Texas carries out first execution in 60 hours
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  09:02:48  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Lone Star State's Longest Death Penalty Hiatus Ends, as Does Convict

AUSTIN, Texas (EP) -- A 25-year-old man was publicly executed Wednesday on live television by electric chair, stoning, lethal injection, hanging, and firing squad for having said, "Mexicans are okay," for disparaging Chuck Norris, and for not being a Southern Baptist. It was the state's first execution in 60 hours.

Charles Darwin Evans, of Lubbock, was pronounced dead at 10:11 p.m, 10:25 PM, 11:35 PM, 11:45 PM, and one minute to midnight.

Governor Rick Perry (GOP) had postponed Page's execution Monday over concerns that a 1984 state law requiring the use of a four-method execution could put prison officials at legal risk if they instead administered the more entertaining five-method combination that is now the State's standard. The Texas legislature met in special session Tuesday and passed a new law that allows prison officials to "... kill people any damn way they like."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/12/2007 09:18:53

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  09:19:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The convicts last words were, "This".

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  13:02:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The state should not have the right to kill criminals.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  15:54:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

You know, I not only don't know the reference for that, but I also doubt that Googling "this" will help solve the mystery.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  16:17:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

You know, I not only don't know the reference for that, but I also doubt that Googling "this" will help solve the mystery.

It's a death sentence word game...next convict in line for the eternal trip down the dead end street will have their "one word" to add to "This". It's a short story; a few pages long. Should be complete in a matter of a couple of months.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:00:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Originally posted by HalfMooner

It's a death sentence word game...next convict in line for the eternal trip down the dead end street will have their "one word" to add to "This". It's a short story; a few pages long. Should be complete in a matter of a couple of months.

Very nice. I (or somebody) was supposed to ask, I presume?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an idea; let's give Texas back to Mexico!

That way we can at least partially alleviate the immigration problem and rid ourselves of a nuisance in the bargain. It'd be worth it if only to get rid of Bush.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  17:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

If only all your posts were that funny.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Why is that funny?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  18:47:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was trying to imply he could only get out one word before he was executed, but that works just as well.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  19:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

That way we can at least partially alleviate the immigration problem and rid ourselves of a nuisance in the bargain. It'd be worth it if only to get rid of Bush.

It might be easier to stop illegal immigration if you instead invaded and occupied Central America all the way to the Panama Canal.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  19:50:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Hawks, then the complaints - most in Spanish - would be about the damn Colombians coming over the border and taking Americans' jobs.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  20:28:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hawks

It might be easier to stop illegal immigration if you instead invaded and occupied Central America all the way to the Panama Canal.
Been there, done that.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2007 :  23:52:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by JohnOAS

Why is that funny?

Because this is the Moonscape News folder.

Do you also write letters to Mad Magzazine suggesting that they really shouldn't fold buildings or personalities so maliciously on the back cover?

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 07/12/2007 23:53:28
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  00:11:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not sure they'd want it back. It's collected a lot of questionable mutations -- and Texans Southern Baptists -- since Mexico lost it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2007 03:12:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2007 :  03:11:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This wasn't intended as a "Find Waldo" assignment, but some few of you may have noticed from whence the OP arose, and some few may not have. It was from my reading of an CNN article, titled. "South Dakota carries out first execution in 60 years". That headline got me thinking about South Dakota in vivid contrast with the ghoul-haunted midlands of Baptist-ridden Texas, The State That Knows How to Lynch. After that, my story just wrote itself.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/13/2007 03:13:50
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.