Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:04:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Starman

Review from FauxNews.com
Scroll down!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,348468,00.html
"Expelled" is a sloppy, all-over-the-place, poorly made (and not just a little boring) "expose" of the scientific community. It's not very exciting. But it does show that Stein, who's carved out a career selling eye drops in commercials and amusing us on sitcoms, is either completely nuts or so avaricious that he's abandoned all good sense to make a buck.

Wow! I thought I might be hallucinating this. The Fox reviewer panned the movie, panned Ben Stein, and also showed the producers cowardice by opening their dreck mainly in rural areas and bible belt states.

Not getting a favorable review from Fox must be a serious blow to the producers of Expelled.

I wonder if that reviewer will still be working for Fox tomorrow?
Gonna lay it on us iggnerent rednecks first, eh? Excellent! That means that I'm likely not going to have to spend a dime to see, or at least get a pretty accurate report on it. Lovely! A nearby church (Southern Baptist) will doubtless get a copy and I am acquainted with much of the congregation as well as the Pastor. When I give to disaster victims such as the recent tsunami survivors, I do most of it through them. I'll drop a hint (which will fool no one) and they might invite me to a showing. They'll certainly tell me all about it.

The Fox review might be telling in still another way. This might be such a shitty production that he had no choice, if the credibility, such as it is, of the company is to be maintained. Hell Kil, that flick might be so bad that he got an Attaboy and a raise out of it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  12:24:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Nary a peep on the review at UcD yet; only this; <shrug> something to do with one David Berlinski being a true Rennasance man.

They're gonna have to comment on it soon, aren't they? To not do so would further compromise their position, wouldn't it?

I dunno; maybe not...

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/09/2008 12:29:52
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  00:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Oooooops!

Expelled receives a cease-and-desist letter(pdf).
This letter will constitute notice to you, as Chairman of Premise Media Corporation, of the copyright infringement by your corporation, and its subsidiary, Rampant Films, of material produced by XVIVO LLC, in which XVIVO holds a copyright.

ERV : EXPELLED: EXPELLED for plagiarism
The Austringer : OK, Expelled… But Plagiarism Will Do That For You

[Edit: added link to pdf]

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 04/10/2008 01:10:52
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  05:28:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Expelled: the gift that keeps on giving

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
By the Savior's Sacred Sac, have these dolts no competence at all? I've seen better organization running around headless in the barnyard, to plagiarize Blackadder, who plagiarized it from someone else.

It is going to be fun watching this play out and to read the all but incoherent howls of 'Darwinist prejudice' and it's accompanying hand-waving.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Here's some more on it from The Panda's Thumb -- sounds of crickets from UcD, crickets with laryngitis.

Edit: I am beginning to seriously doubt that Expelled will ever see the light of day, as are some other Thumbers.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/10/2008 08:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:34:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
So, they attempted an end run around the plagiarism issue by making their own version/copy of the video in question. Did they really think no one would notice?

You know, on some level you got to love these guys. I'm starting to wonder if the producers of Expelled are double agents...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

Here's some more on it from The Panda's Thumb -- sounds of crickets from UcD, crickets with laryngitis.

Edit: I am beginning to seriously doubt that Expelled will ever see the light of day, as are some other Thumbers.

If so, the Creationists will add Expelled to their mythological lore-list of "Darwinist" suppressions, leaving out the parts about plagiarism, interviews under false pretenses, etc, etc.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Filthy.....

Brother snapper, you are truly a treasure! "The Savior's Sacred Sac" is the best bon mot I've run across in many a day! I am appropriating it as of right now, I intend to shamelessly plagiarize it and (as soon as people forget,) claim it as my own!

Filth, you are one of the very few people on this forum of whom I am jealous! Quickest quill in the quiver! A beautiful alliterative fundie put-down, Filth!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  08:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Allen MacNeill notified UD yesterday within a pre-existing thread, and they're all a-squawk over it. jstanley clearly doesn't understand "fair use."

(And TroutMac, glory be, clearly suggests that disagreement with ID means that you deny the possibility of a transcendant God, and gets smacked for being such a bigot.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:09:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by bngbuck

Filthy.....

Brother snapper, you are truly a treasure! "The Savior's Sacred Sac" is the best bon mot I've run across in many a day! I am appropriating it as of right now, I intend to shamelessly plagiarize it and (as soon as people forget,) claim it as my own!

Filth, you are one of the very few people on this forum of whom I am jealous! Quickest quill in the quiver! A beautiful alliterative fundie put-down, Filth!
Da nada, old friend. 'Tis yours for the taking.

Besides, I've been literate (read: Bookworm!) almost as long as you have and probably stole it from someone else, just don't remember where nor even doing so.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  09:25:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

Allen MacNeill notified UD yesterday within a pre-existing thread, and they're all a-squawk over it. jstanley clearly doesn't understand "fair use."

(And TroutMac, glory be, clearly suggests that disagreement with ID means that you deny the possibility of a transcendant God, and gets smacked for being such a bigot.)
Dave, I've got to admire your patience. I have been described as having the patience of a corpse, but not even I could follow the torturous (il)logic wending it's fractured way through all of the threads at Uncaluated Descent for more than a few posts.

Heh, I wonder how long some of, or any of, those turkeys would last in here. Not very, methinks.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:25:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
It's not my patience, filthy. All credit for finding that must go to the fine folks over at After the Bar Closes who keep an eye on UD so we don't have to.

(They also happen to be discussing motorcycles right now, 'cause Gil rides a Harley.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  11:42:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

It's not my patience, filthy. All credit for finding that must go to the fine folks over at After the Bar Closes who keep an eye on UD so we don't have to.

(They also happen to be discussing motorcycles right now, 'cause Gil rides a Harley.)
Damn! I haven't been in the Bar after hours in a long time. I wonder why I quit visiting...... I'll have to rechange my ways again.

I'm waiting to see it on the UcD home page. That one should be amazing in it's convolutions. Hope O'Leary writes it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  11:54:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Aha! Got one!
Premise Media has just been slapped with a “cease and desist” letter from XVIVO, the group at Harvard that produced the video clips from which the still images at the top of this thread were taken. They are alleging copyright infringement (not to mention blatant plagiarism). The full text of the letter from XVIVO's lawyers can be read at:
It's really more of a whine than any sort of rebuttal, but I'm willing to wait.

They still seem to be a little bashful on the Fox review. I doubt if it'll appear unless it turns up in comments.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.