Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  20:46:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, you sound like you're talking to a guy who is saying that conspiracies don't exist.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  20:53:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Funny, you sound like you're talking to a guy who is saying that conspiracies don't exist.

Name some current conspiracies.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  21:28:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I can't. Not because I don't think there are, but for me to claim a conspiracy, I need something which you are constantly void of: evidence.

But the question I think you are asking is, "Name some current things which you think are conspiracies." I could probably pick 5 things off the top of my head about the current Bush administration. But that's far too easy. So here is a more discreet one:

Turkey is being kept out of the EU partly because they are a Muslim country.

But like I said before, I don't have evidence for such a conspiracy other than what's in the history books, so I will never claim it to be one. Cause if I did have actual evidence, I could write a book on it and it'd be worth millions. Probably like you could do on any one of these topics if you had any actual evidence. You don't, so you won't.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/26/2007 21:29:54
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  04:32:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heard an interesting quote this morning by Craig Crawford, "The more invisible your power is the harder it is to determine its limits." May not be exact, but it is close enough to understand his intent. The book mentioned previously, Vice, talks alot about the invisible power of Dick Chenney. It also talks about how the vice president has a larger and more influential staff than the president. That he in effect has set the agenda for this white house.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turkey is being kept from the European Union because of their structure, and that they are not a stable country. They are not a muslim country at this time, but that could change...... But then you have the armed forces that do not really answer to anyone, and would likely depose anyone who treid to turn it into a "muslim" country.

It's really quiet an interesting thing they have goin on......

Peace
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:11:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Current conspiracies:

They want us to think social security is going to be there.
They want us to think that they are looking out for the intrests of the common folk.
They want us to think that instead of using limited rules (esp. tort reform), that when they enact "National Health Care" that things will be better.
They want us to think tht one of the first things that will not go when there is National Health Care, will be tort refrorm.

Peace
Joe
Edited by - Original_Intent on 06/27/2007 06:11:55
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  06:16:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME
I would be what one would call inconsequential. Plus I really do not care one way or the other(the current system is probably the best so far). I just enjoy pointing out facts to the true believers.
And by "facts" you mean "wild conspiracy theories grounded largely in extreme cynicism and the spurious relationship logical fallacy." So yes, you do point out THOSE facts.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 06/27/2007 07:23:08
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  07:48:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, man. You have to check out the White House Press Secretery tie herself in knots trying to explain Cheney's duplicity. It would be funny if the car wreck on display wasn't my country's constitution.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  08:00:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But isn't part of the conspiracy that it's secret? Else, it's not much of a conspiracy, is it? So they only way to name current conspiracies is to a) expose one in which you are currently participating, or b) offer spurious relationships as proof of conspiracies to which you are not actually privy.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  09:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Nothing will come of this. The same way nothing happened when the Clinton White house had FBI files in their possession in violation of law.
And just because you've thrown this around a few times, i thought I'd correct you. Not like it will change your mind-- I foresee much goal post-moving and hand waving, but at least everyone else will know that this is a canard.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  12:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Turkey is being kept from the European Union because of their structure, and that they are not a stable country. They are not a muslim country at this time, but that could change...... But then you have the armed forces that do not really answer to anyone, and would likely depose anyone who treid to turn it into a "muslim" country.

It's really quiet an interesting thing they have goin on......

Peace
Joe

I don't want to start a side discussion on EU and Turkey politics, but while the government is extremely secular in Turkey, the people (94% of them) are Muslim. Turkey has been asking for acceptance into the EU for about 50 years now, while many other poorer countries that are more recent and less stable are being considered or have already been let in, Turkey has not. And to say that Turkey isn't stable is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, there have been military coups, but this is because Turkey uses its military as a check on the government. Each time the military has a coup, the power is handed right back to the people. An odd form of democracy, yes, but I wouldn't say unstable.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 06/27/2007 12:36:31
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  14:49:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Congratulation on your 1000th post.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:13:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Nothing will come of this. The same way nothing happened when the Clinton White house had FBI files in their possession in violation of law.
And just because you've thrown this around a few times, i thought I'd correct you. Not like it will change your mind-- I foresee much goal post-moving and hand waving, but at least everyone else will know that this is a canard.

Thanks for the post. Like I said nothing will come of this in the same way nothing came of that. The precedent will be set as before.

It is funny to watch the two sides defend illegality whist condemning the other side for similar infractions.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

But isn't part of the conspiracy that it's secret? Else, it's not much of a conspiracy, is it? So they only way to name current conspiracies is to a) expose one in which you are currently participating, or b) offer spurious relationships as proof of conspiracies to which you are not actually privy.

Open conspiracy?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:18:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Congratulation on your 1000th post.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.