New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  21:13:38  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The US federal Government established as policy to educate from elementary school in 1975 that a two child household was the best, so as to help control population.

"Only nominal attention is [currently] given to population education or sex education in schools..." [Page 158] "Recommendation: That US agencies stress the importance of education of the next generation of parents, starting in elementary schools, toward a two-child family ideal. That AID stimulate specific efforts to develop means of educating children of elementary school age to the ideal of the two-child family..."

http://www.population-security.org/11-CH3.html#summary

This is called forced propaganda.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  22:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome:
This is called forced propaganda.

You're right! They should have just made it a law….

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  22:16:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this were the case, why haven't teachers been let in on the secret?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2007 :  22:36:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1977 I took my first "sex ed" class in a public elementary school.

Apparently, the propaganda didn't work, as I am in favor of negative population growth, and so only have the one child.

My wife, who went through elementary school four years behind me, obviously failed to succumb to the propaganda as well, because when I met her, she wanted to have seven daughters.

Seriously now, what's the point of this thread?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  02:05:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I looked at the cited report, and here's the deal: Jerome is quote-mining, cherry-picking, and twisting the truth to the point of lies, once again. No surprise there.

The report cited is not a law, not a Federal code, not a regulation, not an executive order, not even a Federal policy. It is a series of old 1974 Nixon-era suggestions for further consideration, intended for helping control world population growth. It wasn't even meant to be applied domestically, and may never have had much impact on actual foreign policy. Unfortunately.

But Jerome, in his paranoid mendacity, presented this report as though it were some kind of present-day, secret Federal plan to propagandize in American schools. That's a new nadir even for Jerome.

Let's see
If he ever
Admits that his
Research is flawed.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/23/2007 02:08:53
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  02:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is a troll, plain and simple.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  08:58:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Okay, I looked at the cited report, and here's the deal: Jerome is quote-mining, cherry-picking, and twisting the truth to the point of lies, once again. No surprise there.

The report cited is not a law, not a Federal code, not a regulation, not an executive order, not even a Federal policy. It is a series of old 1974 Nixon-era suggestions for further consideration, intended for helping control world population growth. It wasn't even meant to be applied domestically, and may never have had much impact on actual foreign policy. Unfortunately.

But Jerome, in his paranoid mendacity, presented this report as though it were some kind of present-day, secret Federal plan to propagandize in American schools. That's a new nadir even for Jerome.

Let's see
If he ever
Admits that his
Research is flawed.

Wrong :"It was adopted as official U.S. policy by President Gerald Ford in November of 1975. It was originally classified, but was later declassified and obtained by researchers in the early 1990s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSSM_200

What generation of students starting in elementary school that US agencies educating do you think are being referred to?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  09:37:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what? I haven't the energy to bother with this crap. Follow the link and tear him a new one.

By the way, Jerome, I think that zero population growth is a worthy pursuit.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  10:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what? I haven't the energy to bother with this crap. Follow the link and tear him a new one.

What's the point he just a troll and an ignorant one to boot.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  12:28:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides Wikipedia and a bunch of conspiracy sites, is there any official reference to this old document being an active part of US foreign policy?

ETA: 'cause when Lyndon LaRouche starts referring to it, it's almost CERTAINLY whacko.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/23/2007 12:34:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  12:34:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Let's see
If he ever
Admits that his
Research is flawed.

Wrong :"It was adopted as official U.S. policy by President Gerald Ford in November of 1975. It was originally classified, but was later declassified and obtained by researchers in the early 1990s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSSM_200

What generation of students starting in elementary school that US agencies educating do you think are being referred to?

Okay, upon seeing evidence, I concede that the memo did become official foreign policy of the Ford Administration. I stand corrected. Thank you for the link. Do you have any evidence of actual programs that sprang from this policy? (If there were any, they must not have worked too well, unfortunately.)

Now, will you now concede the utter falsehood of your main alarmist point? Will you admit that the very subject of the OP, "American Education used by National Gov," was dishonest or wildly incorrect, and that the policy paper in question was former US foreign policy and that the US Federal government never has and is not now forcing US public schools to teach kids that only two kids in a family is ideal?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/23/2007 13:12:57
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  13:24:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halfmooner said "Will you admit that the very subject of the OP, "American Education used by National Gov," was dishonest or wildly incorrect, and that the policy paper in question was former US foreign policy and that the US Federal government never has and is not now forcing US public schools to teach kids that only two kids in a family is ideal?"

Do you have any evidence that this policy is no longer being implemented?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  13:29:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

By the way, Jerome, I think that zero population growth is a worthy pursuit.

Many policy makers agree with your stand on population growth.

I was only showing a single instance of government using public schools to propagandize.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  14:37:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You have yet to show any instance of this policy ever actually being used.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  14:59:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4847a1.htm

"Since 1972, the average family size has leveled off at approximately two children"

A stated goal, a goal achieved.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2007 :  15:09:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by Ricky

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4847a1.htm

"Since 1972, the average family size has leveled off at approximately two children"

A stated goal, a goal achieved.

This happens in every country once they become developed. We see it in countries like UK, France, and Canada. Germany, Japan, and Italy in fact have less than 2.1 kids per family, which is the replacement level.

There are various theories for why this happens. Most has to do with the availability of birth control and the education level of women. The cost of raising a child, the lower child mortality rate, and the fact that there is no need for children to help share work in developed countries also contribute. That it happened in the US, the richest country overall and one of the richest per capita, should be of no surprise.

Again, I ask for an instance where this policy was used.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/23/2007 15:11:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.