A fly-ing plane
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  14:09:28  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I know most of you don't read Swedish, but if you just look at the pictures you'll get the ... eh ... picture.

The only thing that isn't conveyed by the pics is that you're supposed to catch 4 flies in a jar and put the jar in the freezer long enough to render the flies immobile, but not dead. Then breathe on the flies to thaw them.

http://www.fortunecity.se/skogsangen/lummelunda/195/

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  14:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I indeed do not read Swedish. But I think I get the idea. So this is a four-engine kamikaze micro-aircraft, equipped with a contact-igniting incendiary warhead, right? And the flies are simultaneously its unwilling passengers, its pilots, and its engines. Already knowing they are doomed, they get to cooperate in deciding their target for vengeance? Dramatic setup, and very cool!

I do find it amazing that 1) they let you play with matches over there, and 2) that Sweden is still standing.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/21/2007 14:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  15:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, a four fly-engine fly-bomber. This reminds me, years ago (while earning a Master's Degree in college) I recall also making a missile variation of this, (without the fly power plants and pilots).

1. Break off the ignitable head of a good sized wooden match.
2. Carefully stick a long needle a bit into the broken wooden part.
3. Take a 2 by 2 inch square piece of tinfoil and place the match head with needle base into the center of the foil and twist the foil around the head, twirling it tightly against the match head and down along the shaft of the needle.
4. Gently hold the tin wrapped match head and carefully pull out the needle leaving a tiny rocket tube and tiny opening in the back.
5. Place this match head rocket on a pre-made "launching pad" i.e. a folded piece of paper or foil propped up at a tilt. Make sure the tin-covered match head sticks out over the edge of the simple launcher.
6. Light another match and hold the flame under the tin-covered match head, and...
7 WHOOOOSHHH! A match head rocket fires off into space!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  18:08:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw a video once - a long time ago - that suggested that houseflies would always and only fly if their feet weren't touching anything. But I suppose that's wrong.

Here's something nice.

Fly plane failures - I think they shouldn't have used krazy glue.

Someone has set your link to music, Mab, and I think translated it into Portuguese.

Into English, also. Why do people like to set their failed fly-planes on fire?

Then again, maybe those failures happened because people were gluing the flies' feet down. The video I saw had a slender wire glued to the fly's back, so they could dangle it in mid-air. If they put a cottonball in its feet, it would stop flying and "walk" on the cottonball. Only when they pulled the cottonball away would the fly fly.

Screw the flies, and the plane, I want one of these (well, it was fun while it lasted).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  18:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, I like the second link!

Amazing, not disgusting at that angle!

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  21:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is no one attaching "engines" to the tailplane? Surely they're not expecting aerodynamics to work in this configuration.

I too wonder about the desire to incinerate the failures.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2007 :  22:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I saw a video once - a long time ago - that suggested that houseflies would always and only fly if their feet weren't touching anything.
Then how could they ever take off?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  09:31:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's portuguese.
Maybe they set fire to make it more realistic? [;p]

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2007 :  11:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Why is no one attaching "engines" to the tailplane? Surely they're not expecting aerodynamics to work in this configuration.
I forgot to mention that I've also seen a video of an actual, working fly-powered plane, a balsa-wood-and-tissue biplane slightly smaller than a box of matches. If I remember correctly, the fly's butt was glued to a stick jutting out in front, and it really did drag the little plane around the room, in the air.

That's what I really wanted to find on YouTube when I found all that other stuff.

The keywords for searches are tough. "Fly plane" just doesn't cut it. But look what I just found on Google, anyway: FlyPower.com, selling DIY fly-powered airplane kits.

And it seems that my memory is vindicated!
Finally, one last fact. As you will see on the Historical Flypower page, many designs for fly powered aircraft have been presented to the unwary public. Most depict flies being glued to some form of fuselage by their feet. This is a sure way to disaster.

Fact: Flies will only continue to beat their wings so long as their feet are free. As soon as the feet become stationary, the will stop flying. Remember this as the fundamental rule of FlyPower.
They even have a birthday card with their kit inside. Cute.

Oh, and they say that the original illustrations that Mab's link apparently copied were from Esquire magazine circa 1990.

Edited for slpelgni.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

jason hinds
BANNED

1 Post

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  01:26:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send jason hinds a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spam removed. //Dr. Mabuse

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/11/2007 02:36:09
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  01:37:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by jason hinds
Spam removed. //Dr. Mabuse
I think this is the very first caviar spam I've ever seen.

Mmmm, caviar Spam!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 08/11/2007 02:37:00
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  02:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caviar on canned ham? I think I'll pass thank you.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  06:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's another way to make the mini-rocket that Chippewa mentioned, it's shown in the Scientific American Great International Paper Airplane Book, from around 1973 I believe:

Take a paper match, lay a pin along it with the point at the base of the matchhead

Wrap tinfoil around the head to about a third of the way down the shaft

Remove the pin leaving an exhaust channel

Take a paper clip and bend the inner loop up at a 45 degree angle

Place the match on the paper clip launch stand

Hold a lighted match under the head of the wrapped one and wait!

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.