Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  18:17:23  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know the Creation Museum is finally opened. After all these years of being prevented from telling their side, now those Christians can finally get the word out...
From Yahoo! News: Thou Shalt Not Lie...

While the $27 million museum near Cincinnati has drawn snickers from media and condemnation from U.S. scientists, those who believe God created the heavens and the Earth in six days about 6,000 years ago say their views are finally being represented.

"What we've done here is to give people an opportunity to hear information that is not readily available ... to challenge them that really you can believe the Bible's history," said Ken Ham, president of the group Answers in Genesis that founded the museum.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  18:23:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Lordy! Isn't this event one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2007 :  21:02:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it opens on the 28th.

But yeah.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  10:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't... stop.... laughing...

[Edited to replace original link with a TinyURL - Dave W.]

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:10:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

What are you laughing at? That site seems to be in support of evolution. Or were you trying to point us to a particular thread?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:32:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we have here is a 27 million dollar comedy show. Once the shine has worn off, it will become a minor vacation stop for the blindly faithful, and an object of hilarity and ridicule for everyone else (both of which are already happening). After all, on a more modest scale it's been done before and hasn't posed any threat to the ToE yet. Nor will it. Ever.

AiG's just preaching to the choir with a friendly Godzilla for shits and giggles.

I fully intend to go, probably in late summer, before fall surf fishing. Summer's a bummer and far more important matters are at hand in the fall.

It is my understanding that the theater has "rumbling chairs." Ye gods, my 'roids! Have they no pity...?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:36:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

What are you laughing at? That site seems to be in support of evolution. Or were you trying to point us to a particular thread?
It's an off-shoot of the Pands's Thumb. I lurk around there a bit. Go to the "After the Bar Closes," page and all will be made clear.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  13:04:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, links into antievolution.org don't work here because they use semicolons within their URLs and that's a security risk for our servers here. We don't let 'em go through, we turn 'em into spaces. So anytime you link to that site, the link will just go to their homepage. Sorry, but it's annoyed the hell out of me a few times already, too.

But it just occured to me that TinyURL would be a good work-around for that problem.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  13:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, that works. Try the link again, Kil (and anyone else).

It's pretty funny.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  13:31:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doh!

Thanks Dave_W. Didn't know the ; would be rejected.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Edited by - Dude on 05/28/2007 13:32:32
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  14:44:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't know, either, the first time I tried to link to antievolution.org.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  19:51:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I didn't know, either, the first time I tried to link to antievolution.org.

For those that care, it's because semicolons are used in various scripting/programming languages to separate statements.

One exploit relies on tacking on some text after a legitimate database query by using a semicolon and then some other, potentially malicious code. There are similar exploits for PHP.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  02:17:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, never mind all this computer stuff. Ham's Humongus Folly is more fun. From the LA Times:

Yabba-dabba science

Note to would-be Creation Museum visitors: the Earth is round.
May 24, 2007

THE CREATION MUSEUM, a $27-million tourist attraction promoting earth science theories that were popular when Columbus set sail, opens near Cincinnati on Memorial Day. So before the first visitor risks succumbing to the museum's animatronic balderdash — dinosaurs and humans actually coexisted! the Grand Canyon was carved by the great flood described in Genesis! — we'd like to clear up a few things: "The Flintstones" is a cartoon, not a documentary. Fred and Wilma? Those woolly mammoth vacuum cleaners? All make-believe.

Science is under assault, and that calls for bold truths. Here's another: The Earth is round.

The museum, a 60,000-square-foot menace to 21st century scientific advancement, is the handiwork of Answers in Genesis, a leader in the "young Earth" movement. Young Earthers believe the world is about 6,000 years old, as opposed to the 4.5 billion years estimated by the world's credible scientific community. This would be risible if anti-evolution forces were confined to a lunatic fringe, but they are not. Witness the recent revelation that three of the Republican candidates for president do not believe in evolution. Three men seeking to lead the last superpower on Earth reject the scientific consensus on cosmology, thermonuclear dynamics, geology and biology, believing instead that Bamm-Bamm and Dino played together

My point is, if not made, at least renforced. I'm only suprised that more of the political panderers at the Republican debate failed to pass the YEC muster. I'd not be at all suprised if, down the road a little, one or more who did claimed to be waving at mom, and others that they didn't hear the question.

