Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  03:07:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an incredible video. The quality is nothing short of amazing. Not. But at least (maybe) the businesses near the lake might make a few more bucks.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  04:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

This is an incredible video. The quality is nothing short of amazing. Not. But at least (maybe) the businesses near the lake might make a few more bucks.
Muskrat, muskrat....
What makes you smell so bad....?
I been livin' in the ground'
So damn' long, it's a'mortifyin' my head, head,
It's mortifyin' my head.

Don't know what it is, but I do know what it ain't. It ain't a giant reptile and it ain't a muskrat, although it looks a little like a swimming 'rat. The wake is too narrow to be anything much bigger.

I saw this one at Shadows of Manitoba.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  06:09:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazing quality? I must have been looking at something different than you. There is no way to determine what animal made that wake or even be sure it was an animal.

edited to say - Oh for crying out loud I reread your post Hawks, and saw the 'not', as in not incredible. Never mind.....

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Edited by - furshur on 06/04/2007 06:12:34
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  07:22:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can we just drake that damn lake so people will shut up once an for all?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  07:45:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the two guys who started it all confessed?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  08:39:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's funny is how much emphasis was put on local tourism by this supposed sighting, even by the “scientist.” If I were cynical, I might detect a motive for a hoax…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:06:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again YouTube is way ahead of the curve on this, with much clearer images and additional dialog explaining how the Loch Ness Monster is effectively dealt with.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:51:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Nessie & Bigfoot & Batboy & Mothman, and the rest of them are good things. They give the easily deluded something to do -- keeping them off the streets and out of trouble. Further, they give the local economies a boost and provide needed employment for some otherwise unemployable people. And they give the skeptic a good laugh as well as provide 'im with a few heated arguments.

But what...., what if something were actually found? Boy-howdy, would our faces be red, or what? Well, mine wouldn't. I'd be too busy following the research to much care what the Nessiephiles have to say. Because, you see, the animal, as described, would be so far out of the ordinary, so downright alien, that it would boggle the mind. Calling it a plieosaur(sp?) shows a very lame imagination.

So, all & all, what's not to love?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:02:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me the video looks like a shadow on the water that is being projected from above. The ripples give it a 3D illusion....

I see no wake in the water, just a vaguely V shaped shadow.

The entire video would be usefull, to see if the image changes as the angles change. I'd bet it does.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  19:48:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The video would be better if scale could be discerned. The most famous
picture of the "monster" has been stated by the photographer a fake.
Although, the loch is vast; it certainly could provide an environment for a large sea animal to reside.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  06:25:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Video convinced me Nessie is real!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  06:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

The video would be better if scale could be discerned. The most famous
picture of the "monster" has been stated by the photographer a fake.
Although, the loch is vast; it certainly could provide an environment for a large sea animal to reside.

How many times have I done this...?

Ok Jerome, the key word here is: "a," as in a monster. The loch would most likely support such. However, unless we are talking immortality here, there must be a viable population. A population large enough to be viable would certainly be numerous enough that the species would be well known and described, not just "sighted" now & again. Nessie does not exist, but it must be fun to think that she does, 'cause so many people subscribe to the myth, indeed, in any place with a large lake.

Neat monster, Robb!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:35:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, there are many animals that live a long time and the loch is large enough to support a population of large animals. Remember, the giant Panda was thought to be fiction for a very long time.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  08:05:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy, there are many animals that live a long time and the loch is large enough to support a population of large animals. Remember, the giant Panda was thought to be fiction for a very long time.

Reference?

Here are some counter to this:

Link 1

Loch Ness is a cold, deep lake, and has steeply sloping shores. This means that most of the water is cold and dark, and does not support much biological activity. If the Loch Ness monster is a plesiosaur, plesiosaurs would have to have survived for at least 65 million years. This could only happen if there was a substantial number of animals which would have formed a population large enough to avoid the problems of inbreeding. Loch Ness is neither big enough or productive enough to support such a population.

Link 2

Scientists have calculated that a maximum of 17 to 24 tons of fish live in the Loch Ness. For a lake of its size, it is a small amount, and would be able to keep alive about ten creatures weighing 226 kg each. According to Richard Forrest, an expert on plesiosaurs, ten creatures would not be enough to keep a colony going. “Thirty to forty creatures would be the minimum size of a breeding population,” he says.

I could site many more, but I think we get the picture....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Vegeta
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  09:30:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Vegeta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, wtf is that meant to prove

What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen a pink shirt before?

"I was asked if I would do a similar sketch but focusing on the shortcomings of Islam rather than Christianity. I said, 'No, no I wouldn't. I may be an atheist but I'm not stupid.'" - Steward Lee
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  13:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All the way from the Cretaceous Period? I think not. Pleoisaurs went out during the KT extinction with the rest of the giant reptiles. A pity, really...

So, I'll ask an interesting question: Where are the corpses? If there were a population of large animals in the loch, sooner or later one would be found floating rendolently on the surface or washed ashore, to the distress of the locals. This has never happened.

Y'see, the loch has no major scavengers, not even hagfish, so the carcass would not be consumed. It would arrive on the surface all but intact, except for some exlosive decompression of tissue.

Re: Pandas:
The native Chinese name for the Giant Panda, Da xiong mao, means "great bear cat." Chinese books written over two thousand years ago endow the giant panda with mystical powers capable of warding off natural disasters and evil spirits. The ancient Chinese emperors kept giant pandas as pets.

The giant panda remained unknown to Westerners until 1869 when native hunters brought French missionary Armand David a dead specimen. He sent the pelt back to the Museum of Natural History in Paris. German zoologist Hugo Weigold was the first Westerner to observe a live giant panda in the wild. In 1929 Theodore and Kermit Roosevelt (sons of former U. S. President Theodore Roosevelt) became the first Westerners to hunt and kill a giant panda. It was not until 1937 that Ruth Harkness and Gerald Russell captured a live giant panda for the first time. It took sixty-seven years from the time of the giant panda's discovery by Westerners until its live capture. During this period twelve well staffed and equipped professional expeditions failed to collect a single live specimen of the giant panda.
Fiction according to whom? "Unknown" means that we didn't know about it, not that it's a made-up story.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/05/2007 13:12:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.