New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  09:04:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Cune, the American constitution does not establish either democracy or capitalism.

Your retort once again is built on a false premise.
I'd say that it establishes democracy. You know, elected officials and whatnot.

Republic

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  09:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Jerome wrote:
Current American government exhibits all of the traits of a communist state to varying degrees that would lead anyone unencumbered by years of propaganda to conclude that America is a communistic state.
So now the reason we disagree with your claim that the USA "exhibits all the traits of a communist state to varying degrees" - meaning it is a de facto communist state - is because we are encumbered by years of propaganda, but you are not. This is just insulting. Most of the people on this forum many hold opinions that are radically different from what they were raised to believe.

Please name 3 examples (specific ones) of propaganda that has so encumbered our critical thinking abilities.

Communism is inherently evil.

America is a Democracy.

These two are enough to produce a thinking that does not allow one to entertain the idea that America is communistic.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  10:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Cune, the American constitution does not establish either democracy or capitalism.

Your retort once again is built on a false premise.
I'd say that it establishes democracy. You know, elected officials and whatnot.

Republic
Ugh. Yes, we are a republic. I was using he broader definition of democracy to mean simply a government type featuring periodic free elections by the people. Under this broad government type come various forms of government, including the Republic which is the United States of America. Either way, it misses my point (surprise). I could argue that any nation with a "well-regulated militia" is a Republic. It's a worthless argument though-- just as worthless as claiming that any nation with free public education is by definition partly communist.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  18:44:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune, your point about "well regulated militia" is not valid as that phrase is not in a document that defines republic. It is a characteristic of a particular republic.

When a nation acts as a defined term it is that defined term; it does not matter what it is called. That is why I used de facto.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  19:33:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I disagree, as I'm sure many others do. Communism isn't evil. It's simply that anyone who tries communism seems to think they must first become a dictator to transition their government to communism. Of course, once they have all the power they never give it up.

America is a Democracy.

If by a Democracy you mean a government system where the officials are either directly or indirectly elected by the public, then yes. Of course, if you want to distort the definition, then you're going to have to say exactly what you mean by 'Democracy'.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/14/2007 19:37:41
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  19:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky, Ahh, but you are not old enough to remember the cold war. Think of it in the same way terrorism is spoken of today.

Democracy: government by the people; especially : rule of the majority

Republic: a government in which supreme power resides in a body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by elected officers and representatives responsible to them and governing according to law

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  10:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to return to the "public education" argument, since I have neglected some important points in my argument. One important point is that while we have free public education, a parent isn't required to send her or his child to that school. Indeed, private-- even religious-- education is also an option, as is homeschooling.

It's difficult to imagine a Sidwell Friends in 1950's Moscow, or that Marx would favor a Sacred Heart for his communist ideal.

Again, saying that the notion of "free public schools" is communist, and then trying to say that our public schools in the United States makes this country partially communist simply fails as it is but a superficial comparison.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  18:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune, most people have to use public schools as the economics of paying for two schools when only using one are difficult for most families.

Free public schools is a tenet of communism. Pretend as you might, but free public schooling is communist.

Do you really think there are not two tiers of schooling in communist states. Do you think Soviet leaders sent their children to the same schools as the factory workers?

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  18:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Jerome to give examples of propaganda in the USA, and he responded with:

America is a Democracy.
OK, clearly my request was misunderstood. I didn't want examples of just messages, I wanted examples of how this supposed propaganda is spread. Where is it coming from? Who spreads it? Who are the people/institutions that form this propaganda machine. During red China they actually had a real centralized propaganda machine that pumped out explicit posters, banners, and other media that was all intentionally and specifically made to promote Mao's communism. What is the propaganda machine in the USA?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  19:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I asked Jerome to give examples of propaganda in the USA, and he responded with:

America is a Democracy.
OK, clearly my request was misunderstood. I didn't want examples of just messages, I wanted examples of how this supposed propaganda is spread. Where is it coming from? Who spreads it? Who are the people/institutions that form this propaganda machine. During red China they actually had a real centralized propaganda machine that pumped out explicit posters, banners, and other media that was all intentionally and specifically made to promote Mao's communism. What is the propaganda machine in the USA?

