Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  13:28:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
From the reviews I've just finished reading, this thing must be a real puker.

Here is a linked list of them including Fox's.
The National Center for Science Education will be posting our full response to the Ben Stein movie Expelled on this site on April 15; for now, we hope you will find this collection of resources helpful.

Reviews of Expelled from those who have seen it:

Oddly enough, I found it in one of Denyse's breathless hiccups at UcD. It was in a link in this sentence:
Is this their idea of an attack site?
the word 'this' being the active one.

I'm sure that there must be a decent review of it somewhere, but I've yet to see it nor even hear of it. If there should be one, I'm sure it'll go up in banner headlines Unbridled Deceit.

I do not believe that this thing will accomplish anything beyond making the already-convinced even more convinceded, if that's a word. I think that it will more likely sway the fence-sitters toward the side of science than that of ungrounded speculation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  14:48:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
HH said:
Right. That wasn't really the compelling part. What about the photo of the dog?

None of the links I clicked went to a photo of the dog.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  14:52:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Originally posted by Dude

HH said:
Right. That wasn't really the compelling part. What about the photo of the dog?

None of the links I clicked went to a photo of the dog.
Hmm. They look fine on my screen. Here's the links again:
http://tinyurl.com/3v9ljd

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1369/dawkdogis9.jpg

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:11:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Ok, the dog pics do look like the same dog.

But this animator is a guy who has possibly disassociated himself from Premise Media because of the plagiarism. So if he IS responsible for some portion of the video, maybe he isn't premise media friendly?

Or, alternately (and more likely in IMO), randomslice (youtube ID) knows that Edmonson worked for premise media, went through his doggie pics and selected one to "kick".

There isn't enough data to make a determination.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Dave_W said:
I've had my suspicions all along, but this new evidence finally confirms it beyond all question: Dude is Kirstie Alley.

Hey! I've been fat.... but never THAT fat!

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  16:16:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Eh, don't worry about it, Dude. Sally Struthers too, and sadly, has either transformed or disappeared into a hippopotomus as well.

I got my copy of Judgment Day in and just finished watching it. It is even better than I remembered.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  20:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
meh.. I'm pretty much back on the wagon now. Last go round was a bad back injury that left me with more than my fair share of beergut. Back in the 250lb range now (252 yesterday), if I stay on track I'll be 225-230ish by july. (topped out at 315lb last august). At 230 I am usually in pretty good shape (14% bodyfat). 28% now, but have only been able to get in cardio excercise for the last 8 weeks. Couldn't do it before that. Let all my gym memberships lapse last year also. May consider trying to go lighter than 225, depends on how the back feels in the 225-230 range.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  01:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

meh.. I'm pretty much back on the wagon now. Last go round was a bad back injury that left me with more than my fair share of beergut. Back in the 250lb range now (252 yesterday), if I stay on track I'll be 225-230ish by july. (topped out at 315lb last august). At 230 I am usually in pretty good shape (14% bodyfat). 28% now, but have only been able to get in cardio excercise for the last 8 weeks. Couldn't do it before that. Let all my gym memberships lapse last year also. May consider trying to go lighter than 225, depends on how the back feels in the 225-230 range.

With that spine business, the lighter the better. I've had two fusions for an old injury and have learned the hard way. I too, am currently working back down, although starting from not quite as far.

See that Dembski, you half-assed moron? There's your 'designer' in action, and face it, any decent Mechanical Engineering student could have designed a better spinal column for a biped. It's a pity that we're not more closely related to the dromaosaurs -- birds seem to have their spines pretty much right. Either evolution or a pathetically incompetent drunk gave us a quadruped's.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/13/2008 01:46:53
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  03:44:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
DaveScot, again, not to be confused with our Bill, whom I for one, find refreshing, is a deluded man, conceivably hooked on crack, and quite possibly manic-depressive, if I might be permitted a little evidence-supported ad hom.
Back At Special Agent ERV's Blog…
DaveScot
DMS, with an as yet undetermined appendage writes:

Might I suggest that “someone” (perhaps a group effort) work up a brief flyer to hand out to people going to see Expelled. It should be non-snarky, non-confrontational, with some simple points and web addresses to go to for more information

Great idea! I think they should shave their heads, wear togas, and chant ziiiiiiii-enzzzzzz ziiiiii-enzzzzz ziiiiii-enzzzzz. People will wonder if the Hare Krishnas are making a comeback and be naturally curious.

Now boys and girls at Ms. ERV's website please, no applause for this awesome marketing strategy. Just send me money to show your appreciation. Y'all have paypal, right? Of course you do.
How droll! But this wit & wisdom pales before that of some who replied to his nonsense.

It's funny, really; since Kitzmiller they seen to be getting less & less coherent. And now that some other than favorable write-ups (other than those of Dawkins, et al.) are appearing, it's beginning to look like they're whistling past the graveyard.

People hand out fliers all the time and nobody is ever forced to accept one. I almost never do and have only had a problem once, from, you almost guessed it, some overly persistent fellow shilling for a itinerant tent revival.

I think that there might be some small hazard involved in papering the ID fans. A lot of them seem to be religiously off their hinges and broken mandibles hurt! And the cops take a dim view of flying fists other than their own. Something to keep in mind during these sorts of activities.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  05:39:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
With that spine business, the lighter the better. I've had two fusions for an old injury and have learned the hard way. I too, am currently working back down, although starting from not quite as far.

No disc problems, mine is cartilage damage in the illio-sacral joint (base of the spine and illiac of the pelvis meet in a tiny joint). That sucker can cause incapacitating pain. Worse than being shot(literally, ate a ricochet in the calf once).

So yeah, the lighter the better has been the rule for a bit now. At 215 I'd probably be less than 10% bodyfat, but I've never been able to stay that lean (been there a couple of times). Have to worry about it when I get back to the 230 mark! Hell, a year ago I didn't think this stupid joint would ever heal enough to let me do real excercise again, but its now looking like it may.

Either evolution or a pathetically incompetent drunk gave us a quadruped's.

Yep! Sucks don't it?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  05:50:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Before the fall, we crawled on all fours sharing coconuts with the velociraptors. After Eve screwed everyone, we were cursed to walk on 2 legs while running away from the velociraptors. It's easy when you think about it.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  06:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

No disc problems, mine is cartilage damage in the illio-sacral joint (base of the spine and illiac of the pelvis meet in a tiny joint). That sucker can cause incapacitating pain. Worse than being shot(literally, ate a ricochet in the calf once).

So yeah, the lighter the better has been the rule for a bit now. At 215 I'd probably be less than 10% bodyfat, but I've never been able to stay that lean (been there a couple of times). Have to worry about it when I get back to the 230 mark! Hell, a year ago I didn't think this stupid joint would ever heal enough to let me do real excercise again, but its now looking like it may.

Either evolution or a pathetically incompetent drunk gave us a quadruped's.

Yep! Sucks don't it?

Mine first got messed up in a shipboard accident in the late '50s, along with my right knee, then again when kicked by a horse in the '70s. I've got a couple of rods in there now. It do indeed, suck, but I'm a little smarter these days.

Heh, neat picture, pleco: "Suffer the children to come unto me...."

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/14/2008 02:37:17
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  00:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Now it's been revealed by John M. Lynch that Maciej Giertych, a Polish scientist/politician, who is also a degenerate antisemite, was interviewed by Ben Stein in "Expelled." Of course, no mention of his antisemitism is in the clip, in which he presents the standard Creo lie that no mutations are beneficial.

Giertych has said of Jews:
In our civilisation, a righteous person living honestly will not get in conflict with the law, even not knowing it. On the other hand, living in agreement with the letter of the law but dishonestly, derives from the pharisaic attachment to rules but not to ethics. The exploitation of rules, of imprecisely written laws, of gaps in them, of their multitude and inconsistencies, activities on the verge of legality, tax evasion techniques, all formally within the law but unethical, derive from the rabbinical casuistry, from the mentality of deriving ethics from the written law. Yet, such a swindler, acting within the law, has in fact no moral respect for any law. He cannot be compared to the Sabbath traveller sitting on a water bottle, who is also using a convenient interpretation of the Law, but he is doing this in order to fulfil the Law and therefore in full respect for it.
I wonder: did Ben Stein also question Giertych about Darwin being the instigator of antisemitism? If so, they may have had to cut that segment out of the movie, as being too "confusing."

So in Expelled, we have Ben Stein falsely blaming Darwin for the Holocaust, then sitting down for a friendly chat with a real Jew-hater. "Strange bedfellows" hardly even begins to describe this. I hope B'nai B'rith hears of this.

The Expelled people, including Ben Stein, who claims to be a Jew, are trivializing the Holocaust by the dishonest, unhistorical claim that the Theory of Evolution was its required prerequisite. That's revisionist antisemitism of a not very subtle stripe. And these same people work with at least one outright Jew-baiter to make their points.

If you ever see Expelled, remember when you see the concentration camp sequences that it was religiously-indoctrinated, ideological bigots much akin to the makers of this movie who operated those camps, not evolutionary biologists.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/14/2008 02:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Salt Lake Tribune: Movies: Hiding 'Expelled' from critics a not-so-intelligent move.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:48:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed - Scientific American's Take. This points to three pieces, by Michael Shermer, Steve Mirsky and John Rennie.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds.