Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:16:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

I wonder; are she and Ham siblings under the skin, like Bush and Putin? Have they gazed into each other's blank eyes and compared the shallows of their souls? Have they...... No, better not go there....
No, Coulter gave all credit for the "science" in those two chapters of Godless to one William A. Dembski, who was rather proud of his contributions.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:38:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I wonder; are she and Ham siblings under the skin, like Bush and Putin? Have they gazed into each other's blank eyes and compared the shallows of their souls? Have they...... No, better not go there....

Or, as Dylan sang:
You said you'd never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And ask him do you want to make a deal?
I can see Ann Coulter ending up like the subject of "Like a Rolling Stone."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  11:42:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

No, Coulter gave all credit for the "science" in those two chapters of Godless to one William A. Dembski, who was rather proud of his contributions.
Did she and is he, now?

I haven't read the book (nor intend to) and only the briefest of reviews of it, so I'm unsure of her references. If it's Dembski and other ID floggers, I'm ahead of the game.

It is interesting to note that the Discovery page fails to mention Ham's Creation Buck & Wing in favor of the assistant professor at Iowa State who was denied tenure. It turns out that he's one of theirs, who'da thunk?.

Heh, I found this at Red State Rabble:

Pretty much tells the tale, doesn't it?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  12:29:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, I have heard that mAnn Coulter has been hooking up with J.J. Walker. He mentioned it on a news program he was being interviewed on a few weeks back.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  13:21:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did she and is he, now?
Yeah, we discussed it back in the Godless thread started by GK Paul last August.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  15:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did she and is he, now?
Yeah, we discussed it back in the Godless thread started by GK Paul last August.
Um, 15 pages. I'm not sure I was involved in that one. Sometimes I pass on these -- done 'em too many times. Too lazy to thumb through it all for conformation though....

Dude:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
filthy, I have heard that mAnn Coulter has been hooking up with J.J. Walker. He mentioned it on a news program he was being interviewed on a few weeks back.
I hadn't heard that. But then, I'm not sure I've heard of Mr. Walker until now, either, so it's not all that out of the ordinary. I wonder how long he'll put up with her, assuming that he still is. .

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  17:48:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Did she and is he, now?
Um, 15 pages. I'm not sure I was involved in that one. Sometimes I pass on these -- done 'em too many times. Too lazy to thumb through it all for conformation though....
You shouldn't have had to thumb through anything. That link should have taken you right to a post of mine in which I said:
Shortly after Godless hit the shelves, Dembski claimed responsibility for any errors that appear in those three chapters, meaning he was intimately involved in their creation. Coulter has apparently done nothing to disabuse anyone of that notion. So, the idea that she got everything in those chapters (even the endnotes) from Dembski makes perfect sense. Coulter probably just rewrote them in her own venomous style.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  21:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy said:
I hadn't heard that. But then, I'm not sure I've heard of Mr. Walker until now, either, so it's not all that out of the ordinary. I wonder how long he'll put up with her, assuming that he still is. .

Not a fan of TV I take it? hehe.

He was in a 70s sitcom called Good Times.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  02:32:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

filthy said:

Not a fan of TV I take it? hehe.

He was in a 70s sitcom called Good Times.

Nope, not much of a fan. But now that you point it out, I remember that show. My ex was a toob addict and watched them all. There were some good shows in the '70s, that even I liked.

Dave, I went looking for something I'd posted, don't ask me why. Guess I'm a little slow this week -- sorry 'bout that, got something else on my mind.

Coulter has been accused of palagrism more times than anyone cares to keep track of, and Dembski enjoys the spotlight (except in Dover, PA, where it got a tad too intense for him). They make a pretty effective team, in a Y. pestis vectoring sort of way.

But I still wonder that, in spite of philosophical differences, Dembski made no mention of the Grand Opening of the Amazing Mechanical Creation Spasm, starring the Usual Suspects, on the DI page. Sour grapes, mayhap?

Here's the latest from AiG. They are certainly full of themselves over it all.
Thou shalt not lie

Laymanby John UpChurch, AiG–U.S.May 29, 2007

Creationism is sometimes dismissed by critics with words like “creationist nonsense.” Then there are the accusations of “anti-science” and “anti-reason” that are increasingly humming through the blogosphere and trying to drown out the creationist arguments, especially with the opening of a new creationist center.

But the just-opened Creation Museum near the Cincinnati Airport is being heard above the din. Its quality is not laughed away (as even those who disagree with the message cannot deny the attention to quality and the eye for detail that is evident throughout). The Bible has come to life, and the science presented here is not easy to dismiss. While evolutionists have had quite a free reign over the past decades in monopolizing the world's universities, journals, and science museums, Monday's grand opening was, as Mike Zovath (VP, AiG U.S., Creation Museum) put it, “the end of the beginning.”

