Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2007 :  20:24:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/24/2007 20:24:42
Go to Top of Page

andymonk

29 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:21:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send andymonk a Private Message
Does no one find it strange that so many ancient civilizations used "the flower of life"(the name given to this ancient symbol),considering they were thousands of miles and years apart?
Go to Top of Page

andymonk

29 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:24:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send andymonk a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by andymonk

Is this symbol the COMPLETE ancient flower of life?
What does this question even mean? What's a "flower of life?" How old is "ancient?" Does it matter whether it's "COMPLETE" or not?
The complete ancient flower of life is a ringed sample of the continuous pattern of creation.
Go to Top of Page

andymonk

29 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:27:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send andymonk a Private Message
Originally posted by Dude

andy, first you should try to clean up the formatting of your posts some. They are very hard to read when you go beyond two sentences. Maybe use a paragraph break or two.

Second:
The universal consciousness we were all part of before we entered this material world.

You'll need to provide some evidence.

We do not see with our eyes,we see THROUGH our eyes.

Another baseless asertion. Obviously we see with our eyes. Yes, our brain processes the raw data, which is why our vision is so easily fooled by optical illusions, and its also the reason we see patterns where none actually exist.

Try this illusion. One of the better examples of our flawed visual perception.

This one is fun also.

Close to where i live is a small village which has a name that discribes you perfectly. http://www.carbolicsmokeball.com/images/300/91346.jpg Only joking
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  08:38:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

Does no one find it strange that so many ancient civilizations used "the flower of life"(the name given to this ancient symbol),considering they were thousands of miles and years apart?
Nope. There are only so-many designs one can create with a simple circular geometry.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  08:52:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Is this symbol the COMPLETE ancient flower of life?

I believe it is only the nearly COMPLETE flower of life.

Very very close, but no cigar.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  08:54:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
The complete ancient flower of life is a ringed sample of the continuous pattern of creation.
Hmmm. I've read this sentence a few times. And I am pretty sure that "a ringed sample of the continuous pattern of creation" is just as meaningless as "ancient flower of life." Perhaps you could try again with a better definition?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  09:17:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

Yeah, see, you're smiling because while I can tell that those are English words, and that they're put together with an English grammar, you know that I can't derive any meaning from them and that they don't answer my previous questions.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  13:29:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message
Reminds me of an interview Howard Cosell had with Muhammad Ali. Cosell introduced him as "The pugnacious Muhammad Ali." to which Muhammad asked "What does pugnacious mean?". Howard replied: "It means truculent."

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by leoofno

Reminds me of an interview Howard Cosell had with Muhammad Ali. Cosell introduced him as "The pugnacious Muhammad Ali." to which Muhammad asked "What does pugnacious mean?". Howard replied: "It means truculent."
That's Cosell for you. If Cosell had kept that up, he'd have discovered the definition for himself.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:20:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
They're perfectly cromulent words, they've just embiggened the sentence into meaninglessness.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  14:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Do the rings correspond with years? If so, can they be used to count back to the time of creation? This could be bigger than dendrochronolgy!

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:43:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message
There is much we know and yet do not know.

There is much we have known and yet do not know.

...Rumsfeld?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  00:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

There is much we know and yet do not know.

There is much we have known and yet do not know.

...Rumsfeld?
Good catch, OFFC! That does indeed have that Yoda-like touch of Rumsfeldian obscurantism.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/04/2007 00:36:39
Go to Top of Page

andymonk

29 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2007 :  06:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send andymonk a Private Message
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Hmmm. I've read this sentence a few times. And I am pretty sure that "a ringed sample of the continuous pattern of creation" is just as meaningless as "ancient flower of life." Perhaps you could try again with a better definition?
I know its not a very good explaination but its hard to explain. If anyone can see what i,m trying to say,could they try and explain it better. If you drew a circle on a wallpapered wall,would you call that a ringed sample of the wallpaper?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.