Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  13:11:56  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baby mammoth find promises breakthrough

The discovery of a baby mammoth preserved in the Russian permafrost gives researchers their best chance yet to build a genetic map of a species extinct since the Ice Age, a Russian scientist said on Wednesday.

"Such a unique skin condition protects all the internal organs from modern microbes and micro-organisms ... In terms of its future genetic, molecular and microbiological studies, this is just an unprecedented specimen."

Very cool discovery!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  13:27:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, it appears remarkably well preserved.

Creationists citing this as evidence of a young Earth in 3, 2, 1...

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  15:07:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, let me make an evolutionary prediction:

The DNA of mammoths will be more similar to elephants than to any other living organism.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:09:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

The DNA of mammoths will be more similar to elephants than to any other living organism.
Prediction? Evolutionary science makes predictions? Don't tell Dembski and the IDiots. They'd just be jealous.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Siberian plan I read about a couple years ago wants to find some intact sperm(most likely to survive freezing), and try to cross a mammoth with some current elephant species. After they get several, they would cross them with each other to try and create a mammoth-like animal capable of sustaining a population.

An ambitious project, to say the least.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:48:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's just cause they're the same kind.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:57:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yeah, but closer to African or Asian elephants?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  17:16:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but closer to African or Asian elephants?

That data should be available out there.

Not like this is the first ever frozen mammoth found. I'm confident in predicting that some basic genetic analysis of mammoth DNA has been done in the past.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  17:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I was right!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/12/1220_051220_mammoth.html

The extinct beasts are more closely related to Asian elephants than to African elephants

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  18:11:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And from an ID perspective, I predict that the thick furry coat of the mammoths will have some kind of function. Designers typically design things to have a function, after all. Not that this follows logically from ID in any way shape or form, I just predict it anyway.

(--- The first two sentences are examples of not atypical IDist reasoning. Sorry for hijacking the thread)

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  19:46:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

And I was right!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/12/1220_051220_mammoth.html

The extinct beasts are more closely related to Asian elephants than to African elephants

And this was fascinating, from your link:
Hofreiter says that this close timing may have an interesting parallel among primates, which include humans.

"It's interesting that gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans also split by two speciation events within a very short time," he explained
It's all very clear to me. (The fact that I'm taking some wonderfully strong pain meds for the ingrown toenail operation I had today is beside the point.)

I envision the ancestors of chimpanzees domesticating the African elephant for use as a mount for their war on the baboons. Homo erectus meanwhile rode the mammoth's ancestors into Asia, perhaps chasing the Orangutans on their mastodons. (Gorillas, with their fear of heights, refused to ride pachyderms at all, preferring zebras.) Imagine the cavalry battles! Science like this gives us much better stories than religious mythology.

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
It's all very clear to me. (The fact that I'm taking some wonderfully strong pain meds for the ingrown toenail operation I had today is beside the point.)

I envision the ancestors of chimpanzees domesticating the African elephant for use as a mount for their war on the baboons. Homo erectus meanwhile rode the mammoth's ancestors into Asia, perhaps chasing the Orangutans on their mastodons. (Gorillas, with their fear of heights, refused to ride pachyderms at all, preferring zebras.) Imagine the cavalry battles! Science like this gives us much better stories than religious mythology.

Have you been taking too many meds AND watched too much Lord of the Rings?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  21:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Have you been taking too many meds AND watched too much Lord of the Rings?
That's as may be. But my vision is vivid. Prove me wrong!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  22:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this beast quick frozen?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  06:02:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great question. I beleive it was between medium and quick medium frozen, as expressed on the international freezing rate scale.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  06:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

Great question. I beleive it was between medium and quick medium frozen, as expressed on the international freezing rate scale.

Even more importantly, it was long-frozen.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.