Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  23:45:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Fossils only tell us about the animal that died, not its progeny.

What evolution has been observed today?

Which plausible alternatives have been excluded?

When has the changing of a species into another species been repeated?

Please see:

The Nylon Bug

My favorite example of a mutation producing new information involves a Japanese bacterium that suffered a frame shift mutation that just happened to allow it to metabolize nylon waste. The new enzymes are very inefficient (having only 2% of the efficiency of the regular enzymes), but do afford the bacteria a whole new ecological niche. They don't work at all on the bacterium's original food - carbohydrates. And this type of mutation has even happened more than once!

The Nylon Bug here too:

Creationists and Intelligent Designists often claim that mutations are destructive, and that they can not produce new genes or novel functions. But an extensively documented case, that of new bacteria which have evolved the ability to metabolize nylon waste, disproves that assertion(7). Nylon didn't exist before 1937, and neither did these new organisms. In one case(8) the new metabolic ability was found to be due to the microevolutionary addition of a single nucleotide, causing the new bacterium's enzyme to be composed of a completely new sequence of amino acids via a radical mutation mechanism called "frame shifting." The new enzyme is very inefficient, as would be expected for a novel protein that has not been "polished" by natural selection. Other studies(9) have confirmed the stunning evolution of similar novel adaptations in the laboratory. Creationists dismiss these nylon-chewing bugs as "still just bacteria," but that misses the whole point. These are documented examples of the appearance of novel adaptations, something that creationists claim only God can produce.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  00:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What evolution has been observed today?

As kil said, the nylon bug. It is a great example because it shows the evolution of a completely new, novel metabolic pathway.

There are really dozens of examples.

Ployploidy in plants is another good example. We have observed speciation of plants in the last 200 years, via chromosome duplication. Some European plants that came over to the US are now seperate species because of this.

You don't see this in the animal kingdom very often, because of those pesky sex chromosomes, and the fact that polyploidy tends to result in severe phenotypic abnormalities in animals (especially if it is polyploidy of just one chromosome).

Read this link Jerome:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html

And this one:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2007 :  05:51:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

The story goes...

The movie was mediocre, the book was tolerable but not great.

To me, the book was a bit of a page turner, but not because it was so gripping in and of itself.

The impression I was left with was that the story was written with chapter breaks in sensible locations, and upon completion, they were all shifted to be about 90 degrees out of phase, or whatever the literary equivalent is.

I haven't seen the movie.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

rain

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  15:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit rain's Homepage Send rain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, did you have a problem with religious scientists revolutionizing and helping to create modern science and not silly atheists blabbling about magical puddles from billions of years ago giving rise to walking fish with toes no one ever saw?

"...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact period let alone with the words 'Made by evolution.'" - Incredibly Retarded Quotes Refuted

"I'm skeptical of skeptics because they think being doubtful is some magical evidence rather than contentious bias." - me
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  16:26:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by rain

I'm sorry, did you have a problem with religious scientists revolutionizing and helping to create modern science and not silly atheists blabbling about magical puddles from billions of years ago giving rise to walking fish with toes no one ever saw?

Hacking those strawmen sure is easy, isn't it?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  23:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by rain

Exactly which "religious scientists" would those be, now?

If you are speaking of biological scientists of religious persuasion, almost all of those support evolution and accept the overwhelming weight of evidence in its favor. If you are speaking of the tiny number (perhaps fewer than the fingers on one hand) of biologists who support Creationism, knowing just who they are is pretty important, as well as knowing their actual training and what scientific papers they've published about evolution. As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been anything peer reviewed and published ever in the world by a biologist who claims to refute evolution.

If you know differently, rain, name some names, or stop making the claims.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.