New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gary 7
Find a meditation master and walk beyond the artificial Matrix we assume that is all that there is.

The evidence is in front of you!!!

What evidence do you have of the false realities outside of similar looking people present and past?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Your participation in this debate presupposes that the Matrix we live in is real. Based on what criteria?
Actually, it isn't presupposition at all, but a carefully reasoned position based primarily upon pragmatism. I'd explain it to you, but since you project a fundamentalist's vehement antipathy for science, I don't think your bigotry would allow you to understand my metaphysics. You're far too focused on the past - relics like Cayce and meditation masters - to even begin to comprehend our future. Good grief! Humanity has already transcended spacetime, Gary, but your comparison of photos and yapping of who lived when is nothing less than a demand for restrictions that the rest of us left behind long ago. A wise man once said, "argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours." Well, Gary, you can have them.
Are you not, in fact, dreaming?
That you even ask that question demonstrates perfectly your ignorance of the truly deep ontological questions that the "queen of sciences" is still grappling with today. As I said, you're stuck in the past. "Great Thought" has left you behind in the dust, and won't slow down for you to catch up, yet still you stive for it like the acne-ridden geeky teenager who wakes up sticky and clamps his eyes shut in a vain effort to get back into the arms of his sister's best friend. I'd tell you that you should open your eyes, wipe yourself off, and try to hide the sheets like your shame, but I know all too well that at this point in time, the memory-scent of her hair is far too powerful for you to act against. And, you're powerful when you're with her, unlike in the real world. You see, Gary, you've got the roles reversed. No, of course you don't see. You wouldn't have asked the question if you understood.
Wake up!!!!!!!
I'm not the one stuck in a metaphysical nightmare, Gary, you are. The sad part for you is that you'll be unable to wake up until you get your head out of the sand, but you won't be able to pull your head out of the sand until you're awake. You're trapped in the circularity of your own ignorance, Gary. Because you celebrate your ignorance, clutching the past like it's the golden key to your future, you'll never be able to let it go. Your ego wouldn't withstand such a crushing defeat from your own hand.

And unfortunately, nobody else can help you, either. The idea that someone will come to you with red and blue pills and give you an opportunity, kid, is a fantasy. I'm sure you think that something like that has already occured, Gary, but it was a phantasm created by another mind parasite like you've become. And you're all swimming around like goldfish in a bowl, slapping each other on the back in a massive orgy of unashamed self-congratulation while everyone else, even the New Agers and psychic scammers that you abhor, have figured out the real puzzle and moved on to a brighter future.

Swim in circles for a while more, Gary, then come back and show us all that you're not eating another fish's poop any longer.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Your participation in this debate presupposes that the Matrix we live in is real. Based on what criteria?
Actually, it isn't presupposition at all, but a carefully reasoned position based primarily upon pragmatism. I'd explain it to you, but since you project a fundamentalist's vehement antipathy for science, I don't think your bigotry would allow you to understand my metaphysics. You're far too focused on the past - relics like Cayce and meditation masters - to even begin to comprehend our future. Good grief! Humanity has already transcended spacetime, Gary, but your comparison of photos and yapping of who lived when is nothing less than a demand for restrictions that the rest of us left behind long ago. A wise man once said, "argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours." Well, Gary, you can have them.
Are you not, in fact, dreaming?
That you even ask that question demonstrates perfectly your ignorance of the truly deep ontological questions that the "queen of sciences" is still grappling with today. As I said, you're stuck in the past. "Great Thought" has left you behind in the dust, and won't slow down for you to catch up, yet still you stive for it like the acne-ridden geeky teenager who wakes up sticky and clamps his eyes shut in a vain effort to get back into the arms of his sister's best friend. I'd tell you that you should open your eyes, wipe yourself off, and try to hide the sheets like your shame, but I know all too well that at this point in time, the memory-scent of her hair is far too powerful for you to act against. And, you're powerful when you're with her, unlike in the real world. You see, Gary, you've got the roles reversed. No, of course you don't see. You wouldn't have asked the question if you understood.
Wake up!!!!!!!
I'm not the one stuck in a metaphysical nightmare, Gary, you are. The sad part for you is that you'll be unable to wake up until you get your head out of the sand, but you won't be able to pull your head out of the sand until you're awake. You're trapped in the circularity of your own ignorance, Gary. Because you celebrate your ignorance, clutching the past like it's the golden key to your future, you'll never be able to let it go. Your ego wouldn't withstand such a crushing defeat from your own hand.

