Video of astronaut Lisa Nowak in holding cell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  04:19:31  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has got to be one of the saddest displays I've seen by someone who has totally lost it. The woman's incoherent at times.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  06:42:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now, there is an appalling invasion of privacy. Maybe it's me but I don't understand the news value of that video…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  06:53:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Well now, there is an appalling invasion of privacy. Maybe it's me but I don't understand the news value of that video…
I agree. Good thing we didn't watch it, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  07:18:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

What's value have to do with the news?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  08:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would the police release such a video?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:39:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If she had been a prisoner of war, I believe this would have been a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:40:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The only reasons I can think of is:
1) They are assholes.
2) Someone get a lot of cash for it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  15:55:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is actually the case, but it's possible that the police were required by regulations or law to release the video. News outfits do a great deal of legal work to assure their access to "public records" of every kind.

But if they weren't forced it release it, they were assholes.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  16:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I have to agree. There's nothing there I need to know.

Originally posted by Dave W

That's what I was wondering. It's shameful.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2007 :  18:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I admit I don't know whether or not there is some legal reason that it's public ally available.

That notwithstanding, I hope someone(s) at Orlando Police and/or WESH-2 are getting their butts seriously kicked.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

maledoro
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  09:18:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit maledoro's Homepage Send maledoro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember a time when astronauts were my heroes, and not drunks or diaper-wearing weirdos.

"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."

-John Cale
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  14:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by maledoro

I remember a time when astronauts were my heroes, and not drunks or diaper-wearing weirdos.

How do you know none of your heroes were drunken, diaper-wearing weirdos?

Actually, although I understand the general fascination with the diaper business, I don't find it all that incomprehensible. I would assume that part of an astronaut's training involves their becoming accustomed to long periods confined to a flight suit, without access to conventional facilities.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page

maledoro
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  03:56:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit maledoro's Homepage Send maledoro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal
How do you know none of your heroes were drunken, diaper-wearing weirdos?

Actually, although I understand the general fascination with the diaper business, I don't find it all that incomprehensible. I would assume that part of an astronaut's training involves their becoming accustomed to long periods confined to a flight suit, without access to conventional facilities.

Because none of my heroes drove cross country to stalk someone or showed up for work bombed out of their minds.

And, yes, I'm aware of the fact that the astronauts had to go in their suits. But that doesn't apply to those who are off-duty and stalking sexual rivals.

"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."

-John Cale
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  13:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That video fills my heart with compassion. Apparently she does not seem like an evil person, just very troubled and confused.

The only sadder thing of it´s kind is this photo of a woman in an Argentinan jail. I don´t know what crime she was accused of, or if she´s guilty or innocent, however, the image of her locked-up and reading a children´s book (she´s either learning to read or the book reminds her of her kids, maybe?) also fills my heart with compassion. It is indeed very sad.

[

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.