Second Life bank panic triggered by gambling ban
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  04:07:32  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some people have lost real money in the virtual world of Second Life.

Here's how Australia's "The Age" tells the tale:
The biggest bank in the virtual world of Second Life has closed its doors after a run on its deposits, putting at risk hundred of thousands of real dollars of savings and investments.

On Thursday, Ginko Financial - which is owned by Brazilian from Sao Paulo whose real name is Andre Sanchez - stopped accepting deposits, froze all withdrawals and converted account holders' balances into "tradeable debt securities" called Ginko Perpetual Bonds.
Damn! I had all my Lindens saved there, so now I can't afford to have my virtual ashes hauled by ladies of dubious virtue in a house of virtual ill repute!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't that the guy who was robbed a while back? But got away?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  16:11:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could understand this whole "Second Life" thing - I cannot find anything appealing about it (and yes I did download it and install some months ago.)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  16:51:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I wish I could understand this whole "Second Life" thing - I cannot find anything appealing about it (and yes I did download it and install some months ago.)
I, too, tried. Second Life is far more "hip" than it is fun, IMO. And hip fades fast.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  17:59:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wired has a decent, if short, story on it this month.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  03:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Link to article
The article doesn't mention neither the name of the man, nor specifically Second Life.
But a hundred thousand dollar seems like a good reason to rob someone, and if I had an account worth that much, I wouldn't tell the press about it.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  06:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Link to article
The article doesn't mention neither the name of the man, nor specifically Second Life.
But a hundred thousand dollar seems like a good reason to rob someone, and if I had an account worth that much, I wouldn't tell the press about it.

That guy played GunBound.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  15:43:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it could be the same guy.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.