Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Minneapolis bridge collapse: Is this the cause?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  06:49:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The NTSB is now beginning to focus attention on failure of gusset plates as a possible cause of the bridge collapse.

Gusset plates are flat steel plates which are used to join structural beams together, by use of either welding, rivets, or bolts.

Wiki now has a link to the full resolution version of the first photo I used in the OP. I've cropped from that to show the following detail. That most rusty looking area on the bridge's southwest primary column at the right is a gusset plate.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/09/2007 07:46:49
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  14:04:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Well, the cause of the collapse has been discovered. It was all them queers that Minnisota has been coddling for all these years, and God's gotten sick of it.
Fred Phelps Is Coming

Rev. Phelps says God hates Minnesota, the "land of the sodomite damned."

The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., plans to stage protests at funerals of victims of the 35W bridge collapse to state that God made the bridge fall because he hates America, and especially Minnesota, because of its tolerance of homosexuality
Yep, Mediocre Fred's disfunctional family is coming to the Twin Cities to help spread the misery; isn't that wonderful?

Actually, I think that the existence of the Westboro Baptist Church, and others of the ilk, is strong evidence in favor of the non-existence of God. After all, what sort of a diety would tolorate such?

What if I shoot Phelps and then say he got shot in the arse by some crazy argentinan because God hates him? Maybe it would work better if I shoot him and someone else says the statement. (Iīm not going to shoot him really, however since I donīt believe in God, specially the christian god... well you know, I donīt know whatīs right from wrong!)

Cheers
perrodetokio

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  14:37:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Getting waaaay off topic, but it would be a great day for American justice when people who profess a "higher" standard than U.S. law are actually held to whatever standard they claim. For example,
Hypothetical Judge: Yes, Reverend Phelps, I concur that your protests
are protected by the First Amendment, but the bailiff tells me that your
suit is a cotton/wool blend, forbidden per Leviticus 19:19, and so you'll
be remanded to the county jail until such time as the local Rabbis agree
upon what your punishment should be.
That sort of thing would go a long way towards ensuring that the self-righteous really are willing to live by their stated convictions (haha!).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  16:02:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder, Dave, though I'm a believer in the rule of law and the rights of expression even of people like Phelps, why do I keep hoping for a lynch mob to slaughter the bastard and his followers? And why do I hope someone will post the action on You Tube? Is it just that I'm a bad person?

And don't worry about the hijack. We can always move the original topic elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  16:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I wonder, Dave, though I'm a believer in the rule of law and the rights of expression even of people like Phelps, why do I keep hoping for a lynch mob to slaughter the bastard and his followers? And why do I hope someone will post the action on You Tube? Is it just that I'm a bad person?
Not by my book, but I'm no paragon of virtue.
And don't worry about the hijack. We can always move the original topic elsewhere.
Well, I think the original topic suffers from a lack of opportunities for independent research at this stage. All we've got is speculation. That said, I don't think that surface rust is enough to pinpoint a structural failure, since otherwise the Twin Towers would have been condemned during construction. If that does happen to be the failure point, I'll wager that it was rusty because a multitude of small internal fractures caused gusset to flex and then the paint to crack, and not the other way around.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  16:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Not by my book, but I'm no paragon of virtue.
Well, I think the original topic suffers from a lack of opportunities for independent research at this stage. All we've got is speculation. That said, I don't think that surface rust is enough to pinpoint a structural failure, since otherwise the Twin Towers would have been condemned during construction. If that does happen to be the failure point, I'll wager that it was rusty because a multitude of small internal fractures caused gusset to flex and then the paint to crack, and not the other way around.
Yeah, I've backed off on drawing conclusions. The rust is only suggestive of poor maintenance, and not even conclusive of that. One thing I'd read (sorry, I don't have a link handy) was about a study suggesting that failure analysis models for gusset plates may be in need of revision.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  19:58:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the latest I've found on efforts to determine the cause of the collapse:
Questions about the gussets prompted Transportation Secretary Mary Peters to caution states about stress placed on bridges during construction projects.

Investigators are also looking at whether extra weight from construction work could have affected the bridge. An 18-person crew had been working on the Interstate 35W span when it collapsed during the evening rush hour.

Bruce Magladry, director of the National Transportation Safety Board's Office of Highway Safety, said the agency will use a computer to simulate how the bridge might have behaved with different loads, and with different parts of the bridge failing. He said there are infinite combinations to test, so the simulation may have to be run 50 times or 5,000 times.

"Then we compare what the (simulated) collapse looks like to what we actually see out there on the ground," Magladry said, and repeat the simulation until it matches what happened.
Sounds like good forensic work is being done.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/11/2007 20:01:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.