Paris Hilton: In proper perspective
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  22:10:00  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hilton Paris.

Paris Hilton.

Paris' "Hilton."

Parisian cries.

Paris cries.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/10/2007 06:59:31

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  03:06:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I don't get it. Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why almost everybody is so down on Paris Hilton? I don't recall her ripping anyone off or pissing on the flag, or molesting little boys and/or girls, or gassing Jews. As far as I can tell, she's just another relativly harmless, bottle-blonde twit. She's a lot wealthier than most twits, true, but, at last reading, that's a goal to attain, not a sin.

What's up with all that, anyway.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/09/2007 03:07:54
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  04:59:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy wrote:
Ok, I don't get it. Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why almost everybody is so down on Paris Hilton?
Because she used her fortune to be on a television show that makes fun of decent working class people, because after she landed herself in jail (for only 45 days, mind you) for repeated DUI offenses, she then used her fortune to try to get out of serving her sentence like everyone else.

People with more power (and money does equal power) are expected to act more responsibly, not less.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 06/09/2007 05:00:48
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  05:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

filthy wrote:
Ok, I don't get it. Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why almost everybody is so down on Paris Hilton?
Because she used her fortune to be on a television show that makes fun of decent working class people, because after she landed herself in jail (for only 45 days, mind you) for repeated DUI offenses, she then used her fortune to try to get out of serving her sentence like everyone else.

People with more power (and money does equal power) are expected to act more responsibly, not less.
As I said; just another bottle-blond twit worthy of little notice. What I don't understand is the outright hatred aimed at her. I think that says more about some of her detractors than of her.

Of course the media aren't helping matters any.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2007 :  09:00:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she's really a mean and selfish little twit. (There, I restrained myself from sexist terms.) As Marf pointed out, she uses wealth for power, which she then fritters away on a life of spaced-out partying. And DUI is hardly a victimless crime. (It's right up there with horse rustlin' in my book, and damn near outta be a hangin' offense.) She's a remarkably bad example for young people. As an actress and as a singer, you get what she pays for. She just dabbles in those professions for her own entertainment.

That people hate her so much is her own damned fault for imposing her unethical talentlessness on a fascinated public. She got the notoriety she wanted, and now has to live with it.

She's slim, blonde, and young, none of which properties will last long for her. She uses those things and her vast family wealth to make herself a public spectacle. But most people are "laughing at her," not "laughing with her."

Were she a young woman of ordinary means, but with with her toddler-grade immaturity and tastes, she'd be a meth- or crack-whore by now, in jail more often than out of it. If Paris were a young male of ordinary means, he'd be peddling his boo-tay in public restrooms for dope money, when he wasn't in prison. There's really not much to like about Paris Hilton, Fil.

Of course, if she had been brought up by a middle- or working-class family, it is more likely than not that she would have been taught some basic lessons about personal responsibility. Instead, she has apparently been given everything she ever wanted in life.

Compare her to the thousands of young working-class women who have joined the Army so that they could afford to go to college. Some of them have paid with their lives for that decision. 45 days in a women's lock-up? Pooh! Big deal. I'm glad it made her cry. Maybe she's learning for the first time in her life that sometimes everything isn't the way we want it. But maybe not.

There are plenty of wealthy people who raise their kids right. I've known a handful of them, myself. But the Hiltons, like the Bushes, are not among them. Their offspring were raised more in the Roman patrician manner, apparently.

Poor little rich girl.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/09/2007 09:04:37
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  05:58:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, she's really a mean and selfish little twit. (There, I restrained myself from sexist terms.) As Marf pointed out, she uses wealth for power, which she then fritters away on a life of spaced-out partying. And DUI is hardly a victimless crime. (It's right up there with horse rustlin' in my book, and damn near outta be a hangin' offense.) She's a remarkably bad example for young people. As an actress and as a singer, you get what she pays for. She just dabbles in those professions for her own entertainment.

That people hate her so much is her own damned fault for imposing her unethical talentlessness on a fascinated public. She got the notoriety she wanted, and now has to live with it.

She's slim, blonde, and young, none of which properties will last long for her. She uses those things and her vast family wealth to make herself a public spectacle. But most people are "laughing at her," not "laughing with her."
Again, so what? I say, "If you don't like it, then don't look at it. Nobody's gonna twist your arm." It is a sad reflection on the American public in general that she's well known at all. Me, I've never caught her act. All I know of her is what little I've read, and it's not all that impressive; indeed, not impressive enough to warrent all the attention. After all, bleached airheads are common enough, rich and poor.

