Who Killed the Electric Car and other such films
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2007 :  20:37:40  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This month my Humanist group watched Who Killed the Electric Car for our movie night. This was the sort of film that totally had me - hook, line, and sinker. I got all jazzed-up about GM sabotaging the EV1 because it didn't like California's zero emissions mandate and fought the mandate by claiming that there wasn't enough of a market for EVs. I thought it was so horrible that this great vehicle was so maliciously crushed out of existence.

However, today I was poking around the Internet and found this review by Karl Brauer, Editor in Chief at Edmunds.com. It takes a more skeptical view of several of the claims in the film.

Now I'm not saying the film was total crap. But it was manipulative, and not all of its claims were nearly as cut-and-dry as they made it seem, and some conclusions seem to be entirely bs.

This really makes me want to give up watching these kind of films (political documentary). I mean, what's the point of watching something so blatantly biased? Does that really inform me more than it misinforms me? Do I have the time, intelligence, and discipline to really sort out the truth from the speculation and misleading info? I just don't know.

edited to fix links.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 05/07/2007 20:44:11

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  01:34:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There can be two views of the same thing. I wouldn't stop watching. There is a rebuttal out there to the criticism of the film. I'll find it for you tomorrow. The bottom line is the people with the cars were willing to keep them and take on repairs/maintenance themselves. But the cars were repossessed and destroyed. The companies excuse for doing so didn't hold water. The lack of a market is one argument, taking the cars back and making an incredulous excuse is another.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  19:07:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

There can be two views of the same thing. I wouldn't stop watching. There is a rebuttal out there to the criticism of the film. ...

Just two?

There are infinite shades of gray, and it gets even more fun if you allow colour too...

Of course, there are only two types of people in the world (insert your favourite qualifier here).

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.