Utah mine's owner opposed mine safety measures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  17:56:37  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robert Murray, CEO of Murray Energy Corporation, which owns and operates the Crandall Canyon Mine in which six coal miners are trapped (or are dead), has been an outspoken opponent of mine safety measures, such as miner location devices.

Robert Murray points to his tears, but I only see teeth.

After last year's Sago mine disaster in which 12 men were trapped and killed in West Virginia, Murray opposed legislation by lawmakers there and in his home state of Ohio that would require miners to wear emergency tracking devices.
The mine has reportedly been excavated using a dangerous method called "retreat mining," where pillars of coal are used to support the roof, then are collapsed after the coal has been dug out. Though it's the most dangerous method, retreat mining is quite profitable, since it allows even the coal of the support pillars to be mined.

Murray flatly denies the use of retreat mining at Crandall Canyon. Yet, oddly, his corporate President says it's a safe practice. The Washington Post has an article on the use of retreat mining at the the mine.

Murray insists that the collapse on August 6, 2007 of the Crandall Canyon Mine was caused by an earthquake, but according to geophysicists, the 3.9 Richter quake was caused by the mine collapse itself.

Murray's also been running a non-union operation, using cheap immigrant labor, and battling unionization. And he doesn't believe in this man-made global warming stuff, either, as CNN helped him express:
MURRAY: I would describe Al Gore as the shaman of global goofiness and gloom and doom.
Murray even testified to the Senate along these lines:
"The science of global warming is suspect," Murray told the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works in June.

"Climate change or the so-called global warming issue is a human one," he said. "Reducing carbon emissions will impact our poorest families worst. All you are doing with this Draconian legislation is destroying American families' standard of living, their ability to have jobs, and export jobs to China."
At that Senate hearing, Murray got into a heated exchange with Barbara Boxer.
When Murray testified before the Senate committee on Environment and Public Works on June 28, Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., questioned his mine safety record.

Murray responded: "You're flat-out wrong. That information came from your friends at the United Mine Workers and the union. It is not fair."
Immediately after that exchange, Boxer spoke to reporters:
"Instead of actively fighting those working for cleaner coal, the one thing Murray should now focus on is workers' safety. That should be his only priority," Boxer told ABCNEWS.com.
Prescient words, Senator.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/09/2007 20:41:14

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  20:43:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an immoral sociopath--for him, the truth is whatever makes him the most money.

Thanks for the summary, Mooner.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/09/2007 20:43:55
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2007 :  20:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

What an immoral sociopath--for him, the truth is whatever makes him the most money.

Thanks for the summary, Mooner.

Thanks for the feedback. I consider the bastard one of my "Sly Manipulators." The worst kind of liar, at the top of the food chain. Murray's a former miner himself, so he certainly knows he's lying.

Another point: Murray should NOT be in charge of the rescue effort!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/09/2007 20:56:54
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  03:45:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vote Union!

In the past, strong unions were the only thing that kept these murderous assholes in check, particularly in the mines.

The latest news is that they have drilled into the chamber where the miners are thought to be trapped, but hear no signs of life.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  04:49:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree about unions. Nobody else would look out for those poor folks.

Sad about the silence found in the bore hole. At least the air tested good. Could be the bore came out in a separate pocket from where the miners are. Let's hope so, but I have a bad feeling about this.

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  08:40:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Half. This is the 21st Century and we're still talking about miners trapped with mines every year or so?

I think it's fine to point out the fault of individuals, but it seems we have a sociopathic system that continues to allow some of these things.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  15:08:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Thanks Half. This is the 21st Century and we're still talking about miners trapped with mines every year or so?

I think it's fine to point out the fault of individuals, but it seems we have a sociopathic system that continues to allow some of these things.
Thanks to the comments, Gorgo.

I agree about the problem being systematic. Somehow many countries seem to come up with the same kind of avoidable mine disasters (I suspect the Utah disaster was avoidable), always driven by greed or otherwise putting production over the lives of miners.

Societies are made up of people. Showing how people, especially the elites who have the most clout, contribute to the death toll seems relevant. Especially as Murray worked so hard and publicly against mine safety, and remains on the Board of Directors of the powerful National Mining Association.

More about Murray:
The Murray Energy Corp. Political Action Committee has given more than $155,000 to Republican candidates, including $30,000 to the National Republican Senatorial Committee, since 2005, according to Federal Election Commission records.

