Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  13:12:31  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Germany has banned Tom Cruise from shooting scenes at military sites for his film about a plot to kill Adolf Hitler because the Hollywood actor is a member of the Church of Scientology.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 06/27/2007 13:13:40

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  13:41:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a good move by Germany, who otherwise is a shining example on how to treat $cientology.

The movie and the movie-maker isn't to my knowledge associated with Scientology, and shouldn't be punished by association to Cruise. A more reasonable decision would have been to only ban Cruise and other Scientology-members of the film-crew from the military sites.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/27/2007 13:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  14:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Not a good move by Germany, who otherwise is a shining example on how to treat $cientology.

The movie and the movie-maker isn't to my knowledge associated with Scientology, and shouldn't be punished by association to Cruise. A more reasonable decision would have been to only ban Cruise and other Scientology-members of the film-crew from the military sites.
Why does being a member of Scientology have anything to do with access to military installations? Mr. Cruise is trying to film a movie. Is it right to ban him because of his religion?
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  14:22:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10
Why does being a member of Scientology have anything to do with access to military installations? Mr. Cruise is trying to film a movie. Is it right to ban him because of his religion?
Germany views Scientology as a fanatical cult, thus allowing members access to a military installation is considered a bad idea.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  17:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think Germany acknowledges Scientology as a religion, so it wouldn't be religious discrimination.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  18:01:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what kind of discrimination is it? Woo woo discrimination?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  18:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isn't it wonderful that at least one country has he cajones to stand up and ban a cult? About time, I say. After all, isn't Scientology merely based upon a collection of weird fiction? And the worst and most damning thing is, it's modern fiction, without a legitimate Bronze Age heritage.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 06/27/2007 18:44:38
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  05:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scientology.......

If I was inde[endently wealthy, the second thing I would due (after becoming a constitutional lawyer and really messing with the feds is....

Write a good, interesting book on Sciencetology mythology, from the "creation". Could even the federal govenrment grant copyright protection to a religion for what they state as fact? They can't very well admit it all to be fiction, can they? I wonder if anyone has challenged this....
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  05:58:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying, off and on, to pick a fight with Scientologists on these and other fora for years. They seem content to remain in craven hiding, and I've all but given up on it. Bunch'a sniveling, incoherent little pukes who have to wear shinguards to keep the pismire ants away from their candy asses.

Didn't, some years back, they go to court to overturn Germany's very sensible ban on them? And got righteously bitch-slapped for their trouble?

I think that keeping them away from military bases is wise. They are nothing but a pack of legitimized grifters, and thieves are not to be trusted around anything of value.

On the other hand, I think that some sort of compromise can and should be made with the company. Don't know what that might be, though -- blindfold them and staple their hands to their thighs, maybe?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  07:37:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Swedish guy published a few pages of the Scientology "Bible" on the Internet a while back. Scientology responded with a law suit. The guy responded with submitting the entire Scientology "Bible" into evidence. The result being that the book became open for public view.

Edited to add:
Aparently the Swedish Government decided to grant the Scientology-book copyrights. It seems that the current prime minister appears to be one of the responsible politicians behind that move. Cowards.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 06/28/2007 07:57:08
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:05:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

A Swedish guy published a few pages of the Scientology "Bible" on the Internet a while back. Scientology responded with a law suit. The guy responded with submitting the entire Scientology "Bible" into evidence. The result being that the book became open for public view.
Aside from their Dianetics drivel, I didn't know they had such a thing. Where might one go to find it? I tried a google and got more of the same sorts of tripe. Is that their, heh, "bible?"

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:07:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what? Much as I hate scientology, and I certainly think it is a cult, and everything bad that happens to them makes me happy, this one thing is over the line in my opinion. What's Cruise, jerk that his is, gonna do? Steal top secret information and pass it on to the higher ups so scientology can better wage war against Germany? My guess is that a movie company will not be anywhere near any place where they could obtain sensitive information with or without Cruise there.

They're just making a freaking movie!

I am happy that Germany has officially put Scientology on its shit list. But this all seems kind of petty to me.

I guess I am the dissenting vote here…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:16:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

You know what? Much as I hate scientology, and I certainly think it is a cult, and everything bad that happens to them makes me happy, this one thing is over the line in my opinion. What's Cruise, jerk that his is, gonna do? Steal top secret information and pass it on to the higher ups so scientology can better wage war against Germany? My guess is that a movie company will not be anywhere near any place where they could obtain sensitive information with or without Cruise there.

I am happy that Germany has officially put Scientology on its shit list. But this all seems kind of petty to me.

Nah. I too, think that some sort of accomedation should be reached. After all, the company isn't owned or run by the Scientologists (as far as we know, anyway); it is merely infected with a few and shouldn't be punished for just that. Well, not very much, anyway.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:38:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Seconded.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  08:46:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, the Church of Scientology is regarded with suspicion in Germany, where it is widely considered to be a cult that masquerades as a religion.

The organisation, which opened a European headquarters in Berlin this year, is kept under surveillance by German intelligence services.

This is a great example of in-depth journalism. Why is this particular religion any worse than any other religion? Why are they kept under surveillance. Are all religions kept under surveillance? How do they define cult, and what about that cult makes them more dangerous than any other cult?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  10:02:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo
How do they define cult, and what about that cult makes them more dangerous than any other cult?
Could it be because of documented cases of extorsion and other illegal activities they have been engaged in?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.