New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2007 :  17:20:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marty

Here's my concern...This is completely off topic. First, a conspiracy can be open (known) or closed (secret), but they must include a few people getting together to accomplish a goal. That goal usually, but doesn't have to be sinister.

Next, I believe the conspiracy that was originally discussed was that of the Vice-Presidency and whether Cheney's declaration of being separate from the Executive is in fact a power-grab that will set a precedent for future administrations. It could, in effect, if unchallenged or endorsed by the Supreme Court, become a position more powerful than the President solely due to it's lack of checks or balances.

...and now for my opinion...

...Yes, I do believe that it was an intentional power grab that can very easily lead to a undermining of the limits set forth in the Constitution.

A crushing blow to the attempt to obscure the point!

Yeaaa, Marty

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  05:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just cause I'm bored at the moment I thought I would adress this.

Jerome said:
The fact that you think I showed that a conspiracy could be a high school chess team means that you did not read or did not understand what I wrote.

Hmm, here is what you wrote:
Websters:

conspiracy: the act of conspiring together

conspire: to act in harmony toward a common end

No, a conspiracy does not have to be secret.

A highschool chess team exists to play against other highschools by working in harmony for the common end of winning the competition. What part of what you wrote did I not understand?

Granted what you wrote was stupid, but I think that was my point. How did I misapply your definition?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:08:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Just cause I'm bored at the moment I thought I would adress this.

Jerome said:
The fact that you think I showed that a conspiracy could be a high school chess team means that you did not read or did not understand what I wrote.

Hmm, here is what you wrote:
Websters:

conspiracy: the act of conspiring together

conspire: to act in harmony toward a common end

No, a conspiracy does not have to be secret.

A highschool chess team exists to play against other highschools by working in harmony for the common end of winning the competition. What part of what you wrote did I not understand?

Granted what you wrote was stupid, but I think that was my point. How did I misapply your definition?

You are taking the relating definition out of context.

The question was could a conspiracy be opened.

If one reads the conversation one would have read, in context of the conversation:
I said it does not have to be secret. I did not say all conspiracies are open.

I am referring to the fact that you are not understanding the context of the conversation. A conspiracy does not have to be secret. I do not understand why this is a contentious point.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  11:05:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am referring to the fact that you are not understanding the context of the conversation. A conspiracy does not have to be secret. I do not understand why this is a contentious point.

You have berated people for not understanding words so I am just trying to understand your definition.

A highschool chess team does fit the definition of a conspiracy you supplied. I understood the context, highschool chess teams are not secret. Are you saying that the definition you supplied is not actually the definition you were just trying to prove a point?

Funny thing is that if you want to talk about context then the context of the Conspiracy Theories Folder is that they are clearly about secret conspiracies. It is almost like you have some sort of double standard - or that you are a troll. Imagine!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:50:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

You have berated people for not understanding words so I am just trying to understand your definition.

A highschool chess team does fit the definition of a conspiracy you supplied. I understood the context, highschool chess teams are not secret. Are you saying that the definition you supplied is not actually the definition you were just trying to prove a point?

Funny thing is that if you want to talk about context then the context of the Conspiracy Theories Folder is that they are clearly about secret conspiracies. It is almost like you have some sort of double standard - or that you are a troll. Imagine!

The question is: Can a conspiracy not be secret?

Also: Have there been known conspiracies in human history?

I contend that the answers are yes. Do you say say otherwise?

These questions were the topic in discussion.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  19:37:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME
No, the topic under discussion was conspiracy theories, which by definition only concern secret conspiracies.

Your questions about non-secret conspiracies were just an irrelevant diversion from that topic.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  21:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME
No, the topic under discussion was conspiracy theories, which by definition only concern secret conspiracies.

Your questions about non-secret conspiracies were just an irrelevant diversion from that topic.

I started the topic. I know what I was talking about. Do you suppose you know my mind?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.