The committee donated to Republican Senate candidates such as George Allen in Virginia, now presidential candidate Sam Brownback of Kansas and Katherine Harris of Florida. It also gave to Ohio Republican Reps. Deborah Pryce and Patrick Tiberi, and Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich. The committee did not give to any Democrats during the same period, FEC records show.

In 2004, Murray gave $15,000 of his own money to the NRSC, and he gave $10,000 in 2006. Among other donations in the last election cycle, he gave $2,000 to Ohio Republican Sen. Mike DeWine's unsuccessful re-election campaign.

. . .

The companies controlled by Murray Energy include The Ohio Valley Coal Co.'s Powhatan No. 6 mine in Ohio. The Ohio Valley Coal PAC also gave thousands of dollars to Republican causes, including $10,000 for Bush-Cheney election in 2000.
[My emphasis.]

The rough side of institutionalized greed isn't just what some blind machine of capitalism does, it's the deliberate, individual and collective acts of greedy men and women, including the corrupt (in this case, all Republican) politicians who feed off their table scraps.

And, meanwhile, three more people died in an Indiana coal mine just today.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/10/2007 15:36:48
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  21:45:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Murray guy makes me sick. Almost every claim I've seen him make in defense of himself and his operations have been refuted. He looks so concerned on TV, so worried about his employees. Watch him ask for the government to pay for his lame rescue effort.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  21:46:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had written above, "Another point: Murray should NOT be in charge of the rescue effort!"

Now one rescue miner has died, and another eight have been injured. The camera-hogging Murray isn't exactly the "go-to guy" when it comes to mine safety, and should not be allowed anywhere near this mine.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/16/2007 21:47:20
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2007 :  21:52:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's no need to risk lives to recover the bodies.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  00:37:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now there are a total of three dead rescue miners, and six others injured. Someone please shove Murray down the nine-inch bore, before he gets even more miners killed.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/17/2007 01:10:57
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  02:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here I was, saying mine owner Robert Murray should not be in charge of the (disasterous and now all but abandoned) mine rescue. I should be careful what I wish for...

Because the guy that Bush appointed as his "Mine and Health Safety Administrator," is Richard Stickler. A "stickler" he's never been for safe mines. This guy's now taken over the rescue effort.

Stickler, Dick.

Senator Jay Rockefeller said in 2005 of Stickler, "... his mines had a rate of preventable accidents that were 3 times the national average."

Stickler is a mine industry insider who had an especially bad record of getting miners killed:
Stickler used to be a mining executive who - according to various media reports - ran mines which had several fatalities and "...an incident rate that was often twice the national average."
Stickler's rocky road to appointment
"Others were irate that [mine owner Bob] Murray was allowed to publicly predict success and contradict MSHA itself while agency officials quietly looked on." -ABC News
Also coming to light, is the fact that Stickler's nomination to head the mine administration was twice rejected by congress and rejected when republicans were still in charge.
Rejected reportedly by senators who were concerned about Stickler's safety record when he operated mines.
After his nomination was twice rejected by the Senate, President Bush gave Richard Stickler the mine safety job with a recess appointment.
That's a presidential appointment made when congress is not in session.
A fox, guarding the chicken coop, and a particularly rabid fox, at that.

We need angry villagers. With torches. And pitchforks.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/21/2007 03:12:56
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  03:34:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

There's no need to risk lives to recover the bodies.

@

About time I applauded that prescient thought.

Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  09:22:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about time that the Congress grow a few and take back the power they gave to the Presidency.
I was reading up on the recess appointment powers of the Presidency and the advice and consent duties of the Congress. Recess appointment was to fill a positions that were left open when the congress was in recess. Not to subvert the Senate's Advice and Consent.

Granted every President will put in people in line with His/or soon to be Her's political ideology. But there should also be a degree of competence. With Advice and Consent, it looks like the President was supposed to work with the Congress to find the best candidate.

This appointment of Stickler was just cronyism.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  20:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree completely, Rubicon.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2007 :  12:43:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time to bump this baby. The (Federal) Mine Safety and Health Administration is holding secret hearings on the disasters at the Crandall Canyon Mine.

Since the MSHA was itself a large part of the disaster, they naturally want to keep this one in the family, with no prying reporters (or mine union representatives) allowed in. News organizations are suing for access.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/02/2007 15:19:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds.