New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  16:46:30  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not sure if this should be in the humor section or not.

I got a laugh.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell

Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/22/2007 16:47:44

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  16:59:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Edited by - JEROME DA GNOME on 09/23/2007 06:01:53
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  17:16:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It brings up some interesting questions.

Back in the day, many of our industrialists were pretty tight with Hitler, notably Henry Ford & Prescott Bush, the grandaddy of our current, alledged president.

But should he be allowed to speak to the students at a university? I say yes. I think that students should be exposed to the foul as well as the fair. That way, they'll know what to look for and their instructors can reenforce the lesson.

I feel the same about ID, or rather, the controversy . It is so flimsey that any science teacher worth his/her chalk allotment should be able to shread it into ridicule in less than an hour.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2007 :  19:38:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old adage that unpopular speech (like much of Hitler's) should be countered with more speech, and not squashed, has some validity here.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  03:50:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, let this hypothetical surviving Hitler speak. And then arrest him for his war crimes.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 09/23/2007 03:50:47
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  04:13:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

I got a laugh.

What did you find funny?

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  06:45:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fuck him. He should be permitted to go to arrive at the airport, go to the UN and go the fuck home. No courtesy need be extended this piece of shit.

If they want a conference, then tele-confrence.

I don't say this often, but I truely and deeply hope someone pops a cap in his fuckin head... right between the yes.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  12:29:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Original_Intent

Fuck him. He should be permitted to go to arrive at the airport, go to the UN and go the fuck home. No courtesy need be extended this piece of shit.

I don't say this often, but I truely and deeply hope someone pops a cap in his fuckin head... right between the yes.
Ehh... Whom were you referring to?
Hitler, Henry Ford, Prescott Bush, or George W. Bush?

As far as I know, only one is live enough for someone to casually pop between the yes.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  17:35:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It brings up some interesting questions.

Back in the day, many of our industrialists were pretty tight with Hitler, notably Henry Ford & Prescott Bush, the grandaddy of our current, alledged president.

I agree this would be an interesting topic.

But should he be allowed to speak to the students at a university? I say yes. I think that students should be exposed to the foul as well as the fair. That way, they'll know what to look for and their instructors can reenforce the lesson.

100% agreed. Yet, the time availably has constraints. Who and how is it decided who gets that time.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  17:36:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

I got a laugh.

What did you find funny?

The deans answer seemed buffoonish.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  17:39:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why exactly do you explode with such vitriol concerning this man?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  17:42:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

As far as I know, only one is live enough for someone to casually pop between the yes.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  02:49:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Oh... Ok, from the link.

Just watched the video, and FOR F*CK'S SAKE!!!! It's FOX NEWS!
What the hell did you expect from them? Jerome... Anything Faux News puts out is neo-con propaganda. And any reaction of outrage about the dean's comments were meant to be provoked by FOX.
The reason you should have put it in the humour section is that the entire "story" is from Fox. We may have our difference of opinion, Jerome, but this time you really disappointed me.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/24/2007 02:56:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  03:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Erm, this one?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote

To correct my post, which was aimed at the Iranian President, and it was between the eyes.

I refuse to hope someone assassinates a duly elected offical of the United States (no matter how treasonous/scumbag acting), as he serves as the choice of the people.

The country will always have the government it desrerves.

Aidding and abetting the enemy should always be dealt with with lead.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:38:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A decade ago the american people didnīt know Iran existed (except for a small elite). Today iran is the wolfman, dracula and the devil altogether. Go figure!

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.