Squid-size bus washes up on beach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  02:17:21  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PHUKET, Thailand, (BP) -- A bus as long as a squid and weighing 5,500 pounds washed up on a Thai beach, officials said Wednesday.

"It is not much of a bus," said Ahmed Tolong, an automotive engineer who studies internal combustion vehicles at the Bangkok Museum. Tolong said the bus was likely a specimen of the genus, Toyota.

Miniature buses travel on roads on the Asian continent, as well as offshore islands such as Singapore -- where a one-ton midget, believed to be the world's tiniest, was impounded in February. They attract human passengers who travel in, and sometimes on, them.

The defunct bus, measuring 6 feet across at its widest point and 18 feet from the tip of its front bumper to the end of its exhaust pipe, was found early Wednesday by a beachcomber at Patong Beach on Thailand's island province of Phuket, the museum said.

The bus was expected to be taken to the museum, where motor oil analysis and other scientific tests would be carried out before it is preserved and possibly put on public display.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/12/2007 08:29:04

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  05:42:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, amazing! The research opportunities into these rare creatures are now boundless.

Perhaps one day the Holy Grail of ichthyology, a Giant Hummer (Guzzlupi petroleum), will come ashore near Sacremento....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  07:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, HalfMooner! I just have one possible correction: Phuket is in Thailand, not Malaysia.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  08:25:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Awesome, HalfMooner! I just have one possible correction: Phuket is in Thailand, not Malaysia.
Oh, Phuket! I'll phixet!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Phuket! I'll phixet!

Not to detract from your entertaining (and it was) story, but in Thailand, the letter combination "ph" is pronounced "p" and not "f". Incidentally, when I was working on Phi-Phi Island (off the coast from Phuket), some tourists refused to pronounce the island's name "pee pee" for the simple reason that if the locals wanted it pronounced in such a manner, they should have spelled it properly. OK, it was one couple who did this, but anyway...

Incidentally (again) the letter combination "wh" in Maori language (fairly common in the names of towns in New Zealand) is pronounced "f" and I have also encountered New Zealanders refusing to pronounce this anything other than "w", much for the same reason as above. OK, it was one guy who gave me this reason, but anyway...

Phew...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:25:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

...Phew...

I worked in Bangkok for a while. What a place! (Nowhere near as pleasant as Phuket. Nice folks for the most part.)

Over in Sacramento we have a favorite Vietnamese restaurant that serves the aromatic delicious soup called "Pho" which the Vietnamese here pronounce as "Fha". The name of the place: "Pho King". Mmmmm

Just a little footnote. - Back to topic.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:45:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wrong location, I know, but I just couldn't help myself.

Everyone loves the Phat Phuc Noodle Bar!

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  19:04:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention the chinese restaurant in Wanaka, New Zealand with the less than appetizing name "Choi Poh".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.