Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  09:35:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess when I see the flag I do think primarily of the good things about this country and the ideals we strive for. I think it is wise for all of us to reflect on the good as well as the bad that the US does.

People do constructive things, and they do destructive things. Most of the destructive things (some parts of) the U.S. has done is with the flag flying, and lots of talk about God and Freedom. Much of what has been done that is constructive has been done against (parts of) the government trying to increase its power and the wealth of a few at the expense of the many.

It's fine to think of the good things when you look at the flag. First, take a dozen of them and wipe your ass with them and burn and stomp on them. Then we can get over the sacredness of a piece of cloth, and focus on what's important.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/08/2007 09:36:41
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  10:21:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I guess when I see the flag I do think primarily of the good things about this country and the ideals we strive for. I think it is wise for all of us to reflect on the good as well as the bad that the US does.

People do constructive things, and they do destructive things. Most of the destructive things (some parts of) the U.S. has done is with the flag flying, and lots of talk about God and Freedom. Much of what has been done that is constructive has been done against (parts of) the government trying to increase its power and the wealth of a few at the expense of the many.

It's fine to think of the good things when you look at the flag. First, take a dozen of them and wipe your ass with them and burn and stomp on them. Then we can get over the sacredness of a piece of cloth, and focus on what's important.
I know you think it is silly to actually claim that the US has done some good. I know your hatred of the US runs deep. And I agree that we have done things that are horrible (slavery, native americans, internment camps etc.) but this has been the most benevolent country to ever exist. Alot of things like slavery, minority rights were changed because of our freedom to demonstrate and call the government and society to account for wrongs. We saw how that went over in China a while back (not good). Many people in the world cannot say a bad word about their government and not expect retribution unlike yourself.

We get too caught up in the negatives and every once in a while we need to remember the good in this country. I use the opportunity when I see the flag to do this. Stomp all you want on it, I will not stop you but I will never be part of it.

I hope Gorgo that you are trying to change the things you are unhappy about and not just complaining.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  10:28:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you think it is silly to actually claim that the US has done some good.

I just said that some of the people of the U.S. have done some contructive things, and some of the people of the U.S. have done some destructive things. What word did I use that you didn't understand?

In what sentence did I use the word 'hate?' I hate nothing.

I suppose you think it's silly to claim that anyone has done destructive things?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/08/2007 10:30:12
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  10:31:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I know you think it is silly to actually claim that the US has done some good.

I just said that some of the people of the U.S. have done some contructive things, and some of the people of the U.S. have done some destructive things. What word did I use that you didn't understand?

In what sentence did I use the word 'hate?' I hate nothing.

I suppose you think it's silly to claim that anyone has done destructive things?
Ok your right, I apologize. Have a great weekend.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  10:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We saw how that went over in China a while back (not good). Many people in the world cannot say a bad word about their government and not expect retribution unlike yourself.

This is true. This was done at a great cost, however. I'm not talking about the U.S. attacking Vietnam or Yugoslavia, I'm talking about at great cost within the country. Many people died and suffered fighting those in power to get it. It was not given by the military attacking Vietnam or Korea or Yugoslavia or Iraq or killing Indians, etc. while people waved the flag and talked about how God was behind them.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  11:04:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

...but this has been the most benevolent country to ever exist.

Uh-hu. To its citizens, maybe. I agree the U.S. has done a lot of good for the world, but to call it the most benevolent country, ever, is a bit too much for my third-world-country-born mind.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  11:10:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Central and South Americans are all rich and healthy now thanks to U.S. benevolence, right?

Yeah, even the Marshall Plan which certainly had its good aspects, was largely about fighting what the population of the country wanted to make sure that markets were open for the exploitation of US companies.

I think much of foreign aid is about the same thing. That's not all bad, certainly.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/08/2007 11:13:21
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  14:27:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

I know you think it is silly to actually claim that the US has done some good. I know your hatred of the US runs deep. And I agree that we have done things that are horrible (slavery, native americans, internment camps etc.) but this has been the most benevolent country to ever exist. Alot of things like slavery, minority rights were changed because of our freedom to demonstrate and call the government and society to account for wrongs. We saw how that went over in China a while back (not good). Many people in the world cannot say a bad word about their government and not expect retribution unlike yourself.

We get too caught up in the negatives and every once in a while we need to remember the good in this country. I use the opportunity when I see the flag to do this. Stomp all you want on it, I will not stop you but I will never be part of it.

I hope Gorgo that you are trying to change the things you are unhappy about and not just complaining.

I agree the US has done a lot of good things. However, concerning the abolishment of slavery and rights for minorities the US was NOT ahead of many countries. Plus, SOME other countries have problems... BIG PROBLEMS. But they´re not MOST countries in the world as you claim.

