Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Conspiracy Theories
 You conspiricy guys should be all over this.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  18:54:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

filthy---Thanks for the link, I will make good use of it.

Cuneiformist---"I assume you'd then claim that it's proof of UFO's?"

I did not say this is true; I stated his claim.

I thought it would add to the topic.

And that it did.

As for fixing links on SFN, don't forget our own forum codes. To make a website turn into something less cumbersome, you can use [url] and [/url] to help format things. For instance, typing:

[url="web address"]SFN[/url], where the web address is in the form "http://...", you'll get this:

SFN

Just use the brackets, some quote marks, and so on, and you are on your way!
Go to Top of Page

j911ob
Skeptic Friend

223 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  19:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send j911ob a Private Message  Reply with Quote

j911ob--- Your statement would hold more water if you had the name of " LBJs henchmen".

Without this name or a link this is nothing.

Click on the link cune gave.

Go on a torrent site and get hold of The Men who Killed Kennedy.

"Any pressurized can exposed to heat will explode like a grenade. Even a sealed bag of potato chips, if not melted by direct flame, can 'pop' with quite a report." - Kookbreaker at JREF, responding to reports of explosions in the towers.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  19:28:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
j911ob---The point I am making is if one states, "somebody did something at some time with proof from some guy.", this holds no authority.

A statement such as "Bob stole a bike from Sears, and Tom saw him do it." allows research of the facts.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  19:41:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Edited to remove oversized link.

Look, when you have a long link, use this site to shrink it down. ...

If I remember correctly, Filthy you're using Firefox. If you want to take the convenience a step further, there is an option to put a TinyURL icon on your toolbar allowing you to create a tinyurl of the page you're currently at with a single click.

As you well know, it's not particularly difficult to do manually, but I thought it worth mentioning.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:22:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by j911ob

Click on the link cune gave.
I did, and the presentation there is anything but "case closed." Instead, it's presented as identifiers-vs.-identifiers and an argument from authority on behalf of the "case closed" side of things.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:38:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy---Sorry

link

edited to fix link --Cune

Tell me why a supposed death bed confession from a confused, incontinent, etc., man taken by the only witness, a broke drug addict (whether you buy the claim he was clean or not the guy spent 20 years hustling for meth) is more likely to be credible than the more logical explanation the meth addict (or ex-meth addict) made it up for a quick buck?

From the beginning:The Last Confessions of E. Howard Hunt
....After a while, he had St. John wheel him into his bedroom and hoist him onto his bed. It smelled foul in there; he was incontinent; a few bottles of urine under the bed needed to be emptied; but he was beyond caring. He asked St. John to get him a diet root beer, a pad of paper and a pen.

Saint had come to Miami from Eureka, California, borrowing money to fly because he was broke. Though clean now, he had been a meth addict for twenty years, a meth dealer for ten of those years and a source of frustration and anger to his father for much of his life.....
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:45:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by j911ob

The fact is that a single fingerprint was found in the snipers nest in the book depository. This print was never matched to anyone. Then one of the leading fingerprint experts in a BLIND test matched it to one of LBJs henchmen who had already been convicted of a murder that LBJ had been implicated in. Case closed.
Again, my admittedly brief internet searching has found the above to be a rather overly-rosy summary of the situation. First off, the print in question is poorly preserved at best. Moreover, your assertion that it could be unequivocally matched to a person is dubious. Moreover, if it could be linked to an actual person, that person's connections to LBJ are circumspect.

I admit-- my investigation has been entirely based on web-surfing, and so lacks any real merit. However, it's clear that your "case closed" is really nothing more than "wishful thinking." Were it more compelling, actual authorities would no doubt be on the case; instead, it's the fodder for conspiracy websites.
And the new evidence only found:
"This finding means that the bullet fragments from the assassination that match could have come from three or more separate bullets,"
Could have as in not did. Why get excited over this unless and until 'could' is more likely to be 'did'?

Go to Top of Page

j911ob
Skeptic Friend

223 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send j911ob a Private Message  Reply with Quote

j911ob---The point I am making is if one states, "somebody did something at some time with proof from some guy.", this holds no authority.

A statement such as "Bob stole a bike from Sears, and Tom saw him do it." allows research of the facts.

Erm I was summarising the evidence contained in a link that had already been posted. I dont need to hold weight, the documentary is there to be watched.

"Any pressurized can exposed to heat will explode like a grenade. Even a sealed bag of potato chips, if not melted by direct flame, can 'pop' with quite a report." - Kookbreaker at JREF, responding to reports of explosions in the towers.
Go to Top of Page

j911ob
Skeptic Friend

223 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  20:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send j911ob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tell me why a supposed death bed confession from a confused, incontinent, etc., man taken by the only witness, a broke drug addict (whether you buy the claim he was clean or not the guy spent 20 years hustling for meth) is more likely to be credible than the more logical explanation the meth addict (or ex-meth addict) made it up for a quick buck?

Where is your proof he was confused?

What does his bladder function have to do with it?

How is his sons drug use relevant?

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  21:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked you which explanation was more likely. You didn't answer.

Go to Top of Page

j911ob
Skeptic Friend

223 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  21:05:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send j911ob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I asked you which explanation was more likely. You didn't answer.

Actually you didnt ask me but ill answer: His story is far more likely to be true. Hunt had nothing to lose.

Now answer my questions please.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  21:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had more than enough experience with both drug addicts and end of life conditions to have made the other two observations. I don't think there is need to prove someone with a 20 year drug history is likely to have been a hustler. Questioning that assumption is ridiculous.

Most people who are near death from massive body failure with old age are not sharp witted. When your whole body is failig as described, chances are not great the brain is completely spared. But really it's the drug scammer that lends weight to the more likely explanation. The failing body adds to the likelihood he saw a good chance of pulling it off.

I only asked which was the more likely explanation. I never said I had proof of either.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  21:10:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Hunt had nothing to lose", and Saint had a lot to gain. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Again, which is more likely?

I asked the collective "you".

Edited by - beskeptigal on 05/17/2007 21:12:37
Go to Top of Page

j911ob
Skeptic Friend

223 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  21:17:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send j911ob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in your world:

old equals confused

incontinent equals confession cant be trusted

former drug addict equals dishonest

mmmmmKay!

So you just stated as fact that he was confused with no evidence whatsoever.

I have seen many people die from old age. Strangely enough, not one of them made a tape saying they were involved in a murder.

Hunt was suspected of involvement for many years. You have no reason to dismiss his confession. Please try again.

Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  22:08:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have no reason to conclude that the claiims of a spy-novel writing lifelong fantasist like Hunt are correct, either.

If this "confession" can be corroborated by independent evidence then it would be worth more consideration. Unless and until that happens, claims of "case closed" are much more reflective of a personal commitment to the paranoid conspiracist mode of thought than they are reflective of the evidence.

Regarding the bullet tests, it seems to me that this new analysis means that neither the hypothesis that the bullet fragments were from no more than two bullets nor the hypothesis that they were from three or more has been falsified. That leaves us in exactly the same place we would be had no NAA analysis been undertaken at all, that is, stuck with considering the same old entire body of evidence.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.