Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  22:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was made to take a tablespoon of castor oil as a kid by my grandmother - one I chose not to continue. Ick.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  23:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eat lots of honey. I don't know why. I always have this strange humming in my ears?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  13:45:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think honey counts as Alternative Medicine, unless you rub it on your left big toe to cure your pancrea-cancer.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  16:13:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was living in the UK (about two years ago) I used to apply manuca honey in my psoriatic skin. It was given to me gratis by a client of mine who is the distributor in the UK for that stuff.

Of course it didnīt cure my psoriasis, however it did made the itching and the flakes go away and left a nice smell on my skin. Also I used to apply it in my hair because it worked really well as a conditioner, leaving my hair smooth and not at all sticky.

Unfortunately, when I moved to Argentina, I could not get hold of this honey anymore.

The brand that does the packaging is called Hopeīs Relief and they import it from from New Zealand (and I think from Australia as well).

This client of mine assured me it would cure psoriasis. I, having had psoriasis for 30 years now, never believed that rubbish, but since it was not a dangerous product (basically honey with licorice root) gave it a try and the results were as described above. Not bad, although a month after I stopped using it, all the psoriasis came back (as I knew it would).

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the last time I used an alternative medicine (if it can be called so).

Cheers.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Cmon Sense

1 Post

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  12:37:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cmon Sense a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best all around preventative 'alternative medicine' in my opinion is "COLLOIDAL SILVER". It is the tiniest possible pieces of the precious metal silver, with a positive electrical charge, suspended in pure water. That's it.

Viruses, bacteria, and germs have a negative electrical charge and are attracted to it like a magnet. Once the silver and say, a virus, are in extended contact, the virus dies and eliminated in the urine. No side effects.

It can be taken every day to prevent disease or when it is clear there is an infection or the like. It is so small that it travels right through the cell walls in your body and so never builds up and is non-toxic.

This is all there was to treat infections before antibiotics were invented. When antibiotics were invented it was promoted as the hands-down infection treatment and almost every doctor stopped recommending silver treatment and it was almost forgotten. Now that immunity to antibiotics has become a real present-day threat associated with mutated viruses, Colloidal Silver's importance is coming back into focus. There is never a point where viruses can survive colloidal silver, as can happen with antibiotics.

In a time where germ warfare is a possiblity, everyone should have this on hand IMO. However even if you only want to stop getting colds (really!), you need to learn about the power of the colloidal form of this element. How many other 'alternative medicines' are found on the periodic table?

There is much more to be learned, as this blip is barely a scratch on the surface of what there is to know about this. I know from personal experience that it works. It is for sale in health food stores but it is expensive that way. I recommend making it yourself, it is easy to do and costs very little. If this saves you just one trip to the doctor, isn't it worth it?

Tell your Congressman to support the "Health Freedom Protection Act" to give consumers access to truthful, non-misleading health information and to stop FDA & FTC censorship. (HR 2117)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  14:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cmon Sense

No side effects.
Tell that to Rosemary Jacobs.
This is all there was to treat infections before antibiotics were invented. When antibiotics were invented it was promoted as the hands-down infection treatment and almost every doctor stopped recommending silver treatment and it was almost forgotten. Now that immunity to antibiotics has become a real present-day threat associated with mutated viruses, Colloidal Silver's importance is coming back into focus. There is never a point where viruses can survive colloidal silver, as can happen with antibiotics.
Viruses aren't affected at all by antibiotics, which are for bacterial infections. Colloidal silver was, at best, used as a topical antiseptic, and used to prevent infections in burn victims. It was exclipsed by sulfa drugs because they worked to keep internal infections in check, something colloidal silver has never been shown to do.
How many other 'alternative medicines' are found on the periodic table?
Zinc. Copper. Oxygen. Radon. Uranium. Gold. Probably many more.
There is much more to be learned, as this blip is barely a scratch on the surface of what there is to know about this. I know from personal experience that it works.
Have you truly evaluated your personal experience?
If this saves you just one trip to the doctor, isn't it worth it?
No, false hopes, misplaced confidence, turning back the clock and ignorance aren't worth it, no.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  02:43:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cmon Sense
It is so small that it travels right through the cell walls in your body and so never builds up and is non-toxic.
A microscopic sphere of silver would probabaly not pass through the cell wall especially if it is electrically charged.
Your claim is positive, and so you should be able to produce some evidence that this actually do happen. Cellular respiration is a very complicated process.

