Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  13:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

In reguards to the Dr. Mab post, yes it is an inherited position. If you create your own universe, complete with life and everything, then you get to create the laws that govern that universe as well.
And if you don't, your earlier question is meaningless.
Can the created trump, or even challange, the creator? Obviously not.
Except that we've got real-world examples of just that happening all the time. Once again, Bill, you require an exception to the general rule in order to squeeze God in.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  15:01:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by filthy

Now then, because I think that the micro/macro lables on evolution are a fat, steaming pile of crap, and it's all just plain, old evolution, I'd like to ask: How many, in your opinion, Bill, 'micros' would it take to make a "macro?'

Y'know, I've asked that question many times and have yet to get a coherent answer. Suprise me, Bill.

How about you surprise me first and fill me in on your requirements for events throughout history to be reported on as actual. What makes you think, or convinces you, that people and events in history actually happened?
Like water off a duck's back.

Why didn't you answer filthy's question? In light of many of your posts, it seemed like a fair one.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  15:26:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
My point is that we, who think the theory of biological evolution is the best explanation for the diversity of life on earth, think the Laws of Nature is "the designer".

Who is the Law Maker that passed the Laws of Nature?

Does it matter? Not for the scientist. Is it possible to scientifically find out who was the Law Maker? No, given our current understanding of the Laws of Nature, we will never be able to find out. This is a question of the Anthropic Principle.

What do I think? Maybe there is a Law Maker, maybe there isn't. We don't have any scientific evidence that points to there being one, at least no evidence left after the Big Bang. So if I assume that there was a Law Maker that created the Laws of Nature, I would be a Deist, probably not very different from Hal Bidlack I suppose. Listen to Hal Bidlack on Skepticality.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  15:40:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now then, because I think that the micro/macro lables on evolution are a fat, steaming pile of crap, and it's all just plain, old evolution, I'd like to ask: How many, in your opinion, Bill, 'micros' would it take to make a "macro?'

Y'know, I've asked that question many times and have yet to get a coherent answer. Suprise me, Bill.

How about you surprise me first and fill me in on your requirements for events throughout history to be reported on as actual. What makes you think, or convinces you, that people and events in history actually happened?
Red Herring, Bill; sorry, but I ain't chasin' it!

In your opinion, how many micros might it take to make a macro?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  16:58:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill wrote;
Always a sucker for the scent of herring, I'll sniff a little ways down this trail.

Historians (at least the good ones) rely on what they call "primary sources." Rather than parroting other peoples' histories or earlier compilations of rumor and legend, they look for letters written by contemporaries, journals by witnesses, public records of the time, and sometimes archaeological evidence. In other words, they look for independent evidence from the time in question. The kind of primary source evidence that's so lacking with some legends.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/31/2007 17:02:32
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  17:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Always a sucker for the scent of herring, I'll sniff a little ways down this trail.

Bad boy! Don't let him get away with such trickery.

But I'd alter filthy's question a little bit, as it is too specific for my tastes. Can a series of micro evolutionary events accumulate over time in the same family tree to what you would call a macro evolutionary event? If not, why not?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  03:53:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

But I'd alter filthy's question a little bit, as it is too specific for my tastes. Can a series of micro evolutionary events accumulate over time in the same family tree to what you would call a macro evolutionary event? If not, why not?
Nah. All I'm asking for is an opinion. Bill doesn't have to give reference or anything of the sort. I just want to know what he thinks as to the ratio of micro evolving into macro. If he chooses to elaborate as to why he thinks thus & such, I'd be interested in that as well, but it's not necessary. I might ask about it later, but for now, casual numbers will suffice.

Something else I'd like to know, Bill, is your definitions of 'micro' and 'macro' as they relate to the theroy of evolution. If we have those, perhaps we'll be able to clear up some of those irritating confusions that so often arise from misunderstandings.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  04:50:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, and maybe I am not your typical Christian, but I have found it much more efficient at getting to the bottom of the facts by learning and teaching myself through my own research and experiences then counting on any pastor, including my home church pastor, to be my only teacher and sole source of information. Again, I will test any information given to me, even if the source is my pastor, and then I will hold onto what is true.

Given the many posts you made here at SFN which contains gross caricatures and misconceptions about the Theory of Evolution, I have to say that your quest to teach yourself about the Theory of Evolution has failed miserably. The ideas you have posted so much resembles the garbage peddled by Answers in Genesis, I wonder if not most of the information comes from there. Have you really considered what bias your source might have?
Also, since you have been doing your study by yourself, it means that you haven't had anyone who can put the information you've gathered in its proper perspective and context. This also affects your understanding of the subject, as any conlcusion you draw will invariably be heavily coloured by your own bias.

Again, what it boils down to is, can your really rely on Christians to properly present the ToE?
Can you trust yourself to correctly interpret the conclusions that the ToE offer?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Red Herring Bill; sorry, but I ain't chasin' it!