Another thing is that US governments often claim to be the keepers of peace of the world, the leaders in all sorts of freedoms and human rights. And when you claim such a thing, you have to have an almost inmaculate record so as not to create the illusion that you are being hypocritical. And that´s where a lot of the hatred for the US government comes from.

Also, you can´t claim all that about US and then support a dictatorial regime abroad as it often happened. (not you personally but the government).

That said, it is true you shouldn´t forget about the good thing as you shouldn´t forget about the bad.

Cheers.
perro de tokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:15:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Wikipedia:
Today, defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).

So, this is where National law trumps State law?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:17:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by perrodetokio

I agree the US has done a lot of good things. However, concerning the abolishment of slavery and rights for minorities the US was NOT ahead of many countries. Plus, SOME other countries have problems... BIG PROBLEMS. But they´re not MOST countries in the world as you claim.
I agree we were not ahead of other countries however I was trying to make the point that we have the ability to affect change without government retribution.

Another thing is that US governments often claim to be the keepers of peace of the world, the leaders in all sorts of freedoms and human rights. And when you claim such a thing, you have to have an almost inmaculate record so as not to create the illusion that you are being hypocritical. And that´s where a lot of the hatred for the US government comes from.
All governments are hypocritical at times. They do things for their own interest alot of times. I do not claim that the US has not supported oppressive governments or given money to these regimes. I do make the claim though that the US gives more charity than any other country that exists today in many different forms. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/66060.htm.

Also, you can´t claim all that about US and then support a dictatorial regime abroad as it often happened. (not you personally but the government).
Are you saying that because we have supported dictorial regimes in the past that all the good the US has done should not count somehow?

That said, it is true you shouldn´t forget about the good thing as you shouldn´t forget about the bad.
Agreed, We should never just harp on one side all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.freedumbusa.ca/

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  16:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

From Wikipedia:
Today, defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).

So, this is where National law trumps State law?
No, it is still legal to deface the american flag. If an ammendment to the constitution is ratified then this case would be trumped.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  20:00:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb, think of flag burning/desecration like this:

This country was funded by people who dissented from their lawfull government. (the reasons are many, and mostly good ones, but not relevent to my point)

They tried to make sure that all US citizens would retain the right to dissent. They made free speech the new law of he land.

So ask yourself this: What is a greater desecration? Burning a flag or restricting the right to free speech and expression? Which of those things is more important? The symbol or the actual thing that symbol represents?

It is an act of tyranny to make a law that forbids destroying a US flag. It violates the first ammendment, and it dishonors all those who have sacrificed their lives (and more) to ensure that we have the right to speak our minds. They didn't do it for the symbol, they did it to protect what that symbol stands for.

When you see a US citizen burning or in some other way desecrating a US flag, you should think to yourself,"Gotta love it. Its awesome to live in a country where I can do that and not be imprisoned or executed."

To quote Lenny Bruce, "Take away the right to say FUCK, and you take away the right to say FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!"

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  21:05:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Robb, think of flag burning/desecration like this:

This country was funded by people who dissented from their lawfull government. (the reasons are many, and mostly good ones, but not relevent to my point)

They tried to make sure that all US citizens would retain the right to dissent. They made free speech the new law of he land.

So ask yourself this: What is a greater desecration? Burning a flag or restricting the right to free speech and expression? Which of those things is more important? The symbol or the actual thing that symbol represents?

It is an act of tyranny to make a law that forbids destroying a US flag. It violates the first ammendment, and it dishonors all those who have sacrificed their lives (and more) to ensure that we have the right to speak our minds. They didn't do it for the symbol, they did it to protect what that symbol stands for.

When you see a US citizen burning or in some other way desecrating a US flag, you should think to yourself,"Gotta love it. Its awesome to live in a country where I can do that and not be imprisoned or executed."

To quote Lenny Bruce, "Take away the right to say FUCK, and you take away the right to say FUCK THE GOVERNMENT!"

Dude, we are on the same page. (even if you can't believe it)

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  07:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Robb's defense, he never said he was for outlawing flag burning - only that it makes his blood boil. The same way I'm against psychics but not vying to outlaw their practice...

As for charity, well, we've covered that in the past, didn't we? That the U.S. does more charity than any other country, only, proportionally, it's also the most powerful country in the world, no other country has the capacity the U.S. has for doing charity? I can't really see, say, Brazil doing much charity - when it can't even help itself to leave it's 500 years old sinkhole. Or China, for all that matters.

Which does not erase the intent of doing charity - yes, it's good it does charity, great, thank you, but that doesn't erase the fact half the rest of the continent would probably be better without its, ah, 'help', either.

Me, I'd rather think no country is good or bad - just countries, with people in it, inherently flawed people, protecting their own interests and, sometimes, their own people - just like every single tribe that emerged in this beloved mudball. Only, some countries defend their own interests more forcefully than others, y'know, like the U.S...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 06/09/2007 07:47:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.