Mainstream political speech---initiation

Mainstream media conglomerations---dissemination

Hollywood---emotion

This is not to say these group are in perfect adherence to the message. Only that this is the track that propaganda flows.

Do remember, politicians create the topics through their actions. Media needs politicians for information to resell that information. Hollywood sells what people are buying.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  21:48:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yuri Bezmenov former KGB agents explains how communism has been educated into the American public without their knowledge; and even with the facts presented of America as communistic it is denied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8MCSu_K-A

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2007 :  23:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yuri Bezmenov former KGB agents explains how communism has been educated into the American public without their knowledge; and even with the facts presented of America as communistic it is denied.
Actually, Jerome, Bezmenov was talking about you and your demoralized bretheren.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  05:17:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cune, most people have to use public schools as the economics of paying for two schools when only using one are difficult for most families.
Jerome, plenty of people go to private schools. And religious and other private schools often have fellowships and scholarships for those who might otherwise not be able to afford it.

Free public schools is a tenet of communism. Pretend as you might, but free public schooling is communist.
Don't you get all high and mighty when other people try to pull the "I'm right, period" argument on you? Why are you allowed to do that, here?

Do you really think there are not two tiers of schooling in communist states. Do you think Soviet leaders sent their children to the same schools as the factory workers?
How is this at all relevant?
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  05:53:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More research has demonstrated how utterly wrong you are in this assertion. Apparently, the idea that there should be free public education goes back to Jefferson and earlier. I hate lifting out-of-context quotes from the internet without having studied the matter further, but according to this site, Jefferson, in his autobiography, argued for
three distinct grades of education, reaching all classes. 1. Elementary schools for all children generally, rich and poor. 2. Colleges for a middle degree of instruction, calculated for the common purposes of life and such as should be desirable for all who were in easy circumstances. And 3d. an ultimate grade for teaching the sciences generally and in their highest degree... The expenses of [the elementary] schools should be borne by the inhabitants of the county, every one in proportion to his general tax-rate. This would throw on wealth the education of the poor.
Again, I wish I had the context of this, and perhaps I'll run down to the library in a bit to get his autobiography (from where this is said to have been taken) and get further confirmation.

However, we can still find other data which strongly suggests an early ideal for free education long before Marx and his Manifesto. For instance, the Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776, in Section 44, clearly states that
A school or schools shall be established in each county by the legislature, for the convenient instruction of youth, with such salaries to the masters paid by the public, as may enable them to instruct youth at low prices: And all useful learning shall be duly encouraged and promoted In one or more universities.
The Vermont Constitution of 1786 notes in Section XXXVIII:
Laws for the encouragement of virtue, and prevention of vice and immorality, ought to be constantly kept in force, and duly executed; and a competent number of schools ought to be maintained in each town for the convenient instruction of youth; and one or more grammar schools be incorporated, and properly supported in each county in this State.
There are other examples, but I think this will suffice. Since you often interpret things in the opposite way from what is meant, I'll spell this out for you even if the rest of the readers here get it. The Communist Manifesto was published in 1848. Your argument has always been that because the Manifesto calls for public education, that any government which also has public education must also be communist. However, as the above examples show, arguments for having free public education predate Marx by decades, if not more, and prominent Colonial figures such as Thomas Jefferson advocated such a thing. Moreover, early state constitutions such as the ones I note above call for the creation of public schools to be supported by the state.

I think it is clear that you've lost this argument. While public education was obviously a tenet of communism as listed in your first post, it was not something unique to communism, and has a long history before Marx ever formulated his ideas.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/16/2007 05:54:56
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  06:23:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It seems that lots of people think that educating the populace is a basic function of government, like health care or defense.

That the Founding Fathers and Marx had such a thing in common makes the U.S. "communistic" like breathing air makes humans reptilian.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.