Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2007 :  22:37:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I freely admitted plagiarism(in fact it was implied), the intellectually dishonest claim does not fit.

You freely admitted plagiarism after it was pointed out you plagiarized. To think that you are not dishonest because you eventually confessed is just insane.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  00:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I freely admitted plagiarism(in fact it was implied), the intellectually dishonest claim does not fit.

Hmm, I was ready, based on your original post, to look up an MSDS, lacking any other information. If you copied the intellectual property of another without properly giving credit to that individual, which was not done in the OP nor in any of your posts, then that is plagiarism.

from Dictionary.com:
1. the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.
2. something used and represented in this manner.

You originally presented this information as though it were your original material, not material belonging to another.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  06:53:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uggh, this is a joke, if the source was given off the bat the joke would not follow. I hope you guys do not take real life this seriously.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  07:03:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Uggh, this is a joke, if the source was given off the bat the joke would not follow. I hope you guys do not take real life this seriously.
Others have found ways to make such jokes without fraud, and have made them funnier than you, Jerome. Had the joke actually been funny, perhaps the reception you got would have been different.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  09:19:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

We are not without a sense of humor, Jerome, as you must know since you have been to many chat sessions. That isn't the point.

Jerome, next time put the joke in your own words or link to the site you have copied it from. It's as simple as that.

There is the issue of plagiarism and also one of copyright infringement.
I doubt you're intention was to be dishonest, but ignorance of such things doesn't get you, or us if it's a copy infringement, off the hook.

Just a bit of effort on your part could have removed plagiarism from the post. For example, you might have written something very clever and on your own about the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Taking other peoples words and restating them verbatim without source with the intention of having those words be taken as your own is plagiarism. Rules are rules Jerome. And there is a very good reason for that rule, no matter how trivial the subject matter may be.

So just say you're sorry, you did not know, and will not do it again…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  09:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  09:43:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, copyright is an issue. The article you copied ends with this:

Copyright © by Tom Way

And, by not citing, that puts SFN in harms way.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  09:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand, my intention was to direct towards the site once the joke was established. Sorry, I do understand completely. It will not happen again.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:03:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although: § 107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

I believe this denotes SFN as having no jeopardy.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  10:42:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fair use is for a judge to decide, not you or us. And because you weren't educating with that list, or criticizing the piece, or making a parody of it, we wouldn't even try to claim fair use. You didn't behave within the limits of the exemption. You're just showing off your ignorance again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:31:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair use still requires citation Jerome.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  11:38:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Christ on a bike Jerome, you couldn't go down without an argument, no matter how lame.

Let me try to put this to you another way if you're going to argue about it.

Next time you use copyright material without citation, you will earn a warning and an instant deletion of your post. And It will be considered a second warning that could lead to a ban, because you have been told…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  12:47:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to state openly that my citing of the fair use law was only to relieve the forum of concern. It was not an attempt at argument in favor of a position.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  13:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I would like to state openly that my citing of the fair use law was only to relieve the forum of concern. It was not an attempt at argument in favor of a position.

I'm fairly convinced that the staff's collective knowledge concerning copyright and fair use greatly exceeds your knowledge. Patronizing us only serves to make us less lenient against you, and does not improve your position.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2007 :  13:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I'm fairly convinced that the staff's collective knowledge concerning copyright and fair use greatly exceeds your knowledge. Patronizing us only serves to make us less lenient against you, and does not improve your position.

Not only that, but citing fair use when it doesn't even apply is, well, pointless.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.