A group called The Campaign to Defend the Constitution (DefCon) sent a plane to circle the museum on Saturday with a banner that read, “DefCon says thou shalt not lie.” Well, we couldn't agree more. Indeed, the goal of Answers in Genesis and its new Creation Museum is to make sure that the public knows the truth about evolution and the billions-of-years ideology. Contrary to what museum critics have said, AiG wants people to learn about evolution (and, in fact, you can find out quite a bit about the evolutionary timeline in the museum), but we also want them to see and understand the presuppositions that underlie that belief system and the differences between operational science (i.e., repeatable, observable science) and origins science (i.e., unrepeatable, unobservable science). The museum's opening marked the “end of the beginning” of the opening of eyes of the public to the trustworthiness of God's Word.
Actually, I think our side fucked up. If th

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  06:00:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is an excellent article by a student who managed to tour the show (I refuse to call it a museum) on Family Day:
From the Creation Museum website:
"The Creation Museum is located just 7 miles west of the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport and within a day's drive of almost 2/3 of the U.S. population (within 650 miles of the museum)."

The museum is located about 15 miles from my house, and is very near after getting off the Interstate. It is fairly easy to find and navigate, and in a very scenic and open landscape.

The parking lot was rather small. I came to the museum on a "family day" at 7:00pm, and the entire lot was filled, other cars were driving around searching for spots (I can't imagine opening day). Plenty of security and traffic coordinators made sure cars were able to park and pedestrians were able to walk safely.

The entrance to the museum was very minimal, but eye-catching. The outside definitely does not suggest how large the inside of the building actually is. The giant globe that is supposed to be outside the main entrance has not been installed, yet. A tent was set up for the media and possibly an event held for "family day."
And lots of photos, such as this one:

It's well written and pretty comprehensive, and the many photos aren't too shabby. Found it at the Thumb.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  09:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PZ Myers posted a huge carnival about the museum. Good quote:
Does the opposition to creationism matter? Yes, it does. Answers in Genesis is a predatory organization: it thrives on ignorance, and it misinforms and misleads and lies specifically to inculcate the kind of gullibility and fear and desperation that will send more donations to its coffers.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  08:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone doubted the insanity of some of these people:
...the campaign last year also involved John Mackay, a former associate of Mr Ham in Queensland, who was excommunicated in the 1980s after making allegations of witchcraft and necrophilia against a fellow member of the ministry.

- "Biblical battle of creation groups," emphasis added
Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot in that article about why Ham's old Australian group is now suing him.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

If anyone doubted the insanity of some of these people:
...the campaign last year also involved John Mackay, a former associate of Mr Ham in Queensland, who was excommunicated in the 1980s after making allegations of witchcraft and necrophilia against a fellow member of the ministry.

- "Biblical battle of creation groups," emphasis added
Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot in that article about why Ham's old Australian group is now suing him.
Dave, this goes back a ways. There has been little love lost since Ham split his ministry off from the Ozzies. This suit looks to me as trying to get some paybacks for the unlubricated fucking Ham gave them in parting.

He's very good at screwing people out of their worldly goods. If what we have read is correct, his silly fantasia is carrying no debt ("donations" paid all of it), and he'll still hoover a double sawbuck out of anyone with a billfold who passes blearly through it's doors.

Where Ham or any of these holy grifters are concerned, follow the money, bro; follow the money. Betcha it's all tax exempt too, every lonesome, cryin' dime. He's got himself a freakin' gold mine with no stockholders to pay dividends, and the initial investement coughed up by everybody else.

Y'know, in a rather slimy way, you've got to admire that.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  07:33:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Onion chimes in

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2007 :  09:07:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by GeeMack

I'm sure you'll all be pleased to know the Creation Museum is finally opened. After all these years of being prevented from telling their side, now those Christians can finally get the word out...
From Yahoo! News: Thou Shalt Not Lie...

While the $27 million museum near Cincinnati has drawn snickers from media and condemnation from U.S. scientists, those who believe God created the heavens and the Earth in six days about 6,000 years ago say their views are finally being represented.

"What we've done here is to give people an opportunity to hear information that is not readily available ... to challenge them that really you can believe the Bible's history," said Ken Ham, president of the group Answers in Genesis that founded the museum.

Where in the gospel does it say to spend $27,000,000 to retell what is said in the Bible using "science"? The people that will give money for a creation museum that misrepresents both science and Christianity are confused. How many people could $27,000,000 help? Instead they spend it on junk.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.