Shirley Maclaine & Kevin Ryerson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Gary 7

28 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  15:05:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gary 7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Gary 7

All I know is that we don't need to believe in things first in order to experience and test them.
No, but those things still have to be real, otherwise you're experiencing and testing a phantom.
That is the meaning of objectivity.
Only if you redefine "objectivity" to mean that.
As for trusting what other people say - don't do it.
Great! So I'll ask again: how are the "objective methods to get at past life information" being measured?
Don't dwell in ignorance, either, because you are vulnerable to manipulation.
Way ahead of you, there.

Mystics and sages throughout the ages seemed to have the abiliy to plug into a universal source of knowledge.

Pendulms are used by many medicinal practioners. A man cured me of stomach ulcers using a pendulum when doctors assured me I would have to take expensive medication for the rest of my life. That is part of my experience.

During the Vietnam war dowsers were sent into minefields to locate mines. People do not risk their lives "flipping coins".

There is an element of faith and trust in a higher power, but testing it is a process known as spiritual development.

Skeptics should be open to these possibilities or else skepticism becomes an excuse for negative control of one's peers.

Is science up to coping with and quantifying such things?
If not why rely on it so much? In fact it's worthless - an intellectual excuse for turning natural elements into tools of destruction.

Science is for barbrians and witch doctors!

Metaphysics is known as the queen of siences. No proofs required. It's dealing with higher orders of reality. Get your head around that one!

Josef “Sepp” Dietrich

I perceive Hitler, Himmler, Eva Braun and others as warrior gangsters of the ancient and modern world.
I don't see Dietrich as an old soul, but perceive he has left his mark upon the ancient world, especially. There were indications that I would be able to find him in Victorian England and remembered he looked a little like the author William Makepeace Thackeray.

Thackeray

English novelist, only son of Richmond and Anne Thackeray (whose maiden name was Becher), was born at Calcutta on the 18th of July 1811. "He came to school young", Venables wrote, "a pretty, gentle, and rather timid boy." This accords with the fact that all through Thackeray's writings the student may find traces of the sensitiveness which often belongs to the creative mind, and which, in the boy who does not understand its meaning and its possible power, is apt to assume the guise of a shrinking disposition. To this very matter Venables tersely referred in a later passage of the letter quoted by Trollope: "When I knew him better, in later years, I thought I could recognize the sensitive nature which he had as a boy."

In February 1829 Thackeray went to Trinity College, Cambridge, and in that year contributed some engaging lines on "Timbuctoo", the subject for the Prize Poem (the prize for which was won in that year by Tennyson), to a little paper called The Snob, a title which Thackeray afterwards utilized in the famous Book of Snobs. The first stanza has become tolerably well known, but is worth quoting as an early instance of the direct comic force afterwards employed by the author in verse and prose burlesques:

In Africa -- a quarter of the world --
Men's skins are black; their hair is crisp and curled;
And somewhere there, unknown to public view,
A mighty city lies, called Timbuctoo.

One other passage at least in The Snob, in the form of a skit on a paragraph of fashionable intelligence, seems to bear traces of Thackeray's handiwork. At Cambridge, James Spedding, Monckton Milnes (Lord Houghton), Edward FitzGerald, W. H. Thompson (afterwards Master of Trinity), and others who made their mark in later life, were among his friends. In 1830 he left Cambridge without taking a degree, and went to Weimar and to Paris. His visit to Weimar bore fruit in the keen sketches of life at a small German court which appear in Fitz-Boodle's Confessions and in Vanity Fair. In George Henry Lewes's Life of Goethe is a letter containing Thackeray's impressions of the German poet. On his return to England in 1831 he entered the Middle Temple. He did not care to pursue the study of the law, but he found in his experience of the Temple the material for some capital scenes in Pendennis. In 1832 he came of age, and inherited a sum which, according to Trollope, "seems to have amounted to about five hundred a year." The money was soon lost -- some in an Indian bank, some at play and some in two newspapers, The National Standard (with a long sub-title) and The Constitutional. In Lovel the Widower these two papers are indicated under one name as The Museum, in connection with which our friends Honeyman and Sherrick of The Newcomes are briefly brought in. Thackeray's adventures and losses at play were utilized in his literary work on three occasions, in "A Caution to Travellers" (The Paris Sketch-Book), in the first of the Deuceace narrations (The Memoirs of Mr. C. J. Yellowplush), and in Pendennis in a story (wherein Deuceace reappears) told to Captain Strong by "Colonel Altamont." As to Deuceace, Sir Theodore Martin has related how once in the playrooms at Spa Thackeray called his attention to a certain man and said presently, "That was the original of my Deuceace."

