Crackpots and the Virginia Tech massacre
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jasonpopcrack

16 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:08:42  Show Profile  Visit jasonpopcrack's Homepage  Send jasonpopcrack a Yahoo! Message Send jasonpopcrack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

We've posted a new piece at Popular Crackpot dealing with the fringe's reaction to the Virginia Tech massacre.

Please check it out at:

http://popularcrackpot.com/wp/2007/04/19/that-didnt-take-long-virginia-tech-and-the-crackpots/

Thanks all,
Jason

You Won't Believe What People Believe ... visit popularcrackpot.com

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  09:33:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this question to be particularly interesting: Will it succeed in halting the investigations into Gonzales and the other criminals?

Indeed, whenever some horrible event like this distracts the media from focusing on damaging political matters, we always hear the conspiracy-theorists argue that there's a relationship. The biggest example in recent memory was the Clinton 'Wag-the-Dog' bombing of terrorist camps in Afghanistan and a chemical-weapons factory in Sudan.

One wonders if Imus-- were he able to pull the right strings ()-- had this happen a week earlier, would still have a job!
Go to Top of Page

jasonpopcrack

16 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2007 :  13:44:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jasonpopcrack's Homepage  Send jasonpopcrack a Yahoo! Message Send jasonpopcrack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good point about Imus. It's funny how context determines the seriousness of a news story.

Since posting this article last night, we've found even more crackpottery related to the Virginia Tech killings. Frankly, it's on par with the 9/11 lunacy.

We're going to get into the VT thing, but we want to wait until it's the right time to do so.

Thanks,
Jason

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  04:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, jasonpopcrack, for the sercvice you are doing by keeping track of crackpot theories. It sickens me when people exploit the misrery and suffering of others in order to promote their lunacy, always entirely without concience for the feelings of survivors, since they prefer to "strike while the iron is hot."

I saw a great deal of political paranoia during the Sixties, too. I suspect that any time an unpopular government is making a mess of things, particularly when it is known that government is doing illegal spying upon its own citizens (FBI's COINTELPRO in the Sixties, massive electronic spying, plus torture, "renditions," and imprisonment without trial in the present), it is only natural for the more paranoid amongst us to take things a few extra steps into madness. There is now the Internet, as well, and this gives the nuts a platform for swift broadcast of any suitably crazy idea. (See my own now-regretted flirtation with the idea of a "secret dictatorship.")

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/20/2007 04:06:36
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  04:43:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A tiny correction, 'mooner: the crackpots are not promoting their lunacy; they are promoting themselves. We've seen it all too many times on these boards. Remember HYBRID? He finally got his twisted ass kicked, yet still kept coming back with sock puppets: "BEHOLD! LOOK AT ME, FIGHTING THE ESTABLISHMENT!"

I would soon grow weary of them if they weren't so utterly hilarious.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  06:52:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Hybrid was before my time here. But I agree, in many cases, Fil. I also think many of these people are genuinely crazy, delusional, and paranoid. Of course, this does not rule out self-promotion driven by delusions of grandeur, in fact, these symptoms are related.

They think only they can save humanity with their nonsense. In 1967 and just out of the Navy, I had an acquaintance, and once a friend, named William A. ("Bill") Callison. Bill was intense, and quite the charismatic type, but was also out of his fucking gourd. Callison dreamed up up a way to overthrow the Pentagon and stop the Vietnam War. All one had to do was to get a large enough number of people together to surround the building, and link hands. Just like that. Magically.

His argument that it would work boiled down to him being sure of it. Self-assurance alone can sway many people. The underground hippy newspapers printed his well-written pronouncements.

He actually got a few thousand people together to try it. But, seeing Callison as insane, I wasn't one of them. Oddly enough, the Pentagon survived the hand-holding, as did the Vietnam War for several more years.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/20/2007 07:03:02
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  06:55:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, you're missing out-- check out this HYBRID thread from a few summers ago. Interesting stuff!
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 04/20/2007 06:55:44
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  07:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I read enough to get the drift. The guy's a real loon, refuses to even talk about this "evidence" thing, since its all so obvious to anyone with any sense.

Go to Top of Page

jasonpopcrack

16 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  08:52:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jasonpopcrack's Homepage  Send jasonpopcrack a Yahoo! Message Send jasonpopcrack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mooner, thanks for the compliment.

Honestly, we had a hard time deciding to post the piece on VT, but we figured that people needed to know what the crackpots were doing to this story.

And yes, we agree that it's a damn shame how people pervert news events like this to fit their own way-out view of the world. Since posting the original article, we've had people point out even more lunacy floating around right now.

We'll post more on VT in the days to come, but we're going to try and wait a bit for our commentary. Just not the time for it.

We recorded our latest episode last night, and we hope to have it online by tomorrow night. We gave a shout out to SFN, so listen up

Thanks all.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  09:10:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I think Hybrid was before my time here. But I agree, in many cases, Fil. I also think many of these people are genuinely crazy, delusional, and paranoid. Of course, this does not rule out self-promotion driven by delusions of grandeur, in fact, these symptoms are related.

They think only they can save humanity with their nonsense. In 1967 and just out of the Navy, I had an acquaintance, and once a friend, named William A. ("Bill") Callison. Bill was intense, and quite the charismatic type, but was also out of his fucking gourd. Callison dreamed up up a way to overthrow the Pentagon and stop the Vietnam War. All one had to do was to get a large enough number of people together to surround the building, and link hands. Just like that. Magically.

His argument that it would work boiled down to him being sure of it. Self-assurance alone can sway many people. The underground hippy newspapers printed his well-written pronouncements.

He actually got a few thousand people together to try it. But, seeing Callison as insane, I wasn't one of them. Oddly enough, the Pentagon survived the hand-holding, as did the Vietnam War for several more years.

I not only remember that, but when I lived in Vermont, I knew a couple otherwise sane people who were there. The idea was to form an unbroken circle around the Pentagon and will it to levitate. From what I heard, it was a lot of fun and caused some minor consternation amongst the warmongering criminals therein. Wonderful stuff! Pity it didn't work.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

jasonpopcrack

16 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:06:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jasonpopcrack's Homepage  Send jasonpopcrack a Yahoo! Message Send jasonpopcrack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG, I just read the Hybrid threa. I think we're going to have to add a "Classic Crackpots" section to our site. People really need to know that the guy (girl?) next door could be this touched in the head.

Wow...typing in stunned amazment...

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:15:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
OMG, I just read the Hybrid threa. I think we're going to have to add a "Classic Crackpots" section to our site.

We have more where that came from. Much more, unfortunately.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

jasonpopcrack

16 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:23:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit jasonpopcrack's Homepage  Send jasonpopcrack a Yahoo! Message Send jasonpopcrack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess that's a good thing for us. Lots of things to talk about in the podcast.

Anyone ever hear of a thing called Orgone? We did a show about it last night, should be up by this evening.

If you haven't heard of Orgone, why it's the thing that cures everything and makes all bad things/people go away...

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you haven't heard of Orgone, why it's the thing that cures everything and makes all bad things/people go away...

I thought that was homeopathy, God, chiropractors, crystals, fung sui, certain types of fruit juice, and Kil.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hybrid was an amature conspiracy nut compared to this guy:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6992

This one wins the prize for most deluded 9/11 conspiracy nut ever. Because he seems normal at first, knows how to type in complete sentences, and so on.

(edited to put in the right link)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 04/20/2007 12:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  12:45:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a full list of Ergo123's threads on 9/11, click this link. Then scroll down the the conspiracy folder stuff, it continues onto a second page.

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=2063

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.