The hilarity and ridicule have begun. Let it grow apace with AiG's early gate reciepts.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/29/2007 02:20:53
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  02:45:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't a Matrix museum be more interesting? Signs could proclaim that the Earth as we know it is actually nine years old and that Al Gore is really Agent Smith.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  03:26:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not familiar with the Matrix, but does it have great eddycation stuff like this here in it?
How did millions of mammoth fossils form?
Q: ‘It has been guesstimated that there are the remains of some six million woolly mammoths in the Arctic Circle alone. My neighbour states that it would be impossible for such a number to have multiplied in the approx. 1700 years from Creation to the Flood.' — J.E.

A: First, six million mammoths is hugely exaggerated. There are fewer than 50 known woolly mammoth carcasses, only about a half-dozen of which were complete. An estimated 50,000 tusks have been found, although there may have been a million mammoths living at one time.

And would it have definitive proof that helocentrism is an atheist conspiricy, as shown here?
Blogs 4 BrownbackMay 18, 2007
Heliocentrism is an Atheist Doctrine

Filed under: Faith, Science — Sisyphus @ 10:04 am

What's even worse than the debate raging in American schools about the teaching of the soulless doctrine of evolution, is the non-debate over an issue that rational Americans have foolishly conceded to the secular among us: the issue of Heliocentrism, or the idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Now, it has to be granted that there may be some mathematical evidence going either way; mathematically speaking, Copernicus may be on ground nearly as firm as that of Tycho Brahe. Right-thinking people know the correct doctrine, however:

Heliocentrism is the view that the sun is at the center of the universe. It was proposed by some ancient Greeks,[1] and became the dominant view in the 1700s and 1800s. It was abandoned in the 20th century.

Since the advent of relativity theory in the early 1900s, the laws of physics have been written in covariant equations, meaning that they are equally valid in any frame. Heliocentric and geocentric theories are both used today, depending on which allows more convenient calculations

It seems clear that it may occasionally be convenient to assume that the calculations of Copernicus and Kepler were mathematically sound. However, for both moral and theological reasons, we should always bear in mind that the Earth does not move. If it moved, we would feel it moving. That's called empiricism, the experience of the senses. Don't take my word for it, or the evidence of your own senses, Copernicans. There's also the Word of the Lord:
I mean, where else would you find these charecters? If this Matrix thingy has them, sign me up; I'll love it!

Brownback, incidently, was one of the Three Stooges to raise hands at the debate.

Say, didn't we once have a Sisyphus posting here some years ago?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  06:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then there's this little gem:
Ann Coulter's "Flatulent Raccoon Theory"

Executive summary

Ann Coulter's Godless: The Church of Liberalism Evolution Misinformation

In her book Godless: The Church of Liberalism (Crown Forum, June 2006), right-wing pundit Ann Coulter devotes two chapters to a bizarre attempt to disprove the theory of evolution. With a mix of misleading claims, pseudo-scientific arguments, distortions of evolutionary theory, and outright falsehoods, Coulter places herself not only outside the mainstream but truly toward the lunatic fringe. After all, no reasonable person argues that one cannot believe in God and simultaneously accept the findings of decades of accumulated research on evolution. Yet, Coulter appears to believe that in order to prove that liberals are "godless," she must attack evolutionary theory itself.

Though she stops short of saying that the earth is 6,000 years old and Adam and Eve rode through the Garden of Eden on the backs of dinosaurs, in her quest to disprove evolutionary theory, Coulter echoes the arguments of the creationists from whom even many religious conservatives distanced themselves long ago.

Among her falsehoods, misinformation, and distortions, Coulter:

Misstates how fossils demonstrate the evolutionary transition from reptiles and mammals, as well as the fossil record of dinosaurs and mammals.

Distorts the likelihood that a living creature will be fossilized.
Distorts the duration of the period known as the Cambrian explosion, omits important information about its significance, and suggests that 10 million years is "sudden."

On transitional fossils, misrepresents relation of the Archaeopteryx to modern birds.
The rendolent raccoon is a little farther along, but, to perhaps save you the time, it's a sad and semi-plagerized copy of the Flying Spagetti Monster. Except in her version, it's a not-entirely-healthy raccoon.

I wonder; are she and Ham siblings under the skin, like Bush and Putin? Have they gazed into each other's blank eyes and compared the shallows of their souls? Have they...... No, better not go there....

I think she's just bitter that the Flying Spagetti Monster has yet to fondle her with it's Noodley Appendage, and nobody else wants to with any appendage.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.