In 1834 or at the end of 1833 Thackeray established himself in Paris in order to study art seriously. He had, like Clive in The Newcomes, shown talent as a caricaturist from his early boyhood. His gift proved of great value to him in illustrating much of his own literary work in a fashion which, despite all incorrectness of draughtsmanship, conveyed vivid suggestions that could not have been so well given by anyone but himself. Perhaps his pencil was at its best technically in such fantastic work as is found constantly in the initial letters which he frequently used for chapters in his various kinds of work, and in those drawings made for the amusement of some child friends which were the origin of The Rose and the Ring.

In 1836 Thackeray married Isabella, daughter of Colonel Matthew Shawe. There were three daughters born of the marriage, one dying in infancy. The eldest daughter, Anne Isabella (b. 1837), married in 1877 Mr. Richmond Ritchie, of the India Office, who in 1907 was created a K.C.B. She inherited literary talent from her father and wrote several charming works of fiction, notably Miss Angel (1875), and subsequently edited Thackeray's works and published some volumes of criticism and reminiscences. The younger daughter, Harriet Marian (b. 1840), married (Sir) Leslie Stephen in 1867 and died in 1875. Thackeray's own family life was early broken, for Mrs. Thackeray, to quote Trollope, "became ill and her mind failed her", in 1840, and he "became as it were a widower to the end of his days"; Mrs. Thackeray did not die until 1892.

In 1837 Thackeray came to London, worked at various kinds of journalism, and became a regular contributor to Fraser's Magazine. In this in 1841 appeared The History of Mr. Samuel Titmarsh and the Great Hoggarty Diamond, a work filled with instances of the wit, humor, satire, pathos, which found a more ordered if not a fresher expression in his later and longer works. For freshness, indeed, and for a fine perception which enables the author to perform among other feats that of keeping up throughout the story the curious simplicity of its supposed narrator's character, The Great Hoggarty Diamond can scarcely be surpassed. The characters, from Lady Drum, Lady Fanny Rakes, Lady Jane and Edmund Preston, to Brough, Mrs. and Miss Brough, Mrs. Roundhand, Gus Hoskins, and, by no means least, Samuel Titmarsh's aunt, Mrs. Hoggarty, with her store of "Rosolio", are full of life; the book is crammed with honest fun; and for pure pathos, the death of the child, and the meeting of the husband and wife over the empty cradle, stands, if not alone in its own line, at least in the company of very few such scenes in English fiction. The Great Hoggarty Diamond, oddly enough, met with the fate that afterwards befell one of Charles James Lever's best stories which appeared in a periodical week by week -- it had to be cut short at the bidding of the editor. In 1840 came out The Paris Sketch-Book, much of which had been written and published at an earlier date. The book contains among other things some curious divagations in criticism, along with some really fine critical work, and a very powerful sketch called "A Gambler's Death." In 1838 Thackeray had begun, in Fraser, The Yellowplush Papers, with their strange touches of humor, satire, tragedy (in one scene, the closing one of the history of Mr. Deuceace), and their sublimation of fantastic bad spelling (M'Arony for macaroni is one of the typical touches of this); and this was followed by Catherine, a strong story, and too disagreeable perhaps for its purpose, founded closely on the actual career of a criminal named Catherine Hayes, and intended to counteract the then growing practice of making ruffians and harlots prominent characters in fiction. Now, when Pendennis was coming out in serial form (1850), Miss Catherine Hayes, a singer of Irish birth and a famous prima donna (Sims Reeves described her as "the sweetest Lucia [di Lammermoor] he had ever sung with") was much before the public. A reflective passage in a number of Pendennis referred indignantly and scornfully to Catherine Hayes, the criminal of old time, coupling her name with that of a then recently notorious murderer. It would appear that Thackeray had for the moment, oddly enough, omitted to think of Miss Catherine Hayes, the justly famed soprano, while certain Irish folk were obviously ignorant or oblivious of the history of Catherine Hayes the murderess. Anyhow, there was a great outcry in the Irish press, and Thackeray was beset by private letters of indignation from enthusiastic compatriots of the prima donna. In deference to susceptibilities innocently outraged Thackeray afterwards suppressed the passage which had given offense.

However, working with superficial facial similarities is mostly an unsatisfactory business. Thackeray has too much hair and a much smaller nose than Dietrich's.

Jay Leno

Thackeray's connection to Jay Leno can be found somewhere in the Akashic Records.

http://brianstalinsnotebook1.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  15:58:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gary 7...

