Stephen William Hawking is no more of this world
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  17:24:07  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eminent physicist will soon be departed

Oxford, England, April 28, 2007 (UKPA) -- Multibillionaire eBay owner William Hawking and Virgin Galactic mogul Richard Branson today jointly announced the impending end of Professor Hawking's days on this mortal coil.

Dr. Hawking, suited up in astronaut training

Hawking and Branson also announced that Hawking has purchased Virgin Galactic for an undisclosed sum, while keeping Branson and Will Whitehorn on as its leaders.

Hawking, author of A Brief History of Time and many other works, and considered the foremost astrophysicist of our time, will soon be installed in "Terra One," Virgin Galactic's orbiting observatory and battle platform. There he will be free of many of the limits that gravity places upon his ALS-wracked body. Hawking will use a vast array of remote manipulators, or "waldoes," to do astrophysics research and to control earthbound activities. Dr. Hawking's academic duties at Oxford will be carried out by a humanoid robot-like device, providing him an earthly "telepresence."

Hawking remarked through his speech synthesiser, "I will venture into space, but not, as previously announced, as a tourist. I will remain there for the rest of my life, overlooking the earth, and controlling it rationally with my army of waldoes. Where's waldo? The answer will soon be: In your neighborhood, bringing security and enlightenment to your planet."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/14/2007 03:05:24

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  18:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You had me there for a couple of seconds.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2007 :  21:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Imminent physicist

He isn't one yet?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  02:13:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
Imminent physicist

He isn't one yet?

Duh. Fixing that!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  04:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
quote:
Originally posted by Dude
quote:
Imminent physicist

He isn't one yet?

Duh. Fixing that!

I kinda liked it the way it was. Good spot, btw Dude.

Even if it's "retro-intentional", Imminent is funnier.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2007 :  04:41:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but there's "funny, intentional," and "funny, illiterate."

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  15:43:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A bit of background on this little tale. Nothing original here.

As hopefully some of you had guessed, I was thinking about Hawking's real interest in going into space, and a parallel occured to me between Hawking with his ALS and Waldo Farthingwaite-Jones with his myasthenia gravis, in Robert Heinlein's 1942 novella, "Waldo." Surely, I figure, Hawking has read "Waldo."

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.