New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  06:01:56  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heres the thread for your favorite reading material...

Fiction
Chapterhouse: Dune
Dune (Hell I could list 5 of them)
World War Z
The Great and Secret Show
Vampire Lestat
Anthem (A bit preachy, but still moving)
The Complete Works of Phillip K Dick, what a forking genius
The Wastelands
Jaws
Ishmael
Thank You For Smoking
Jennifer Government Chapter 1 free
Great Expectations, NOT (Im getting bored just thinking about it.)

Non-Fiction
The Atlas of World History (barnes and noble)
The Essential Dictionary of Science
Bryne's New Standard Book of Pool and Billiards
Guns, Germs and Steel (flawed but solid)
Full House
The Structure of Evolutionary Theory (you thought Steven King was long winded)
How to Score A Mega-Hottie! JK

Edit: I forgot, How to Survive a Robot Uprising

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 07/19/2007 11:32:10

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:19:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

How to Survive a Robot Uprising
Step one.

[/hijack]

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  07:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

How to Survive a Robot Uprising
Step one.

[/hijack]

I love the disclaimer at the end:

Persons denying robots maybe a robot themselves.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much easier. Numbered for ease's sake; no particular order implied.

Fiction
1. The whole friggin' work of Isaac Asimov. The man's my hero.
2. Rendezvous with Rama - Arthur C. Clarke, as well as the following books
3. The Shining - Stephen King
4. His Dark Materials: The Golden Compass (or Northern Lights, if you're British), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman
5. All Harry Potters, by the all-too-rich J. K. Rowling. Yes, I do like it.
6. The Mists of Avalon - Marion Zimmer Bradley
7. about everything Philip K. Dick
8. Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
9. The Hitchhiker's Guide! How could I forget!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 07/19/2007 13:15:22
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:24:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Name of the Rose
Little big Man
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Journey to Matacumbe
The Travels of Jamie McPheeters
The 'Harry Potter' series
The 'Travis McGee' series
The 'Flashman' series
Rattlesnake: Portrait of a Predator
The Adventures and Follies of a Good-Natured Libertine
A Far Arena
Centennial
The 'American' series
The Holy Bible
The Koran (which I haven't read yet but plan on it)
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
The Collected Works of Edgar Allen Poe
The Collected Works of Robert W. Service
The Collected Works of Robert Burns
The Collected works of Rudyard Kipling

And that'll do it for starters...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  08:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to take a long time to think about 20 decent ones, as I read a lot of crap over the years. Not to say it wasn't good that I read it, but I can't say I would recommend what I read.

I read just about all of Jane Robert's non=fiction work several times. What is known collectively as "The Seth Material." I read several of Wayne Dyer's books. That kind of thing. Claude Bristols' "The Magic of Believing." Even got a Deepak Chopra book or two in there, I think. All of Carlos Castenada's work.

The best fiction I can recommend is Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" and "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." I'd like to re-read them all someday. Edited to say, there are books in the series that I haven't read now. I think there's a "Third Chronicles" or something like that.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 07/19/2007 08:46:19
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  09:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything Ken Kesey.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  10:18:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of Tom Clancy
The "Harry Potter Series"
The LOTR series
About everything from Bernard Cornwell... Except Sharpe
Sarum - Rutherford
London - Rutherford

Gun's, Germs, adn Steel
Collapse
The Geography of Religion - National Gepgraphy
Dictionary of World History
Dictionary of Philosiphy
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  11:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As near as I can figure, these are the novels which have left the greatest impression on me.

1. Blood Meridian -- Cormack McCarthy

2. Lolita -- Vladimir Nabokov

3. Catch-22 -- Joseph Heller

4. Crime and Punishment -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

5. The Sun Also Rises -- Ernest Hemingway

6. Of Human Bondage -- Somerset Maugham

7. Grapes of Wrath -- John Steinbeck

8. The Trial -- Franz Kafka

9. The Border Trilogy -- Cormack McCarthy

10. On The Road -- Jack Kerouac

11. The Lord of the Rings -- J. R. R. Tolkien

12. For Whom the Bell Tolls -- Ernest Hemingway

13. 1984 -- George Orwell

14. The Naked and the Dead -- Norman Mailer

15. Jude the Obscure--Thomas Hardy

16. The Perfect Spy -- John le Carre

17. Walden; or, Life in the Woods -- Henry David Thoreau

18. The Brothers Karamazov -- Fyodor Dostoevsky

19. War and Peace -- Leo Tolstoy

20. The Catcher in the Rye -- J.D. Salinger

21. Tropic of Cancer -- Henry Miller

22. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy -- Douglas Adams

23. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance -- Robert Pirsig

24. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the Looking-Glass -- Lewis Carroll

25. Slaughterhouse Five -- Kurt Vonnegut

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read to much. I can't list just 20... hehe.

But here's what I read for entertainment. In no specific order of preference:

Richard K Morgan, Start with this one. You won't put it down.

Matthew Stover, Heroes Die, and the sequal, are pretty amazing.

Jim Butcher, This guy is a very good writer. Interestingly, he is also not static in his skill. Every book he writes is a bit better than the last. The Dresden Files are all very entertaining and hard to put down, his other series is perhaps even better.