Mystics and sages throughout the ages seemed to have the abiliy to plug into a universal source of knowledge.
May have seemed to. But the ability to plug into that knowledge, or even the existence of such a body of knowledge has never been demonstrated.
Pendulms are used by many medicinal practioners.
Oh, surprise, another unsubstantiated claim. But then again, that's pretty much all you've got, isn't it, Gary?
A man cured me of stomach ulcers using a pendulum when doctors assured me I would have to take expensive medication for the rest of my life. That is part of my experience.
And your documentation of this is where?
During the Vietnam war dowsers were sent into minefields to locate mines. People do not risk their lives "flipping coins".
Yes, in the case of dowsing for land mines, they have.
There is an element of faith and trust in a higher power, but testing it is a process known as spiritual development.
And of course no matter what methods have been tried, no amount of testing for it has ever demonstrated the existence of any such higher power.
Skeptics should be open to these possibilities or else skepticism becomes an excuse for negative control of one's peers.
Skeptics are open to all possibilities, but you aren't able to back up your claims with any sort of valid evidence. Skeptics certainly aren't going to believe you simply on your say-so.
Are such things quantifiable? You have yet to offer any method of doing so.
If not why rely on it so much? In fact it's worthless - an intellectual excuse for turning natural elements into tools of destruction.

Okay, now we understand the gist of your position. Apparently you take science to be worthless and magic to be real. You do realize that makes you, by definition, delusional.
Metaphysics is known as the queen of siences. No proofs required. It's dealing with higher orders of reality. Get your head around that one!
Science relies on evidence which can be substantiated through experimentation. Metaphysics is magic, no proofs required as you say, the belief in which demonstrates a detachment from reality.

You may believe what you wish, but unless you're able to support your claims through the process of science, they are no more relevant to reality than the figments of anyone else's imagination. And if you're really as unsure as you seem about the dividing line between reality and fantasy, you might want to consider some specialized counseling for that problem.

Oh, and it's pretty rude of you to keep posting all the pictures and those long pieces copied and pasted from other sources. How about just posting your own comments and a few short, relevant quotes, and adding links to the source material?
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  16:13:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to figure out how to even start on this steaming pile of bullshit unevidenced woo, so I won't.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  16:58:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary 7:

Interesting. So why are you using a computer? I bet you even use a telephone once in a while. Oh hey, you don't drive do you? Is your residence air conditioned or heated? Did use a bow and arrow to kill the animal your clothes and food came from? I could go on like this forever. It's very easy to take for granted all the things science has done to make your life more comfortable while you wax philosophical or even mystical. But frankly, you would be living like a barbarian if it weren't for science. You are a hypocrite.
Gary 7:
Pendulms are used by many medicinal practioners. A man cured me of stomach ulcers using a pendulum when doctors assured me I would have to take expensive medication for the rest of my life. That is part of my experience.

Baloney. Stomach ulcers are very treatable and the medications are not at all expensive. And they don't have to be taken for life. Also, as I understand it, pendulums are used for diagnosis purposes mostly, but knowing the New Age as I do, it wouldn't really surprise me if there is a claim that it acts as a curative too. By the way, would you like to discuss lifespan since the since the development of modern medicine? Or is that too barbaric a subject?

Now, if I may…

Do not import any more photos unless you are able to resize them to fit nicely in a post. Your selection and the way you have set them up is making this thread almost unreadable…

Kil

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  17:16:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner...

It's hard to figure out how to even start on this steaming pile of bullshit unevidenced woo, so I won't.
Yeah, it looks like our young Mr. 7 might be having trouble getting his share of visitors to his blog, so he has decided to essentially post another copy of it over here.

Oh, Gary, here's one that's right up your alley, proof that the Sun is actually a giant hollow brass sphere with an electromagnet mounted inside...

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  19:31:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I do have one comment. This is a house of bullshit, built out of undefined bullshit bricks. It's not falsifiable, because it's essentially delusional and meaningless. As Pauli (Wolfgang Pauli, not Pauly Shore) once said after reading a student's very bad physics paper, "This isn't right. It's not even wrong."

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  19:36:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gary 7

"Seemed to." Did they really?
Pendulms are used by many medicinal practioners.
And lots of people think that homeopathic water can cure them of their ills, too. If a million people believe a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing.
A man cured me of stomach ulcers using a pendulum when doctors assured me I would have to take expensive medication for the rest of my life. That is part of my experience.
Where are your medical records documenting these events?
Apparently, you've never been to Las Vegas, nor do you know what people do there.
Testing it is a process that should be known as science.
I'm open to any possibility, so long as someone can provide the evidence.
Absolutely.
Ah, I see: you think that science can't cope with or quantify such things, and you were simply asking rhetorically. And you also seem to think that science leads to noplace but the bomb. But science only gathers knowledge. It's the technologists who figure out how to build bombs.

