New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marty
BANNED

63 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2007 :  20:21:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marty, from Marty McFly of Back to the Future. Always been a big fan of the series and I first took the name on a chat board in the early 90's.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2007 :  16:46:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

The reason why I decided to revive this thread is that I wanted to make an update the description on my own name, with a sound snippet from the song I referred to.

My original post.

The sound snippet so you can hear how Mabuse is pronounced. It's a short mp3, about 230KB.
Somehow, I missed out on your first post, but I know it wouldn't have rung any bells anyway. But when I finally listened to the sound snippet, I said, "I know that music!" So I had to go back and look at your original anyway.

And wouldn't you know it, the song I've been listening to on a mixed-music tape since the mid-80s doesn't say "selling your soul," but instead "sell him your soul." Heck, I didn't even know the title, having recorded the tune from a college radio station notorious for their lackluster DJs.

So last night, still generally liking the sort of synthpop that Propaganda did, I went cruising around YouTube. And I found the original video for "Dr. Mabuse," along with a second version, and this allegedly live version (whisper at 1:31).

And I thought the group was pretty-much a one-hit wonder, but then I discovered "P-Machinery" and "Duel," and came to the realization that I can't stand Claudia Brücken's voice. Her rendition of "Because the Night" is like torture.

The group apparently reformed after 1990, without Claudia, but songs like "Heaven Give Me Words" are bland and uninteresting.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  12:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Gorgo, I just stumbled across this Wikipedia entry while looking for something completely unrelated.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2007 :  13:35:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing is known of Gorgo's life after 480 BC

It's time you knew. But, you've always treated me like a queen.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

recurve boy
Skeptic Friend

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  07:42:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send recurve boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I was arguing with colleagues about how they're world view is flawed and reckon I should stop lurking and get some arguing practise.

I used to be a competitive archer. I shot a recurve bow and I'm a dude!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  07:59:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN, recurve boy!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  10:19:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo wrote:
It's time you knew. But, you've always treated me like a queen.
I actually had plans a few years ago to name my next female kitten Gorgo. My cousin has a girl cat named Gunther, and I wanted something equally butchy. Also, my last girl cat was named Minuet, quite feminine, so I wanted something totally different from that. But by the time I got her, I more associated the name Gorgo with you rather than the tough Spartan mama. So your presence on this forum is partially why I named my kitten Kubaba - after a Sumerian queen - instead.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:16:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Well, mine is a character of my creation's name. She was largely (but not quite) based on myself, so. And yes, her name was indeed Siberia. She has several incarnations in several roleplaying games, from werewolves to horses to were(snow)leopards, to otters. Yes, otters. And she once was a sea serpent, too... but her favorite incarnation is either horse, human or werewolf.

You are a strange, strange, woman, Siberia.

<ducks to avoid the that she's about to start throwing at me>

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[i]....I wanted something equally butchy.

Well, that's how people often describe me.

So your presence on this forum is partially why I named my kitten Kubaba.....

I'm touched that you have never named anything after me. If I ever get a cat, I promise not to name it Marfknox. Or Kubaba. Maybe Dave?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:21:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I've never named anything after you, either, Gorgo.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  11:28:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah then you can do your best Hal 9000 voice with the cat...

"Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you. "

"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it."

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  16:36:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first ever post to a web forum was an attempt to 'rat out' my employer of the time for dangerous and possibly illegal practices, and so The Rat was born. I won't go any further because the work I was doing was of a, uh, 'sensitive' nature.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  16:55:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

My first ever post to a web forum was an attempt to 'rat out' my employer of the time for dangerous and possibly illegal practices, and so The Rat was born. I won't go any further because the work I was doing was of a, uh, 'sensitive' nature.
Worked for Charmin, eh?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  11:57:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bumping this thread before it gets archived...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  13:56:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No surprised from me. My handle simply is my first name, simplicity for once.

And, to Siberia, there is a few sites were I also use the handle 'Olween' which is a common name for many of my role-playing characters...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.