Is CNN even a news outlet any more?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  12:05:53  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have cable (from what I've seen, a blessing), so I don't watch it, only read transcripts on line. But really, this is a bit much even for right-wing idiots:
quote:
The end of the world is anything but entertainment to the people I have at the table with me, Tim LaHaye, Jerry Jenkins, authors of the popular "Left Behind" books and from Washington, author Joel Rosenberg.

Let me start with -- with Tim and Jerry. Playing on fears or a good thing?

JENKINS: Well, we get asked that question a lot. Is it fair to use fear to get somebody to agree with your side? And I always say, I think fear is not a bad motivator if there`s something to be afraid of.

My wife and I raised three sons, and I scared them out of playing in the street. I scared them out of playing near the charcoal grill. I scared them out of using tools on the electrical outlets in the house because there was something to be afraid of.

And our feeling is we want people to be ready to go when the end comes. And they don`t have to agree. They can scoff and laugh. But the fact is, if it`s scary, it`s because there`s something to be scared of.

BECK: I think there`s a difference between "Jericho", and I like "Jericho". You know, we watch it from time to time. There`s a difference between that and, let`s say, your books, because your books are entertainment. But it is very, very clear that this is the message, and I`m trying to -- the secret is in the footnotes.

You know, here`s where you can find the actual information where shows like "Jericho" to me are just a reflection of the collective gut. Wouldn`t we have an alarm in us that would say, "Gang, something bad is about to come"?

LAHAYE: We think that`s one of the things that has made these books resonate with the people, because they`ve had this general of how the end of the age will come about. And what we`ve done is written it into fiction and yet, it`s based on the Bible.

I learned something from the author of "Roots". Years ago, he called his fiction "faction". Well, what we`re doing is we`re putting prophecy in through the vehicle of fiction. And it grabs the minds of people and has driven many people back to the Book of Revelation and other books in the Bible to read, and then they`re surprised: "Oh, it really says that."

BECK: Joel, have you always been a guy who has been on this track? I mean, you used to be -- you worked for Benjamin Netanyahu, if I`m not mistaken.

ROSENBERG: Right.

BECK: What -- what was it that started bringing your alarms?

ROSENBERG: Well, I sort of lived a little schizophrenic life, because professionally, I`ve been working for former Israeli prime ministers and deputy prime ministers, American political leaders.

But personally, I`m an evangelical Christian from an orthodox Jewish heritage. My family actually escaped out of Russia around 1907 when the czar was trying to wipe out of the all the Jews.

So personally I have had a fascination with what do the Bible prophecies say about the coming of Jesus. And where does Russia fit in? Where does Israel fit in? Where does Iran and these Middle Eastern countries fit in?

I met Dr. LaHaye in the early 1990s when the Soviet Union was collapsing. My wife worked with his wife. And we started chatting about these things. But he gave me this book, the coming peace in the Middle East. I think it`s out of print now.

But it walks through the Ezekiel 38 scenario, this war of Gog and Magog, where Russia and Iran team up to try to attack Israel. And honestly, at the time I thought, you know, I don`t see Russia ever being a threat to Israel. It`s collapsing. A million Jews are pouring out.

But then I`m on a flight from Washington to New York City in the year 2000. And I`m with Nat Karanski, the former Israeli deputy prime minister, and he tells me about a secret meeting he had with Vladimir Putin talking to him about his prime minister`s concerns about giving Russia might give nuclear technology and weaponry to Iran?
Glenn Beck is just another scumbag with a motormouth, we all know that. But now he's giving such creatures as LeHay a venue to spout their lunacy?

Really, who will he have on next, Osama bin Ladin? Why not? He's a religious freak-out, too.

Yeesh!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  15:08:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beck and Paula Zahn both have idiot programs.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/06/2007 15:09:34
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2007 :  17:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy wrote:
quote:
Glenn Beck is just another scumbag with a motormouth, we all know that. But now he's giving such creatures as LeHay a venue to spout their lunacy?
Believe it or not, I heard an interview with LeHay on NPR about a month ago, so even supposedly liberal public radio is giving a venue to morons such as this.

The media today is really quite scary.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Orwellingly Yurz
SFN Regular

USA
529 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  22:38:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orwellingly Yurz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YO, Marfknox wrote...

"Believe it or not, I heard an interview with LeHay on NPR about a month ago, so even supposedly liberal public radio is giving a venue to morons such as this."

YO, Marf. NPR ain't liberal these days. I've been in public radio and/or TV since 1977, with a little time out for a gig in classical commercial radio. I helped bring on an NPR affiliate in 1977 in a very bible-beltish kind of place. I was the local commie there then. I retired from all this last January.

NPR, today, is moderate. Of course, the James Dobson crowd thinks it's still (What is that awful word?) LIBERAL. They also believe myth is fact, too.

I listen to more community radio these days. In fact, I just heard a LIVE broadcast concert of Asleep At The Wheel online at KVMR in Nevada City, CA. Their lead singer and guitarist is originally from the City of Brotherly Luv, your neck o' the woods. They did some kick ass stuff and was it in the moment! Most radio these days is so canned and right of center it smells.

P.S. Glenn Beck is an idiot. CNN ought to be ashamed of all that show biz they cable about our country.

OY!

"The modern conservative...is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy. That is the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
--John Kenneth Galbraith

If dogs run free
Then what must be,
Must be...
And that is all
--Bob Dylan

The neo-cons have gotten welfare for themselves down to a fine art.
--me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights."
--J. Paul Getty

"The great thing about Art isn't what it give us, but what we become through it."
--Oscar Wilde

"We have Art in order not to die of life."
--Albert Camus

"I cling like a miser to the freedom I lose when surrounded by an abundance of things."
--Albert Camus

"Experience is the name so many people give to their mistakes."
--Oscar Wilde
Edited by - Orwellingly Yurz on 05/15/2007 22:46:48
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  00:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Orwellingly Yurz

P.S. Glenn Beck is an idiot. CNN ought to be ashamed of all that show biz they cable about our country.

OY!
It just dawned on me, Beck is Fox News lite. CNN is just looking for market share.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.