Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  09:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia said:
On Robb's defense, he never said he was for outlawing flag burning - only that it makes his blood boil.

I know.

He shouldn't be upset by it though. It should make him happy to see a fellow citizen burning or desecrating a US flag. It is an affirmation of everything the US flag represents that we can burn, spit on, step on, and otherwise be disrespectfull to our flag.

The ultra-nationalist mindset that places the country and it's symbols ahead of personal freedoms (like free speech) is wrong. The people who cheer when laws like the Nebraska law are passed don't really care about the values this country was founded on. And if Robb really cared, was truly invested in the most positive aspects of this country, then he wouldn't be pissed off by seeing a flag destroyed in protest.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  10:28:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Siberia said:
On Robb's defense, he never said he was for outlawing flag burning - only that it makes his blood boil.

I know.

My bad. I see what you meant now, and agree.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  15:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

From Wikipedia:
Today, defacing a flag is an act of protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, as established in Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), and reaffirmed in U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310 (1990).

So, this is where National law trumps State law?
No, it is still legal to deface the american flag. If an ammendment to the constitution is ratified then this case would be trumped.
I thought I just said that. At least, I intended to imply it. My question was supposed to get clarification from you that the Nebraska Flag desecration law currently is (or should be considered) unconstitutional.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  21:44:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mab said:
My question was supposed to get clarification from you that the Nebraska Flag desecration law currently is (or should be considered) unconstitutional.

Yeah.

States can pass any stupid ass law they like. If it gets challenged then the courts can determine if it is in violation of the constitution. The anti-flag desecration laws, like Nebraska's, are very likely (even with the current court, even Scalia voted in favor of Larry Flynt against Falwell when the topic was free speech) going to violate the right of free speech.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 06/09/2007 21:45:39
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  07:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I thought I just said that. At least, I intended to imply it. My question was supposed to get clarification from you that the Nebraska Flag desecration law currently is (or should be considered) unconstitutional.
Ok I misunderstood. I think it should be declared unconstitutional. People have the right to burn a flag if they want for any reason without reprisal from the government.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Edited by - Robb on 06/11/2007 07:56:46
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  07:51:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ok I misunderstood. I think it should be declared unconstitutional. People have the right to burn a flag if they want for any reason without reprisal from the government.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Edited by - Robb on 06/11/2007 07:56:11
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  08:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And if Robb really cared, was truly invested in the most positive aspects of this country, then he wouldn't be pissed off by seeing a flag destroyed in protest.
It is because of the positive aspects of this country, mainly the idealism of our freedoms, that gives me an emotional reaction to people that would want to burn the flag. There is plenty that I do not like about this country but at some point I need to balance that with the good of this country as well. I take the time that when I see a US flag to think of the positives of this country. It symbolizes what this country could ideally be to me. I do not require this of anybody else.

If people want to protest against Iraq, taxes, infringes on their freedoms etc. they can do that by other means. If they want the US to not exist then they can burn or wipe their ass with the flag. This is just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

And if Robb really cared, was truly invested in the most positive aspects of this country, then he wouldn't be pissed off by seeing a flag destroyed in protest.
It is because of the positive aspects of this country, mainly the idealism of our freedoms, that gives me an emotional reaction to people that would want to burn the flag. There is plenty that I do not like about this country but at some point I need to balance that with the good of this country as well. I take the time that when I see a US flag to think of the positives of this country. It symbolizes what this country could ideally be to me. I do not require this of anybody else.

If people want to protest against Iraq, taxes, infringes on their freedoms etc. they can do that by other means. If they want the US to not exist then they can burn or wipe their ass with the flag. This is just my opinion.
Just to toss in my 2 cents:

Dude, how would you feel if you saw somebody defacing a photograph of someone important to you; say, your mother. Can you now understand and accept the revulsion felt by Robb when he witnesses somebody defacing the US flag?

Though it is not an exact analogy, it is the same in principle.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:50:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was doing a little background on this topic when I ran across the following in Wikipedia:
It is illegal in Denmark, under section 110 (e) of the Danish penal code, to desecrate the flags or national symbols of foreign nations, while legal to burn the Dannebrog, Denmark's national flag. The Folketing's reasoning is as follows: the burning of foreign flags falls into the realm of foreign policy, as the burning of another country's flag could be understood as a threat to that country.

That's pretty cool.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  09:56:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, how would you feel if you saw somebody defacing a photograph of someone important to you; say, your mother. Can you now understand and accept the revulsion felt by Robb when he witnesses somebody defacing the US flag?

Hopefully, we can get past the point where we legislate by "feeling."

My mother will be fine, or not, regardless of whether or not someone defaces her picture, and the country will be fine, or not, regardless of what someone does to the flag.

People seem more concerned about symbols than they do with reality.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  10:14:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I agree, with the stipulation that we should never have legislated by "feeling." Though I understand that we have before, and likely will again, we gladly do not make it a habit.
My mother will be fine, or not, regardless of whether or not someone defaces her picture, and the country will be fine, or not, regardless of what someone does to the flag.
That is exactly why my analogy works.
People seem more concerned about symbols than they do with reality.
Is this comment directed at anybody in particular, or is it just rhetoric?

I am not sure if you think anybody here is advocating a law banning flag desecration; I assure you I advocate no such thing, and Robb has also stated such.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  10:44:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10
Just to toss in my 2 cents:

Though it is not an exact analogy, it is the same in principle.
I see your point, B10, but personally I think the only reaction I'd have is "you've got issues; get help." I might have more of a reaction if someone burned a really nice picture of [of a family member, girlfriend or group of friends or something] if it were irreplaceable or some such, but not because of my emotional attachment to my [family member, girlfriend or group of friends or something], but because it's a really nice picture that's hard to replace!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  11:43:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is exactly why my analogy works.

Guess I don't understand your point. I thought you were making some point that how someone feels is germaine to the discussion. My bad.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  11:46:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But let's not forget the reaction that Sinead O'Connor got by ripping up photos of the Pope.

For many people, a symbol is in many ways identical to the thing it symbolizes. Destroying a photo of the Pope is a metaphor for a desire to see the elimination of the Roman Catholic Church.

If burning the flag means nothing more than "I wanted to burn a flag," then the act is in no way a protest and could probably have been successfully and Constitutionally banned long ago for the public hazard a small, hard-to-control fire presents.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  12:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

No body is suggesting that we should legislate by feeling. Robb explicitly said that while he feels that way about the flag, desecration should still be legal. Boron's analogy with the picture was to emphasize this point and to try to get Dude to sympathize with how Robb feels towards flag burning.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/11/2007 12:38:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.