Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  17:40:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I give it a two word review: Shit Sandwich.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  18:58:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I don't know... maybe one of those cute little Hobbit babes...

As the leadup to a pretty naughty joke goes: my perfect woman is one meter tall, has large ears, is toothless and has a flat head. The punchline is to rude for general viewing...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  19:26:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Ray holds up a banana and continues with, "Behold, the atheists' nightmare. Now if you study a well-made banana, you'll find, on the far side, there are 3 ridges. On the close side, two ridges. If you get your hand ready to grip a banana, you'll find on the far side there are three grooves, on the close side, two grooves. The banana and the hand are perfectly made, one for the other. You'll find the maker of the banana, Almighty God,
I agree, this was no accident. An instructive object that could easily be grasped by males and females. It is clear that God is a proponent adolescent inquiry.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:15:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by smoke:

It would have been even less than 3 days had it not been for Jonah who spent 3 days in the stomach of a whale.

WTF??? This has got to be the most ludicrous thing I've read this month. Care to explain the causal relationship between your Jonah fairy tale and your Jesus fairy tale? Please, Mr. Science, also include some evidence that it is possible for a human being to be ingested by a whale, survive for 3 days, and be successfully regurgitated.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  09:47:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by smoke

It would have been even less than 3 days...
"36 hours, tops. 35 if we did it on the week they set the clocks forward."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  08:33:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

So that bible verse is useless. Even if someone looks at nature and starts worshipping "god" there's no guarantee that they'll have the right one. They need "the bible" not nature. Think of the people in North America around the time of the crucifiction. How could they be saved by looking at nature?
Ask a Mormon.

But really, can I ask why all of you would spend your time watching the show? Most here know of Ray and Kirk and their views, so why watch other than to have an anti-religion orgy on SFN? Just a question.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  09:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
Most here know of Ray and Kirk and their views, so why watch other than to have an anti-religion orgy on SFN? Just a question.
It's not an anti-religion orgy, Robb. It's an anti-stupidity orgy. Dumb religous apologetics are still dumb, and they don't get a free pass because religion is not a special category off limts to criticism.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/15/2007 09:55:44
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:32:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

It's an anti-stupidity orgy. Dumb religous apologetics are still dumb, and they don't get a free pass because religion is not a special category off limts to criticism.
Sure, but their (Ray and Kirk) views have been discussed already in many threads on this site. I just thought that they have been dealt with and it would not be worth your time to watch the show. Also, if it is just about anti stupidity then why is there no thread on this guy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304447980554417691

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  10:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if it is just about anti stupidity then why is there no thread on this guy:
Because he's presenting his stupidity as humor, not as a world view to be taken seriously.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 05/15/2007 10:35:15
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:10:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, but their (Ray and Kirk) views have been discussed already in many threads on this site. I just thought that they have been dealt with and it would not be worth your time to watch the show.

I for one watched the show to see how well the Rational Respose Squad would perform.
And I think they came off fairly well.

The fact that they recieve threats of violence from Christians clearly is a sign that Christians aren't as confortable in their faith and as forgiving as Jesus wishes wished them to be.

Edited: spelling and grammar

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 05/15/2007 14:14:50
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  11:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Sure, but their (Ray and Kirk) views have been discussed already in many threads on this site. I just thought that they have been dealt with and it would not be worth your time to watch the show.

I for one watched the show to see how well the Rational Respose Squad would performed.
And I think they came off fairly well.

The fact that they recieve threats of violence from Christians clearly is a sign that Christians aren't as confortable in their faith and as forgiving as Jesus wishes them to be.
Jesus had no idea the damned mess he started. Bet he wouldn't go through a crucifixion for his followers' sake again.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  12:22:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The fact that they recieve threats of violence from Christians clearly is a sign that Christians aren't as confortable in their faith and as forgiving as Jesus wishes them to be.
I think this is a bit generalized. I assume they are not getting 80 million threats of violence.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  12:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think this is a bit generalized. I assume they are not getting 80 million threats of violence.
While I agree that it is worth examining the claims of Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron, and I don't think doing that is necessarily anti religion anymore than a skeptical take on any anti scientific or paranormal claim is, and for the fact that their stupidity was just displayed on Nightline, I would still be careful about lumping.

All Christians do not share Rays and Kirks views. And because there are some nutball death threats against those who would dare to disagree with them in debate does not make that a generally Christian thing to do, which may or may not be implied here, but it looks like it is…

I think Robb has a point…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  14:23:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course Robb has a point.

I just hope that he's such a stand up guy that he'd actually defend an atheist the next time he sees one being discriminated (or worse).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  15:08:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Also, if it is just about anti stupidity then why is there no thread on this guy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6304447980554417691
Had he set himself or his house on fire, he probably would have gotten a mention in our humor folder at some point in time.

But seriously folks, H. had it right: Ray and Kirk are evangelizing their stupidity, telling people that it's good to be stupid the way Kirk and Ray are stupid. Such missionary work requires a continual response, no? They certainly aren't resting on their alleged laurels.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.