Oz diamonds hint early formation of earth's crust
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  15:52:05  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diamond crystals found in western Australia's Jack Hills are evidence the earth already had a crust only 250 million years after the planet condensed from the solar system's protoplanetary disk, according to scientists. If true, that would mean the crust formed twice as fast as previously thought.
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Diamonds more than 4 billion years old -- nearly as old as the Earth itself -- have been discovered in Western Australia, giving scientists vital clues about the early history of our planet.
art.ancient.diamonds.jpg

These small gems are the oldest identified
fragments of the Earth's crust.

Found trapped in zircon crystals in the Jack Hills region, the small gems are the oldest identified fragments of the Earth's crust and their existence suggests the Earth may have cooled faster than previously thought, experts said on Wednesday.

The time between the creation of the Earth around 4.5 billion years ago and the formation of the oldest known rocks some 500 million years later is known as the Hadean period -- the "dark ages" of geology.

Many geologists have traditionally thought of it as a time when the surface of the planet was a mass of molten lava. But the discovery of the ancient diamonds, reported in the journal Nature, challenges that view.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  17:03:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How fascinating!

If confirmed, another tiny piece of the ancient puzzle is fitted in.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  20:27:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ho hum, merely more evidence of Satan trying to deceive us.

With diamonds, he's obviously going after blonde women first.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Edited by - The Rat on 08/23/2007 20:27:44
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  21:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This study certainly adds to the growing body of scientific evidence that diamonds are forever.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  06:39:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This study certainly adds to the growing body of scientific evidence that diamonds are forever.

And now I've that Bond!theme stuck in my head.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  01:23:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

In English, a tune that cannot be "tuned out" is called an "earwig." Is there a Portuguese equivalent?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  03:59:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In English, a tune that cannot be "tuned out" is called an "earwig." Is there a Portuguese equivalent?

I didn't know that! Say 'earwig,' and I automaticly think of the arthropod. Thanks for the vocabulary enhancer....

I wonder how long it will take the De Beers monopoly to claim that the diamonds are theirs and demand money for them.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/26/2007 04:43:13
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  11:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In English, a tune that cannot be "tuned out" is called an "earwig."

?! I've always heard them called 'earworms'.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  20:25:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

In English, a tune that cannot be "tuned out" is called an "earwig."

?! I've always heard them called 'earworms'.

That's just the kind of nonsense we tried to correct during the war of 1812.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  09:47:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Really? That's sweet. No equivalent in portuguese that I'm aware of.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  12:57:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i thought it was a "earworm" sometimes spelt "earwurm"

Baza
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  13:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Baza

I may have been wrong all these years. But it might be a different term across the British/US English divide.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  13:49:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I may have been wrong all these years. But it might be a different term across the British/US English divide.

Ahhh stop confusing the foreigner!

According to www.dictionary.com, earwig is "to fill the mind of with prejudice by insinuations" or "to attempt to influence by persistent confidential argument or talk", whereas earworm is "a song or tune that gets stuck in one's mind and repeats as if on a tape", so... instead of learning a new expression I learned two. Yay!

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  14:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
41 years of living in the U.S. and I'd never heard the term "earworm" until last week. And now, rather coincidentally, this thread (which has also introduced me to a new meaning for "earwig," thanks to Sib!).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2007 :  15:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ahhh stop confusing the foreigner!

According to www.dictionary.com, earwig is "to fill the mind of with prejudice by insinuations" or "to attempt to influence by persistent confidential argument or talk", whereas earworm is "a song or tune that gets stuck in one's mind and repeats as if on a tape", so... instead of learning a new expression I learned two. Yay!
Oh, goodie! You looked it up! Wish I'd thought of that trick. So, we were all correct. Except me.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.