Silver doesn't become charged by nature just like that.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  20:29:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am being treated with silver by a podiatrist. Nothing colloidal or internal going on, though.

I recently had surgery for an ingrown toenail, and the silver is a coating on small fabric stips that are applied, wettened, before bandaging the wound. As I understand, such a topical application of silver works more like an antibiotic than an antiseptic, but I may understand wrong. Thus far, no infection, at the very least proving that the silver was not itself harboring infectious bacteria. Oh, and the podiatrist mentioned that the germs don't seem to develop a resistance to silver.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  06:44:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have used vinegar on athletes foot. Seems to work pretty good. I assume it is just the acid killing the fungus, but I suppose that is an alternative medicine.

Oh yea, and I use magnets to align my blood cells so that I will never die.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

inafoxhole88

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  11:51:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send inafoxhole88 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before I moved up here to no-womyn's-land, I worked as an herbal apprentice at a "natural healing" center in Royal Oak, MI. They did colonics, iridology, reflexology, myomassagology and any other body invasion they could attach to an 'ology. They even offered Hyperbaric Oxygen !!!! mwahawwwww hawww (excuse me.) In a BAG !!!! aaahawhawhawwwwwwww It was so pathetic to see them get such big bucks for such quackery. (Apologies to the AAFLAC duck.)
The "therapists" used to stand in corners and laugh about particular patients, if one would start talking about her/his troubles, they'd joke about writing a book. One guy moved from mechanic to iridologist, actually told a woman, "If I can figure out what's wrong with a car, I can figure out what's wrong with you." I heard it.

I kept on at it because I thought there was actually something to the herbal approach- and there might be, I guess, just not with the gallons and gallons of vodka in which we would steep the dried herbs. We turned those poor "clients" into addicted lushes.

In my humble opine, then, if you have a belly ache, go get some Ex-Lax, and leave the colonics for somebody else.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:16:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SFN inafoxhole88. Great post! Hope you stick around a while...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:51:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

I have used vinegar on athletes foot. Seems to work pretty good. I assume it is just the acid killing the fungus, but I suppose that is an alternative medicine.

Oh yea, and I use magnets to align my blood cells so that I will never die.

Nothing beats straight Clorox for 'most any fungus. It ain't much fun, but it has never failed me, including for a nasty, little colony of hitchikers that came back with me from SE Asia.

D'ya remember when Florshime was peddling shoes with magnets in them? They were supposed to do marvalous things for everything from posture to foot pain, to, hell, I dunno, probably enhancing your love life. They attracted the ire of Randi as well as most of the skeptical community, and were soon off the market.

Welcome inafoxhole88 and Cmon Sense!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  13:08:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
D'ya remember when Florshime was peddling shoes with magnets in them? They were supposed to do marvalous things for everything from posture to foot pain, to, hell, I dunno, probably enhancing your love life. They attracted the ire of Randi as well as most of the skeptical community, and were soon off the market.

Welcome inafoxhole88 and Cmon Sense!

Here is a Letter To Florsheim By Jimmy Reynolds from our Skeptillaneous article area…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  17:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an article at CNN about the growing use of silver as part of wound dressings. (Not colloidal silver to be swallowed.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  18:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took some echinacea a few years ago while the jury was still out on its efficacy. My cold cleared up immediately, but was it the medicine or had it simply run its natural course?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.