You know, Edgar Cayce came from a generation that was absolutely in love with technology, jumping on every quack cure that made use of electricity. Cayce himself often suggested the use of a couple of those devices to his customers. Then came Hiroshima, and the New Agers were so horrified by what technology had wrought that a backlash ensued. In the 50s, people were still trying to sell technology, but the Hippies in the 60s finally said, "enough!" The New Age hasn't much changed since then.

Except, of course, nowadays you can slap the word "quantum" on any old piece of garbage and the New Agers will hand you their wallets. So maybe the backlash is calming down, Gary, and you're just one of the holdouts.
And Edgar Cayce.

Aristotle, huh? Not hard to get one's head around Aristotle, except when one goes on to say "no proofs required." How tremendously non-Aristotlean.

And metaphysics doesn't deal with a "higher order of reality," but instead it deals with the philosophies underpinning all of the hard sciences (and then some!). If you want to think that "how do we know what we know" is somehow a "higher order" of reality than just knowing something, then you might impress the ignorati, but here in these forums it'll look like you're blowing smoke.
http://brianstalinsnotebook1.blogspot.com/
Are you brianstalin, or just a big fan who likes to cut-and-paste?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  20:08:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An aside on Pauli, whom I just read up on in Wiki. A couple of stories there illustrate his personality:
An incident reported to have occurred [5] with another leading physicist of the time, Paul Ehrenfest, illustrates this notion of an arrogant Pauli. The two met at a conference for the first time. Ehrenfest, though never having met Pauli, was familiar with his papers, and was quite impressed with them. After a few minutes of conversation, Ehrenfest remarked "I think I like your papers better than you", to which Pauli shot back "I think I like you better than your papers". The two became very good friends from then on.

A well-known joke about Pauli in the physics community goes as follows: After his death, Pauli was granted an audience with God. Pauli asked God why the fine structure constant has the value 1/(137.036...). God nodded, went to a blackboard, and began scribbling equations at a furious pace. Pauli watched Him at first with great satisfaction, but soon began shaking his head violently: "Das ist ganz falsch!" ["That is utterly false!"]

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  21:44:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary 7, why are famous people always reincarnated as famous people?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  22:07:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

That's Gnome 1, World 10,200. But it's a start.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  22:22:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't count so fast, Half. After all, Jerome's question presupposes that reincarnation happens.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2007 :  23:07:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Don't count so fast, Half. After all, Jerome's question presupposes that reincarnation happens.
D'oh! Dave 1, Mooner 0.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/20/2007 23:20:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary 7

28 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  19:10:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gary 7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Use your brain!
Ego drives us towards fame fortune and power. We are programmed from birth to reach the pinnacle of this junk pile. Just look at Britney and Paris - Goddesses. Even your postman could have been Alexander the Great who has learned that conquering the world causes jealousy and an early death.

What is the scientific basis for skepticism? Science can prove nothing of interest. The profoundest thing scientists say is that the Universe is made up of empty space mostly with small particle of matter flitting in and out. Morons!!!!!!! Stay clear of those idiots!

Is it lack of knowledge and experience that allow our tiny minds to be limited by scientific verification?

Reincarnation cannot be proved.

The fakery of psychics like Sylvia Browne and James Van Praagh has been proved, but is it fakery or just extreme incompetence and irresponsibility.

http://greatreincarnationdebates11.blogspot.com/

These 2 people just look alike - one was still living when the other was born.
Psychic experts are fallible (some have been accused of deliberate fraud) and never seem to teach us methods to replicate their data using objective methodology.

Many people look alike and look like famous dead people. The pendulum helps to separate speculative past life matches and the real thing.

That's why Dr Semkiw's past life matches backed up by one famous trance channeler is inadequate for scientific testing.

http://badpsychics.com/thefraudfiles...hp?storyid=347
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/fakepsychics
http://www.corporatenarc.com/sylviabrownescam.php
http://www.corporatenarc.com/sylviabrownehomepage.php

If the psychics and (hypnotherapists) produced a system by which their data could be replicated by independent practioners - the accusations would cease.

Why does Shirley Maclaine support the New World Order? Is it lack of compassion? Will paganism become the new satanic religion and will Marilyn Monroe be the Black Madonna,the wife of Lucifer? Are they really going to wipe out two-thirds of the Earth's population?

Who cares?

... imagine a boot stomping on a human face--forever. George Orwell and the future the New World Order advocates have for us.

Go to Top of Page

Gary 7

28 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  19:16:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gary 7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

D'oh! Dave 1, Mooner 0.

Your participation in this debate presupposes that the Matrix we live in is real. Based on what criteria? Are you not, in fact, dreaming?

Wake up!!!!!!!

Gary 1,Dave 0.

Eat my goal!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Gary 7

28 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  19:22:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gary 7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Find a meditation master and walk beyond the artificial Matrix we assume that is all that there is.

The evidence is in front of you!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds.