Deathly Hallows
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:31:33  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for fun-- who's waiting up until midnight tomorrow to run to the local bookstore and grab the latest (and last!) Harry Potter book? I will, but sadly must embark on a 5 hour road trip early on Saturday morning, meaning that as I drive down I-81, that damned book is going to be pretty tempting. How dangerous is it to read a book while doing 85 through Scranton, PA?

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  18:35:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Just for fun-- who's waiting up until midnight tomorrow to run to the local bookstore and grab the latest (and last!) Harry Potter book? I will, but sadly must embark on a 5 hour road trip early on Saturday morning, meaning that as I drive down I-81, that damned book is going to be pretty tempting. How dangerous is it to read a book while doing 85 through Scranton, PA?

I-81 is fairly straight and smooth; you should be O.K.!

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  19:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pre-ordered it from Amazon.com months ago. They have solemnly promised to have it on my doorstep the morning of the 21st -- this coming Saturday.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2007 :  19:18:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I-81 is fairly straight and smooth; you should be O.K.!

Not around Scranton. That's mountain road. It winds around a lot, and it's where the truckers grab them gears.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  18:40:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Not around Scranton. That's mountain road. It winds around a lot, and it's where the truckers grab them gears.
Too true! In fact, having done the Upstate NY-to-Baltimore thing too many times this past year, I know that road pretty well. There are certainly parts where you want to keep your eyes on the road, else it's a steeeep drop.

Thus, the temptation to live long enough to read it was stronger than the one to actually read while driving.

I saw elsewhere that you got your book and have started into it, Filthy. What did you think? Although I had some idea about what was going to happen with Snape, I must say that that JKR did it better than I could have imagined, and with a few extra twists!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  19:15:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Too true! In fact, having done the Upstate NY-to-Baltimore thing too many times this past year, I know that road pretty well. There are certainly parts where you want to keep your eyes on the road, else it's a steeeep drop.

Thus, the temptation to live long enough to read it was stronger than the one to actually read while driving.

I saw elsewhere that you got your book and have started into it, Filthy. What did you think? Although I had some idea about what was going to happen with Snape, I must say that that JKR did it better than I could have imagined, and with a few extra twists!
A masterful piece; superbly told. I wouldn't call it the greatest work of fiction ever, by any means but I wish I could write as well as Rowling.

I guessed Snape's fate, more or less, about book three. He was just too vile for it to be otherwise.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  02:03:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sent my girlfriend to pick up one copy. She's an early bird, and there's been people waiting outside the stores to grab the book when it's released, so in case there's a rush for the books she would be among the first to get one. I, on the other hand, was sleeping in...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:01:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I waited up until midnight, and went to the big bookstore in downtown San Diego so I could watch all the costumes and random silliness (HP came out one week before Comic-Con). Sadly, the line was as big as I had expected, but the people there all appeared to be "the worst kind of Muggles!" My girlfriend and I then walked over to the little bookstore; we got there around 12:30am and there was no line. We bought two copies of the book then went home and started on the reading.

It was great! And, without spoiling anything, I would like to say that it ended perfectly. I could not expect or wish for a better finish.

Now, I know JKR says this will be her last HP book, but does anybody think she might bend a little and start a "next generation" series?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  11:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Ok, so I waited up until midnight, and went to the big bookstore in downtown San Diego so I could watch all the costumes and random silliness (HP came out one week before Comic-Con). Sadly, the line was as big as I had expected, but the people there all appeared to be "the worst kind of Muggles!" My girlfriend and I then walked over to the little bookstore; we got there around 12:30am and there was no line. We bought two copies of the book then went home and started on the reading.

It was great! And, without spoiling anything, I would like to say that it ended perfectly. I could not expect or wish for a better finish.

Now, I know JKR says this will be her last HP book, but does anybody think she might bend a little and start a "next generation" series?
Possible certainly, but I don't think she will. No matter how good it might be, it would still be the shadow of the first series and therefore anticlimatic by it's very nature.

I think that she'll write something very different, albeit in the same genre. I also think that that's a goodish way down the road.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  12:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

This happened to me-- I was at the big B&N, lucky number 202 in line. At about 11:45, I was fed up and so walked to a 24 hour grocery store nearby. They were selling the books too at exactly the same price, but with a much much smaller crowd. I was out of there by 12:04 and stayed up almost until 1 reading.

I know that she's talked about doing an "encyclopedia" where she'll fill in gaps and flesh out various character and such with history that she couldn't include in the books themselves. But I don't know if a "next generation" thing is on her list. Perhaps when she wants to make a move on Oprah for number 1 on the list of richest women in the world in a few years, she'll pick up her pen again...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  13:00:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think she'll pick up the pen a lot sooner than a few years. Like all of the best writers, she's compulsive. She simply can't not pick it up, and obscene wealth has nothing to do with it.

Indeed, she might have (probably has) a glimmer of something in the back of her mind already.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

MilindChatterji

India
4 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  08:23:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MilindChatterji a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i am a Harry Potter fan, n must have read all the series more than thrice. the last one, Harry potter and the deadly hallows i finished within 4days time.. sad tht J k Rowling has announced that this will be her last book of the series.. hope she changes her heart soon..! at least for harry Potter fans like us.
Go to Top of Page

ArunSaxena

1 Post

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  02:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ArunSaxena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, of the all earlier releases, i had managed to read the exciting world of Harry Potters just within a few days of its release, but this last deathly Hallows i have read only a couple of months back.i feel the excitement and thrill that was there in Prisoner of Azkaban or the Order of Pheonix is lacking here to some extent. what's your opinion?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  03:22:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coincidentally, over the last couple of months, I've re-read the entire series. I've finally reached Deathly Hallows and will start it again soon.

HP is one of those yarns that never seem to get stale.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  05:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Coincidentally, over the last couple of months, I've re-read the entire series. I've finally reached Deathly Hallows and will start it again soon.

HP is one of those yarns that never seem to get stale.

It is, isn't it? It sort of surprised me the first time I read it.
There are more serious - books that I read and re-read without ever tiring of (Brave New World comes to mind), but HP did surprise me in that aspect of not getting boring...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.