Were she a young woman of ordinary means, but with with her toddler-grade immaturity and tastes, she'd be a meth- or crack-whore by now, in jail more often than out of it. If Paris were a young male of ordinary means, he'd be peddling his boo-tay in public restrooms for dope money, when he wasn't in prison. There's really not much to like about Paris Hilton, Fil.
Now we're playing the "If" game, which has never had much to do with reality. I neither like nor dislike her, and can't for the life of me see why she should inspire such vehemence. Am I being asked to gloat over her going to jail? Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. Am I being asked to condemn her life style? She's not my kid nor is she associated with any of mine, so that ain't on either. Except the DUI and breaking probation, she's done nothing outside the law, that anyone knows of at least, and those infractions are being taken care of by the law. For the rest of it, she's merely guilty of poor taste & no class. Lots of folks fall into that catagory and life's too short to keep track of them (excepting Bush & Cheney. We need to keep track of Bush & Cheney, bigtime).

Me, I'll wish her luck and hope she drops from public view so's I'll quit hearing about her.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 06/10/2007 06:01:14
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  06:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner, you've got a PM...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  06:49:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Filthy on this. She's done some dumb things and society has to figure out how to deal with her. So what?

Straying away from the topic of Paris, we need to educate people as to how to deal with their whims, rather than spend so much money demonizing people who don't know how to deal with their whims.

When I was a kid, drunk driving was a sport. I'm not defending it, I'm saying we've come a long way since then and we all have our little things that we learned weren't such a good idea without spending a month and a half learning from con artists and prostitutes.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  08:50:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Ok, I don't get it. Would someone be kind enough to enlighten me as to why almost everybody is so down on Paris Hilton? I don't recall her ripping anyone off or pissing on the flag, or molesting little boys and/or girls, or gassing Jews. As far as I can tell, she's just another relativly harmless, bottle-blonde twit. She's a lot wealthier than most twits, true, but, at last reading, that's a goal to attain, not a sin.

What's up with all that, anyway.

I think the biggest issue, filthy, is that a lot of people expected her to buy her way out of jail.

People are frustrated by a percieved judicial disparity based on economic status. Many people feel vindicated that one of these "economic elites" actually has to go to jail for committing a crime. It has less to do with Paris Hilton and more to do with the public perception of our system today. Ms. Hilton is merely the figurehead for all that is wrong in that respect.
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2007 :  10:19:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for me I am pissed off that she and her ilk are on the news as much as they are. I want real news, I don't need to know who didn't wear panties to a party. I am taking some personal satifaction that she is in jail and the picture of her crying because she is finally relizes that she is going to have to pay for her actions. I do hope though she learns from this and becomes a better person for it, but I am not holding my breath.

Though I have to agree with Boron, she is a figurehead of the economic elites, and I think they where trying to do an end run around her sentence and got caught due to her fame. Reportedly her mother even said "after we paid all that money?" after the verdict was handed down.

Now I go to wash my hands, eyes, and mind of this matter.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  22:45:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Citing God, Paris Hilton now tells Barbara Walters that she's a reformed woman.
Hilton has been saying that she is changed by her jailhouse experience, and she repeated that theme with Walters: "Now, I would like to make a difference. ... God has given me this new chance."
Even if the word of Ms. Hilton were not itself suspect, I am instantly suspicious of any promise which leans upon a deity for support. (Would that be "Argumentum ad Deum"?)

No, Paris, that wasn't God. That was Judge Michael Sauer who gave you this chance to do some thinking.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  07:29:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, this, from CNN:
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Paris Hilton's parents visited their daughter after breezing past others waiting to see loved ones -- an incident that raised new complaints that the heiress is receiving special treatment.

Alvina Floyd, one visitor to the at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility, waited more than four hours to visit her fiance. It normally takes two hours, and Floyd, 20, blamed the Hiltons for the delay.

"I have to be at work later," she said. "I can't wait here all day."

Shatani Alverson, 23, said she was hustled out of the jail's visiting room moments after her husband walked in because of the Hiltons. She was told to come back after lunch.
The Sheriff's Department in LA seems determined to demonstrate yet again that all people are treated equally -- except that some, like the rich and powerful Hiltons, are treated more equally than others.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/13/2007 07:36:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.