using induction as a method for making inferences without resorting to circular reasoning?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  20:35:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Problem of Induction is, indeed, a very oldie.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  20:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message

Because I should be doing some work right now and don't really feel like it, I'll instead write down an oldie but goldie thought provoker: how do you justify using induction as a method for making inferences without resorting to circular reasoning?

I agree with Hume's criticisms of the use of induction in science and would call myself almost Popperian. That is, forget induction and make science about having theories which have not yet been refuted. We never say a theory is correct, just that it has yet to be shown wrong. In fact, I believe this reflects the way sciences actually works much better than induction, even though induction is used to make a hypothesis.

I actually follow a student of Popper's, Lakatos, who altered what Popper said. Popper's idea what that if we ever falsify a theory we should throw it out. Lakatos refined this and said that if we falsify a theory, we should only throw it out if we have another theory which explains things better. Rather than throw it out, try to save it as best as possible. A great example of this is the orbit of Mercury, which scientists couldn't account for using Newtonian Physics. Even though we knew something was wrong, we didn't throw out our concept of Gravity. It wasn't until Einstien came along that Newtonian Physics was finally thrown out. Another good example is the orbit of Neptune, which was off by an small amount. Rather than throw Newtonian Physics out (yet again), they tried to save it by assuming the existence of piece of mass, Pluto.

What's even more fun is when someone doesn't accept the Principle of Mathematical Induction.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  15:58:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Cool hybrid. Looks photoshopped, but alledgedly isn't.

Added in edit: Looking at this picture, I'm absolutely sure that the animal is a composite from two different images.

Edited by - Hawks on 06/28/2007 17:40:10
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  18:06:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The indentation right where the two color schemes meet at the bottom of her belly screams "Photoshop!" to me.

The Museum of Hoaxes has a nice bunch of Hoax Photo Tests. The link goes to test #1, and there are three more.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  19:25:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

The indentation right where the two color schemes meet at the bottom of her belly screams "Photoshop!" to me.

The Museum of Hoaxes has a nice bunch of Hoax Photo Tests. The link goes to test #1, and there are three more.

10 out of 10 correct on the first test

6 out of 10 correct on the second test

8 out of 10 correct on the third test

9 out of 10 correct on the fourth test

33 out of 40 correct total 83%

Fun tests thanks!

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  07:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
For those who have been following the noise/vibration problems in my apartment...

A while back, we finally had the condo board order a measurement of the vibrations and noise. A consultant company out of Stockholm came here and made measurements. About two weeks ago, I got the final report from them.

It turns out that while there were easily detectable noise and vibrations in the structure, they were just below the regulations. Which means that legally we're shit out of luck.

The positive thing that is that in the report: the consultant wrote in the summary that "people with above average hearing may very well be disturbed by the level of noise produced by the ventilation system..." and goes on to enumerate a few basic actions/modifications to the system that would further reduce the problem.

Aparently impressed by the summary of the report, Condo board wrote to the municipal Health- and Environment Board and told them that they intend to go ahead and make the modifications suggested by the consultant. With that decision, and the fact that measurements were below guidelines, the Health Board decided to close the file.

What remains for us now is trying to get a schedule for when these mods will be done, and trying to convince the Condo Board to retroactively lower the rent for the time period during which my girlfriend haven't been able to live in the apartment. We're talking about 12 months, approx. $5000US.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/29/2007 07:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  07:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Good to hear, Mab! And good luck on what's left of the battle.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.