And unfortunately, nobody else can help you, either. The idea that someone will come to you with red and blue pills and give you an opportunity, kid, is a fantasy. I'm sure you think that something like that has already occured, Gary, but it was a phantasm created by another mind parasite like you've become. And you're all swimming around like goldfish in a bowl, slapping each other on the back in a massive orgy of unashamed self-congratulation while everyone else, even the New Agers and psychic scammers that you abhor, have figured out the real puzzle and moved on to a brighter future.

Swim in circles for a while more, Gary, then come back and show us all that you're not eating another fish's poop any longer.

Wow, Dave! I didn't know you had it in ya. You, my man, are facile with teh metafor. 10 out of 10.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:46:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gary 7:
What is the scientific basis for skepticism? Science can prove nothing of interest. The profoundest thing scientists say is that the Universe is made up of empty space mostly with small particle of matter flitting in and out. Morons!!!!!!! Stay clear of those idiots!

Well, I have been doing SFN for a long time now. This is, after all of that time, hands down, my favorite quote…ever.

No point in debating this. I'm afraid Gary is off his noni juice. Perhaps a good colonic would do the trick because he seems a bit stressed. I'm picking up lots of negative energy and I'm afraid his chakra might be out of alignment with the universe. Perhaps his pendulum is out of whack.

My girlfriend channels Sigmund Fraud if your interested Gary, though I suspect you would probably be more of a Carl Jung collective unconscious kind of guy…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave said
Humanity has already transcended spacetime

Could you expound on this?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil
My girlfriend channels Sigmund Fraud if your interested

Are you sure that shes not channeling your mother?

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  20:59:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Wow, Dave! I didn't know you had it in ya. You, my man, are facile with teh metafor. 10 out of 10.
Aw, thanks, but I had some similes in there, too. People who try to ensnare me in childish ontological pitfalls bring out the poet in me.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
H.H. wrote:
... you stive for it like the acne-ridden geeky teenager who wakes up sticky and clamps his eyes shut in a vain effort to get back into the arms of his sister's best friend. I'd tell you that you should open your eyes, wipe yourself off, and try to hide the sheets like your shame, but I know all too well that at this point in time, the memory-scent of her hair is far too powerful for you to act against. And, you're powerful when you're with her, unlike in the real world.
Damn you to Hell, H.H.! I've managed to surpress those 50-year-old fantasies about my older sister's best friend for decades, and now here you go an reawaken them!

The only cure now is to take a look at how she looks these days (shudder!)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:00:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

My girlfriend channels Sigmund Fraud...
That, Kil, was beautiful.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:03:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

My girlfriend channels Sigmund Fraud...
That, Kil, was beautiful.
A Freudian slip or kilbonics? You decide... Either way, I didn't do it on purpose, and I wish I had.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:04:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Dave said
Can you explain why Gary's question, "Are you not, in fact, dreaming?" is pathetically weak from a metaphysical basis? If not, then you're not ready to handle the transcendence, as I explained to Gary.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:10:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dave said
Can you explain why Gary's question, "Are you not, in fact, dreaming?" is pathetically weak from a metaphysical basis? If not, then you're not ready to handle the transcendence, as I explained to Gary.

I think therefore I am. Because I am the chair on which I sit is. So forth and so on.

Come on give it up. Explain how humanity in your view has transcended spacetime.

I hope you are not referring to the transfer of knowledge from generation to generation. I hope it is something I have not thought about before!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think therefore I am. Because I am the chair on which I sit is. So forth and so on.
Nonononono, you've started with epistemology, which is the wrong way to go. Think on it for a few days. I know it'll be difficult for you, but try to get into Gary's context. Don't try again until you're not making a guess, because that will just insult both of us.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  21:59:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Either way, I didn't do it on purpose, and I wish I had.
Wait: I thought that you think that Freud gets too much criticism as it is.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  06:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

It's hard to figure out how to even start on this steaming pile of bullshit unevidenced woo, so I won't.

Find a meditation master and walk beyond the artificial Matrix we assume that is all that there is.

The evidence is in front of you!!!
No "masters" for me, thank you very much. The only evidence I see is that you're a delusional looney.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds.