New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  16:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the different avatars was going to far. Like I said "off the top of my head".

Expand your reach into the internet. Try to take interest in topics you have had only mild interest in before.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  18:35:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome, there is no doubt whatsoever that what you suggested is dishonest. It is spam to go around and try to advertise your art in such a way as you suggested. What you actually do is of no importance. Your intent, which is purely to advertise, is wrong. In this case, which I find quite hilarious, the means do not justify the ends.

Marf, I wouldn't even begin to argue about how it would not be a good method of selling paintings. What you said was entirely right in my opinion, but as soon as something is found to be dishonest, it should really not be given any more thought. To make an exaggerated comparison, it's like saying we shouldn't shoot people because bullets cost money.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/25/2007 18:35:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  21:03:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

But seriously... does anybody have any ideas how to market? I really really need to earn more money.

Yes! Learn from Stuart Pivar, who himself learned self-promotion tricks from his friend, Andy Warhol, and then added his own nastier tricks.

Sue anyone who criticizes your art!

Okay, perhaps getting everyone to call you a crackpot in itself might not tend to distinguish you from artists in general. And I suppose that spending additional tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees might seem like throwing good money after art supplies money, but hey. At least people would know of your work.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/25/2007 21:11:26
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  11:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ricky, thanks for your comments. I have absolutely no intention to go about my marketing in a dishonest manner. I certainly do not mind putting myself out there, such as I've done here on SFN. But I've been on this forum for over 2 years and you guys know I'm not here to sell stuff, I'm here 'cause I enjoy being part of this online community.

Jerome, there is an additional concern with your suggestion. It takes time to read what is on various online venues, and a lot more time to really digest and consider what's been read, and then write a response which is thought provoking. And what would be the payback for such a huge time investment? So far I've spammed all my family, friends, and online buddies, and so far I've sold nothing. And these are people who know and like me. I'd have to attract the attention of one hell of a lot of strangers just to break even. This seems quite a naive and foolish way of going about it.

The only reason I'm picking on you, Jerome, is because in chat you acted as if this were something anyone could do if they were confident and persistent. But it is my belief that marketing is itself a talent that some people are naturally far more adept at than others. It is also a skill that anyone could at least develop to a degree, but like any skill, it takes time, practice, and know-how.

Why people buy art is especially hard to figure out. Spam (which is basically what you've suggested) only works and persists because spammers hit so many people that it actually has a bit of a payback worthwhile enough. But at the cost of the annoyance and resentment of so many people who didn't appreciate being randomly targeted for solicitation. This seems quite a horrible way to go about selling original works of fine art that aren't exactly cheap and usually aren't an impulse buy.

I'm realizing that I need to narrow my target audience. I'm thinking of dropping off fancy-looking business cards at coffee houses and galleries all over town for a start. Another big time investment with no promise of any kind of payback, but what else can I do? I really hate being so well suited for making art and ill suited for selling things. Me and a million of other artists.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  11:23:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea would be to place your art in places such as cafes and coffee houses for display. I have a friend with a cafe/bakery that hangs local artists works throughout his place of business; good for him because he does not have to pay for decoration, good for the artist because they are getting free advertising. Place a small card on the corner with your contact info.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  21:21:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome wrote:
Another idea would be to place your art in places such as cafes and coffee houses for display. I have a friend with a cafe/bakery that hangs local artists works throughout his place of business; good for him because he does not have to pay for decoration, good for the artist because they are getting free advertising. Place a small card on the corner with your contact info.
I have been showing work in hair salons, cafes, and coffee houses since 1998. In all that time I sold one painting (for barely above cost) and gained a small commission from such a show.

A few years ago in Columbus I attempted to make money doing commissioned portraiture. I created a full color trifold pamphlet and distributed it in coffee houses in posh neighborhoods where cultured people with money tended to hang out. The only work I got was a couple of coworkers, who couldn't afford anything big.

I also attempted to sell my work by renting a booth at a very busy flea market in Ohio about 11 years ago, selling small cheap prints of ink drawings, hand-painted pillows, and commissioned house portraiture. I ended up losing $200.00 on my investment.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  00:56:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really like to help with good ideas, but I have none. I had a friend in my brief college days who was a sculptor. He couldn't sell any of his serious stuff, but made a decent living making knick-knacks, such as "old prospector" coffee cups and a whole line of similar, stamped-out touristy stuff. He was philosophical about it, and considered it just a price he had to pay to support his real art.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/27/2007 00:59:06
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  07:56:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half wrote:
I'd really like to help with good ideas, but I have none.
But you did just contribute to the pile of ideas by telling what your sculptor friend did. I'm thinking about something similar myself - making cards and stickers and such. Although I'm going to make things that are fun to make, and honestly, I prefer to take Thai mindset to my art (In Thai, something being "serious" is a bad thing.) I'm not always thrilled with the hierarchy set in art world today where there are clear dividers between "high brow", "medium brow" and "low brow" art. It could be fun to really dance all over those lines with my own work. Thanks.

Edited by - marfknox on 08/27/2007 07:56:43
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  12:34:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the man who cleaned up the poop after the circus elephants said when asked how he liked his job, "Well, at least it's show business." And you don't quite have to do his kind of job.

My sculptor friend made the best damned cheap touristy knick-knacks I'd seen. You might want to consider making more of those wonderfully hilarious stuffed animals. Even get them manufactured somewhere. (Start a Stuffed Animal Liberation Front for publicity? Starting a Web site to promote them can be cheap. If you need some silly writing, I can do silly, for free.) Those are, I think, better than you may think, and would be prized by both kids and adults.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your dancing on those lines!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/27/2007 12:35:28
Go to Top of Page

1amY41think

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send 1amY41think a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello marfknox.

I have just registered on this site tonight, (just so you don't wonder who I am).

I had a look at your artwork and although I wasn't compelled to buy any of it (sorry, being poor doesn't help) I did like what you have done.
Must stress I am no art critic at all, simply my opinion.
I have been involved in sales or my own business (same thing) most of my life.

I found your view from the tub to be very interesting.
I would say that what you have is quite marketable, just needs the right age and interest group.
I would consider emphasizing the aspect of "a good investment" until you develop the following and the cred that will surely come in time.
It is an Artist's dream to sell to art lovers, who are simply blown away by your art.
I think you will sell a 'lot' more to people who think they are getting a great investment.

Perhaps I am a skeptic, I'm not sure.
A cynic even, is that similar or not?

Although I am not a buyer of art for investment, I gave far more serious consideration to purchasing one of your's after seeing your response to Jerome.
If they were more expensive, I would have been more tempted. (strange isn't it)
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to increase the price of a few of them X about 3 - 500%.
Even if you don't sell one of these, they will make the others appear an even better investment.

I believe your obviously strong integrity will see you succeed.

Wishing you the very best of luck, bruce.
(I hope my injecting a comment on your thread is not out of order - finding my feet)
Go to Top of Page

1amY41think

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  03:18:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send 1amY41think a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi! Jerome,
While I agree with the other posters' thoughts about your suggestions, I was impressed that you didn't become defensive or angry about them.
I have come from a forum where this would rarely happen and find it very refreshing.
Hope I can fit in and enjoy lot's of humour and good conversation on this site.
Cheers for now,
bruce (you people will talk to aussies won't you?)
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  09:40:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we're on the subject, I feel that your best bet for a target audience is the cat lovers sect, If you could manage to get a link or two on some of the larger cat lovers sites, you might do well. I also agree on raising some of your prices, better to sell only one at 500$ than only one at 100$. I think if you regularly make threads on cat lovers forums you just might drum up some numbers, good luck.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Yojimbo99

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  09:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Yojimbo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you need deep bleeding-heart pockets, I would try upping the prices and doing as Jerome stated and place some odd numbers around, then trying to contact a few chartiable organizations or something like the humane society and donate part of your procedes, and base you advertisement on that.

As long as you truely are donating part of the money back and believe in the charity I think it would be win-win. People from Wallstreet to the trailer park willing give to help out animals.

It's not so much wanting to die, but controlling that moment, choosing your own way. - GG Allin
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  09:54:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1amY41think, thank you for your encouragement and advice. Actually, my prices used to be much much higher. When I exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy, they were about 4 times higher than on my Etsy Store. At that show I sold one piece, which is rather pathetic considering that a few of my classmates sold out, and this was the most attended art opening in all of Philadelphia - an annual event that many rich art-lovers associated with the Academy come with their wallet open, ready to shop. My guess is that my work didn't appeal to them because it was prints - which are regarded as less than paintings to those kind of art lovers, and because they were of a more youthful, colorful style - which turns off people who prefer more traditional still life, landscapes, and figures. But I had many younger people and peers who loved my work and simply couldn't afford it. I even had one woman who offered to pay over time, and it took her a year to pay for a $300. print! I'm actually taking a strategy now of lowering my prices so that people with less income can afford my work.

I think at this point in my career it would be disingenuous to market it by saying it is a "good investment", first because I'm not sure that it is, and second because that's not at all why I want people to buy my art. Basically, with my prints, I just want people to buy something because they are excited by the image and want to put it in their house.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  20:56:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

1amY41think, thank you for your encouragement and advice. Actually, my prices used to be much much higher. When I exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy, they were about 4 times higher than on my Etsy Store. At that show I sold one piece, which is rather pathetic considering that a few of my classmates sold out, and this was the most attended art opening in all of Philadelphia - an annual event that many rich art-lovers associated with the Academy come with their wallet open, ready to shop. My guess is that my work didn't appeal to them because it was prints - which are regarded as less than paintings to those kind of art lovers, and because they were of a more youthful, colorful style - which turns off people who prefer more traditional still life, landscapes, and figures. But I had many younger people and peers who loved my work and simply couldn't afford it. I even had one woman who offered to pay over time, and it took her a year to pay for a $300. print! I'm actually taking a strategy now of lowering my prices so that people with less income can afford my work.

I think at this point in my career it would be disingenuous to market it by saying it is a "good investment", first because I'm not sure that it is, and second because that's not at all why I want people to buy my art. Basically, with my prints, I just want people to buy something because they are excited by the image and want to put it in their house.

OK, $.02 worth ($.03 Canadian).

Go for the odd numbers like Jerome suggested. It suggests a bargain.

Also, market them as conversation starter pieces. They already are thought provoking. Go with that angle. The trick is to find a niche. The hair salon idea was a good one, but I'm not sure your art is reaching an appropriate audience there.

Advertise honestly and it will pay dividends later.

Business cards. Imprinted with the website to your art. You can hand them out to people or put them on your display pieces (or even in the establishments you are displaying in if they are amenable to it).

Gladhand and make rounds in the art community while passing out your card.

I know some of these work for politicians, I don't see how art is any different. (With the obvious exception that art doesn't declare war or raise taxes.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.