New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2007 :  22:33:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree with police action. Plenty of people like to be fooled, it makes them feel better. Houdini used his power of celebrity many years ago to show these types of things false; yet people still want to believe. There are many things in society that are implied to be something they are not for the purpose of making a sale. The psychiatric industry could be called into question. What right does the state have to decide?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  07:09:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Ricky, even honest repairmen can be charged with fraud for unwittingly using fraudlent parts. The smart ones rat on their suppliers in return for leniency.

Psychics don't have such a luxury.

To continue the analogy, the customer is specifically requesting for those fraudulent parts.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/07/2007 07:12:54
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  07:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, my actual take on this is sort of in between Ricky's and those who want the psychics thrown in jail. In a lot of places you have to present a clear disclaimer on psychic services along the lines of "For recreational purposes only." Heck, I once went to a psychic reading for fun, and many of my skeptic friends have too. And it is fun, just like a magic 8 ball and Ouija board are fun.

I think the law should be that if someone is presenting themselves as having real psychic powers in a manner that any common and reasonaly sane and intelligent person would take serious, then they are committing fraud and should be fined, or if the take is large, even jailed.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/07/2007 07:54:12
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  10:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Originally posted by Dave W.

Ricky, even honest repairmen can be charged with fraud for unwittingly using fraudlent parts. The smart ones rat on their suppliers in return for leniency.

Psychics don't have such a luxury.
To continue the analogy, the customer is specifically requesting for those fraudulent parts.
To continue it further, most of the customers request the fraudulent parts thinking that they're genuine. Fair-trade laws are designed to protect the consumer in such cases, by removing the consumer's intent from the question of whether or not fraud has been committed. And the standard doesn't even demand that 100% of consumers be protected, but only "the average person," a hypothetical legal entity ("I thought I could use a hammer to repair my antique china" wouldn't be standing for a fraud case against Stanley Tools even if they made an advertisement in which they claimed that their tools could "fix anything"). Only if "the average person" would wind up believing something that isn't true would there be fraud.

I actually agree with you, Ricky. There needed have been a law specifically outlawing psychics and the like. The other anti-fraud laws should have been enough.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  14:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave said "To continue it further, most of the customers request the fraudulent parts thinking that they're genuine."

Shall the state now arrest phone sex operators?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  11:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave said "To continue it further, most of the customers request the fraudulent parts thinking that they're genuine."

WTF?!? How do you come up with this? Do you have a tank of manatees that pick which line you write?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  12:09:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Global warming, public schools and now you think phone sex is a scam, too? What next? The Good Humor Man?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  15:17:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome wrote:

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I was going to make some sarcastic comment about how people who use phone sex know they aren't having real sex, and then I realized that you probably meant that the phone sex companies make commercials showing beautiful women, but the actual operators are most likely average-looking or worse.

Of course then you still have the problem that those commercials never claim that the women on the TV are the ones you are talking to, I don't think any reasonable person would assume they are, and if the phone sex companies are asked whether the commerical women are actual operators, they'd answer "No."

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Edited by - marfknox on 06/08/2007 15:18:29
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  19:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Jerome wrote:

Ohhhhhhhhhh! I was going to make some sarcastic comment about how people who use phone sex know they aren't having real sex, and then I realized that you probably meant that the phone sex companies make commercials showing beautiful women, but the actual operators are most likely average-looking or worse.

Of course then you still have the problem that those commercials never claim that the women on the TV are the ones you are talking to, I don't think any reasonable person would assume they are, and if the phone sex companies are asked whether the commerical women are actual operators, they'd answer "No."

This made my laugh a great deal.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  20:35:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This made my laugh a great deal.

Thanks
Great, now I'm just more confused. Sarcasm or no?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  20:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, sarcasm.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  23:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So once again, you're not going to answer my question, Jerome?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  05:04:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, sarcasm.
Jerome, are you saying that you think the average phone sex customer thinks that they really are talking to a gorgeous woman (or bubbling co-ed, or tranny, or nympho barely legal teen - whevever floats their boat) opposed to just going with the fantasy and pretending it is real?

You've gotta be kidding.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  07:44:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Yes, sarcasm.
Jerome, are you saying that you think the average phone sex customer thinks that they really are talking to a gorgeous woman (or bubbling co-ed, or tranny, or nympho barely legal teen - whevever floats their boat) opposed to just going with the fantasy and pretending it is real?

You've gotta be kidding.
You're ruining it for him Marf.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  08:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After giving it some thought, the mechanic analogy is a particularly poor one. A mechanic who uses fraudulent parts may end up getting someone killed while the same is not true for a psychic. So we must hold the mechanic up to a higher standard.

But as for using current anti-fraud laws to outlaw psychics, I'm still not sure on. I want to say no because their clients would be in an uproar if such a thing happened. Psychics would probably just end up going "underground". If the clients really want to pay for it and can't be convinced otherwise, then why not let them? The thing different between psychics and most other frauds is the the client knows exactly whats going on. In most cases there is nothing hidden from them, nothing being kept secret. And in the cases that there is something, then I would definitely label this as fraud.

But again, I'm still rather unsure.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.