Oh RH my eye. I just spent the last 5-10 posts on why I believe JC to be the creator of our glorious creation and then presented a solid case for the historicity of the resurrection of JC as the capstone to his claim of divinity. Of which you address none only to say that you dismiss the divinity of JC and AtG and then you head off on some tangent about horseshoe crabs rather then address the issue of you rejecting the resurrection without even addressing the historical evidence I presented for you. Now I repeat, if you reject the historicity of the resurrection of JC then would you please explain to me on what basis you do except any claimed fact from ancient history?

In your opinion, how many micros might it take to make a macro?

Zero.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:32:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Who is this law maker?

Does it matter?

Obviously not to some.

Not for the scientist.

And that is my problem. Somehow this imaginary separation line between cosmology/evolution has established itself in the minds of these scientists. bio evolution 101 can not be mingled with cosmology 101, these are two separate topics, they say. They create this facade so that they may protect their delicate prize while attempting to save face:

Darwinian Evolutionist: Once up on a time back in the primordial haze of ancient earth there may have existed a warm little pond. And in this pond all of the diversity of life that we see before us may have originated here...

Evolution Skeptic: Where did this warm little pond come from? What about the life inside the pond that we are told is in there?

Darwinian Evolutionist: My silly little delusional creationist friend that is a cosmology question, not a bio evolution question.

Evolution Skeptic: O.K. then what does cosmology say about the origin of this warm little pond and the life inside it?

Darwinian Evolutionist: Well, not much.

Is it possible to scientifically find out who was the Law Maker? No, given our current understanding of the Laws of Nature, we will never be able to find out. This is a question of the Anthropic Principle.

In light of the case that I put forth on what basis do you reject the resurrection of Christ? I say that you can come to a scientific understudying of who the creator is.

What do I think? Maybe there is a Law Maker, maybe there isn't. We don't have any scientific evidence that points to there being one,

Well we do have the creation itself. I would say that would be evidence for a creator and therefore a Law Maker. Surly you do not believe that the Earth was just here, do you?

at least no evidence left after the Big Bang.

Yes, can you tell me more about this BB as well when you give me your summarized version of bio evolution? And please try and tie the two togather.

So if I assume that there was a Law Maker that created the Laws of Nature,

So are you assuming there is one?

I would be a Deist <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deist>, probably not very different from Hal Bidlack I suppose. Listen to Hal Bidlack on Skepticality <http://skepticality.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=238578>.

Just so I understand right, you believe that the creator, who ever he/she may be, set the creation in motion and then has been absent from the daily goings on ever since?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/01/2007 05:50:43
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:40:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here I will make this simple for you. I reject the notion that all life on earth can be traced back to one warm little pond. I believe cows were created as cows and man was fully created as man. If you want to call a beetle becoming tolerant of pesticides as micro or macro evolution I do care as they are still beetles.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Bill wrote;

Historians (at least the good ones) rely on what they call "primary sources." Rather than parroting other peoples' histories or earlier compilations of rumor and legend, they look for letters written by contemporaries, journals by witnesses, public records of the time, and sometimes archaeological evidence. In other words, they look for independent evidence from the time in question. The kind of primary source evidence that's so lacking with some legends.

And then so you reject the resurrection of Jesus Christ because why??????

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here I will make this simple for you. I reject the notion that all life on earth can be traced back to one warm little pond. I believe cows were created as cows and man was fully created as man. If you want to call a beetle becoming tolerant of pesticides as micro or macro evolution I do care as they are still beetles.

Wow. Good job at completely not answering the question. Want to give it another shot?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  05:56:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Again, and maybe I am not your typical Christian, but I have found it much more efficient at getting to the bottom of the facts by learning and teaching myself through my own research and experiences then counting on any pastor, including my home church pastor, to be my only teacher and sole source of information. Again, I will test any information given to me, even if the source is my pastor, and then I will hold onto what is true.

Given the many posts you made here at SFN which contains gross caricatures and misconceptions about the Theory of Evolution, I have to say that your quest to teach yourself about the Theory of Evolution has failed miserably. The ideas you have posted so much resembles the garbage peddled by Answers in Genesis, I wonder if not most of the information comes from there. Have you really considered what bias your source might have?
Also, since you have been doing your study by yourself, it means that you haven't had anyone who can put the information you've gathered in its proper perspective and context. This also affects your understanding of the subject, as any conlcusion you draw will invariably be heavily coloured by your own bias.

Again, what it boils down to is, can your really rely on Christians to properly present the ToE?
Can you trust yourself to correctly interpret the conclusions that the ToE offer?

Well here is your golden opportunity to cure me of my evil ways and show me the error of my ways.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2007 :  06:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow. Good job at completely not answering the question. Want to give it another shot?

Wow. Good job at completely not answering the question.

How so?

Want to give it another shot?

No.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.