Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  03:34:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ken Ham: the George Washington of our times.
Vision Forum of San Antonio, Texas has temporarily relocated many of its staff to Virginia this week as they hold a series of special events commemorating America's 1607 founding in Jamestown.1 It's all part of a week-long event that VF has organized called The Jamestown Quadricentennial (1607-2007): A Celebration of America's Providential History. This commemoration is intended to spotlight the role played by the Jamestown colonists in introducing Christian-based legal principles and liberty to North America,2 thus helping to lay a foundation for America's "Founding Fathers" to build upon some 175 years later.

At Vision Forum's opening night ceremony in Hampton, Virginia (south of Jamestown), AiG-U.S. President Ken Ham received (in absentia) a distinct patriotic honor (especially considering that Ken is an Australian by birth, but is now also a U.S. citizen): the George Washington Man of the Year Award.

Here is the background to this award provided by Vision Forum:

“Last night I participated in a standing ovation for Ken Ham at Vision Forum's “Jamestown 400 Celebration” and for [his receiving] the George Washington Award. Tell him ‘congratulations' from me! (And that is really saying something, because I very rarely use exclamation points.)”

—T.C., Georgia, U.S.
“Extraordinary times require extraordinary men. George Washington was a giant of a man—uniquely crafted by the Lord and providentially raised up for a defining moment in our history. He was God's tool to bring military victory to the cause of independence, to oversee the crafting of our Constitution, and to shape and define the meaning and nature of the American Presidency.

“As we progress into the twenty-first century, the future of Americans again seems uncertain. The urgency of the hour is for unflinching, stalwart men—men who boldly proclaim the law of God—to stand with might in the very gates of the land, fighting in the defining battles of our generation.

“Each year, Vision Forum gives the George Washington Man of the Year Award to recognize and honor that man who most clearly demonstrates, through their public courage, the stalwart spirit and mature leadership of the General himself.”
And who pray, is the Vision forum? You guessed it, clever fellows.

It is said that patriotism is the final refuge of a scoundrel, and some say it's the first refuge they duck into at the merest hint of opposition. I really don't think that applies in this case, either way. What exactly has Ham said or done that is out-of-his-way patriotic, or indeed, otherwise? The guy is merely a well-spoken entertainent impressario with a gift for lightening purses and making their owners like it. I think he would better have been awarded the slightly lesser but still prestigious P.T. Barnham Award for Creative Hogwash.

Y'know, I miss having Hovind to kick around, but Ham seems to be stepping into his shoes. They fit rather well.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  07:00:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hundreds of years ago, Ken Ham probably would have been considered a benighted Medieval thinker by most of the Founding Fathers. Jefferson would have had some choice words for his Biblical literalism. Even the rather conservative Washington probably would have raised his eyebrows at so primitive a thinker.

As the ruling theocrats begin to wane in America after years of parasitic feasting, they sink deeper into their crapulence and isolate themselves with their increasingly extremist views. By lauding Ken Ham (Ken Ham!) on a par with our first President, they paint themselves into a Creationist corner, as more and more young people laugh at their antics.

Extremists usually create a reaction to their extremism. I'm delighted that these bozos are working so hard at it.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  09:25:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Hundreds of years ago, Ken Ham probably would have been considered a benighted Medieval thinker by most of the Founding Fathers. Jefferson would have had some choice words for his Biblical literalism. Even the rather conservative Washington probably would have raised his eyebrows at so primitive a thinker.

Wasn't Washington a Deist rather than a Christian? I believe Adams was the only one of the first five presidents who was a Christian.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  12:22:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Wasn't Washington a Deist rather than a Christian? I believe Adams was the only one of the first five presidents who was a Christian.
As I recall, you're correct. Washington, as well as the great majority of our founding fathers was a Deist. They remembered too well the abuses of the Church in England. It wasn't all that much earlier that burning Catholics was something of a religious, spectator sport.

But that matters not at all. They could have been necrophilatic Satan worshipers and the religiously insane would have embraced them as Christians anyway. To them, any famous Anglo-Saxon who is long dead and can't argue against them is a Christian hero.

I think they're regarding Ham as their version of The Great White Hope.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds.