Who is buried in Herod's Tomb?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  02:51:49  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably Herod, would be my guess, but they have yet to find any collaborating inscriptions, and the dessicated remains of the corpse in question are conspicious by their absence.
quote:
Herod: The Bible's biggest villain

As archaeologists announce they have discovered Herod the Great's burial site, Eric Silver looks at the life of the Jewish king who killed three of his sons, executed one of his wives and ordered the massacre of the innocents

Published: 09 May 2007

Under a brain-numbing sun, the mountain gradually gave up its secrets to the archaeologists' trowels. A flight of stairs - part of the route of the elaborate funeral procession planned by the tyrannical ruler - leads to the very place where the notorious king of Judea was buried.

Yesterday, on the powdery grey flank of an artificial mountain overlooking the Arab villages and Jewish settlements scattered across the Judean Wilderness, Israeli scholars presented their answer to one of the great mysteries of biblical archaeology: the tomb of Herod the Great, a Roman client king who ruled the Jews with the ruthless paranoia of a Stalin or Saddam Hussein from 37BC until his death in 4BC.

For Ehud Netzer, professor of archaeology at the Hebrew University, the find was the culmination of a 30-year search. Herod was known to have been buried at Herodium, the towering desert fortress he built for that purpose a day's march south of Jerusalem.

The Roman historian Josephus Flavius described the lavish funeral procession in his book The Jewish Wars, the unchallenged source book of the Second Temple era. He told how the body was attended by members of the family richly dressed in silks and jewels, how soldiers from across the ancient world paraded in their armour, as for war, accompanied by hundreds of attendants carrying spices such as frankincense. He said the king's body was covered in a purple shroud and carried on a bier

The fellow was really unpopular, in spite of the lavishness of his send-off. Evidently, the tomb was pretty well smashed up by those wanting to piss on his grave to get in a little post-mortem revenge, which is rather pointless when you think about it.

It's a very good article from an archeological viewpoint. The Independent's usually are.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  04:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually remember, as I'm sure Fil recalls, Groucho Marx asking that question (except it was Grant's Tomb) of the more clueless contestants whom he nevertheless liked on his quiz show, "You Bet Your Life." Some, if I recall rightly, got the answer wrong.

Damn, Groucho was good!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  05:20:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I actually remember, as I'm sure Fil recalls, Groucho Marx asking that question (except it was Grant's Tomb) of the more clueless contestants whom he nevertheless liked on his quiz show, "You Bet Your Life." Some, if I recall rightly, got the answer wrong.

Damn, Groucho was good!

I figgered if someone came up with that, it'd be you. Damn, but we're old!

And he was damned good! I believe it was Groucho who said to the effect that he didn't want to be affilated with any organization that would accept him as a member. Words to live by.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/09/2007 05:23:00
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  06:33:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jesus?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  17:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
[The fellow was really unpopular, in spite of the lavishness of his send-off. Evidently, the tomb was pretty well smashed up by those wanting to piss on his grave to get in a little post-mortem revenge, which is rather pointless when you think about it.

It's a very good article from an archeological viewpoint. The Independent's usually are.

Umm... if the ancient Hebrews were anything at all like the Egyptians about kings and their grave goods, busting into the tomb could have been a profitable venture as well as emotionally satisfying.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.