New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:26:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Also sprach Jerome:
Hyracotherium: This seems to be a dog. Naming it "dawn horse" does not make it a horse.
And that's your scientific opinion, Dr. Gnome?

Calling it a horse "a dog" does not make you appear less of an idiot.

I didn't, science did:
This little animal (10-20" at the shoulder) looked nothing at all like a horse. It had a "doggish" look with an arched back, short neck, short snout, short legs, and long tail.
(from Filthys link)

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another interesting, fossil series.

And science did not call it a dog; you did. Science called it "dog-like" or "doggish." There's a difference, you know -- or do you?.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/14/2007 11:35:18
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:30:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Filthy, I was looking for an example of a positive genetic mutation that changed a species. A difference in a "kind" is not a genetic mutation that changes the species; these differences are within the species.
So you're saying that Hyracotherium and Equus burchelli are the same species? Wow! Even though the former you claim is a dog, while the latter is definitely not. So horses and dogs are the same "kind," to you?

Plus, of course, your use of the word "kind" is telling of your creationism. Not even IDists use "kind" (unless, of course, they're speaking to fundamentalists).

Oh, you also wrote:
The "huge pile" of evidence is lacking under examination just as this small example is.
That's quite a claim you've made there. Why don't you demonstrate it for us? Start by showing that changes in allele proportion within a population do not happen.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:31:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't, science did:
This little animal (10-20" at the shoulder) looked nothing at all like a horse. It had a "doggish" look with an arched back, short neck, short snout, short legs, and long tail.
Looks like science doesn't call a horse a dog, either.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Also sprach Jerome:
Hyracotherium: This seems to be a dog. Naming it "dawn horse" does not make it a horse.
And that's your scientific opinion, Dr. Gnome?

Calling it a horse "a dog" does not make you appear less of an idiot.

I didn't, science did:
(from Filthys link)

You said "it seems to be a dog" which is vastly different than saying "it had a 'doggish' look". How dishonest of you! But not surprising. Of course, I think you are just having fun with everyone here. Quite mature.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:36:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Define "kind."

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I didn't, science did:
Looks like science doesn't call a horse a dog, either.

So, when they say the "dog-like" animal that looks nothing like a horse is a horse, you are feeling OK about this?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:41:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, when they say the "dog-like" animal that looks nothing like a horse is a horse, you are feeling OK about this?
Where do they say that it's a horse?

What's the definition of "kind?"

Since when are Hyracotherium and Equus burchelli the same species?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:42:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco
You said "it seems to be a dog" which is vastly different than saying "it had a 'doggish' look". How dishonest of you! But not surprising. Of course, I think you are just having fun with everyone here. Quite mature.

These statements are relating the same idea.

It had a doggish look.

It seems like a dog.

Please explain how these statements are "vastly different".

Edit:spelling

Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 07/14/2007 11:44:39
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:47:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It had a doggish look.

It seems like a dog.

Changing what you said will not fool anybody.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:47:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Where do they say that it's a horse?

What's the definition of "kind?"

Since when are Hyracotherium and Equus burchelli the same species?

Read the links for your answers.(hint I quoted it)

Kind:a group united by common traits (Websters)

Who said they were?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:53:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It had a doggish look.

It seems like a dog.

Changing what you said will not fool anybody.

Now thats funny!

No answer.

You are not skeptical at all, you believe what you have been told by the high priest and will not succumb to heresy.

How are these statements "vastly different"?

It had a doggish look.

It seems like a dog.

It seems to be a dog.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  11:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't see anyone quotes stating "Hyracotherium was a horse."
Kind:a group united by common traits (Websters)
By that definition, all life on Earth is the same "kind," because it's all united by common traits (which you've quoted elsewhere). As such, arguing that evolution didn't happen because the horse's ancestors are the same "kind" as a modern horse is to do nothing less than state your ignorance of evolutionary theory, Jerome.

Actually, by that definition humans and the Large Magellanic Cloud are the same "kind," because they share traits like being made up of matter, being larger than a breadbox, etc.

Why don't you define the traits that make "horse kind" different from "dog kind" - the traits that the two groups do not share?
Who said they were?
You said they were the same species when you said, "these differences are within the species."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  12:06:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Kind" as it is too commonly used, is nothing but a cheap, creationist cop-out.

Sugar it off, Jerome. does it describe the species level, or genera, family, order, or what?

Did you find my latest series of fossils interesting?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2007 :  12:09:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't see anyone quotes stating "Hyracotherium was a horse."

The first equid was Hyracotherium, a small forest animal of the early Eocene. This little animal (10-20" at the shoulder) looked nothing at all like a horse. It had a "doggish" look with an arched back, short neck, short snout, short legs, and long tail. It browsed on fruit and fairly soft foliage, and probably scampered from thicket to thicket like a modern muntjac deer, only stupider, slower, and not as agile. This famous little equid was once known by the lovely name "Eohippus", meaning "dawn horse".

I guess you did not look very hard at the information.(first paragraph )

The scientific name was dawn horse

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.