Alan Dean Foster, The Pip and Flinx novels kick ass, 'nuff said.

Naomi Novik, another original concept series. Take the Napoleonic wars, add some dragons...

Gene Wolfe, If you haven't read something by Gene Wolf, you are missing out on some of the best, ever. Wolfe is a master of the written word. He doesn't have a huge library of work, but you won't find a better writer anywhere.

I could go on for a bit....maybe later.

(edited for clarity)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 07/19/2007 12:21:52
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:31:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neil Gaiman, An amazing talent. One of his books, Stardust, has been made into a movie comming out later this year.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:40:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Sci - Fi, I like Jeff Noon (especially Vurt and Pollen), and (of course) William Gibson ("Neuromanceer")

I also like Chuck Palahniuk.

The books that I read repeatedly were the Dune series, the Foundation series, the Hitcherhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

Unfortunately, I haven't been reading much in book form lately. I blame my DVR, because it certainly isn't my fault. ;-)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  12:52:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan.

2. um...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  14:33:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I'd have to take a long time to think about 20 decent ones, as I read a lot of crap over the years. Not to say it wasn't good that I read it, but I can't say I would recommend what I read.

I read just about all of Jane Robert's non=fiction work several times. What is known collectively as "The Seth Material." I read several of Wayne Dyer's books. That kind of thing. Claude Bristols' "The Magic of Believing." Even got a Deepak Chopra book or two in there, I think. All of Carlos Castenada's work.

The best fiction I can recommend is Stephen R. Donaldson's "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" and "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." I'd like to re-read them all someday. Edited to say, there are books in the series that I haven't read now. I think there's a "Third Chronicles" or something like that.

Sweet. Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever and White-Gold Wielder. The hero of the anti-heros, and all around raping leper not so good, but thinks he wants to be most of the time anyway, good-guy.....

I got hooked on them (has it been 25 years?) a while ago. Read them twice, and might read them a third. I never saw the Third Chornicles.....

Edited to add.... Thank goodness for Amazon... There's a book to read.... a bit late for a follow-up (20+ years), but hey... I'll read them.
Edited by - Original_Intent on 07/19/2007 14:36:15
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  16:10:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just bought the first book of the Last Chronicles.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 07/19/2007 16:11:41
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  09:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some favorite books listed in no particular order:

Wind, Sand and Stars - Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Beautifully written, visionary book by the same author as "The Little Prince"

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind – Julian Jaynes
Fascinating book – a theory based on many years of research and still controversial though more influential these days. One of the great insights in this book: consciousness is not necessary for learning. In fact, consciousness is not necessary for thinking.

Warplanes of the Second World War – William Green
A multi-volume series of rare, out-of-print aviation history books beautifully written. Serves as a model for anyone striving to write a lucid, readable technical paper.

The Lathe of Heaven – Ursula LeGuin
A great little novel. Not exactly sci-fi as much as weird psychological tale, though there are space invaders, maybe. Has been made into at least two low-budget films.

The Adventures of TinTin - Explorers on the Moon - Herge
There's more than meets the eye in these classic, exquisitely drawn Belgian comic books with their intricate plots and twisted humor.

Old Jewish Comedians – Drew Friedman
Very cool book. (Hardly any words in it!) Here's one of several online reviews from a newspaper: http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/Content?oid=349527

Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right – Al Franken
Al Franken humorously reveals the not so funny antics of the far-right cretins masquerading as patriots.

Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book - Shel Silverstein
I have the 1st edition which my father bought for me when I was about 10, and without a parental warning sticker of newer editions. My old copy came from a freer time before political correctness.

Stravinsky – Vera Stravinsky and Robert Craft
Probably one of the best books about the great Russian composer. Full of intriguing images too.

The Man Who Rode the Thunder - William H. Rankin
A rare out-of-print book that would make a terrific movie if done right. True story of a fighter pilot who bailed out at high altitude over a massive thunder storm, and experienced the ride of his life. An adventure.

Stranger Than Science – Frank Edwards
Pure hokum but great fun. The first book that really sacred me as a kid. A marvelous collection from the files of retired newspaper reporter, Frank Edwards. Really spooky oddball unsolved stories.

Carl Sagan, A Life – Keay Davidson
Insights into Carl Sagan's ideas, personality and relationships.

Seeing in the Dark – Timothy Ferris
Timothy Ferris, who knew Sagan very well and is mentioned in the previous book, has a philosophical outlook toward science and astronomy and also reveals his love of blues music.

Man Flies -- The Story of Alberto Santos-Dumont – Nancy Winters
The strange life of Santos-Dumont, who would show up at his favorite café, buy one-man airship.

Bad Astronomy - Philip Plait
Phil Plait, known as the "Bad Astronomer" lays to rest and debunks many of the misconceptions and deceptions around space and astronomy. I've got an autographed copy.

The German Century – Michael Sturmer
This is a photo journal of Germany through the tumultuous 20th Century. Many of the images are stunning and unforgettable. (Not just the war years.) Images and texts describe cabare
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.