Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Xianity gets credit for all that's good in Canada.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  17:02:32  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep... Christian historical revisionism is not confined to the United States:

From the Calgary Sun, and also printed in the Edmonton Sun:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Corbella_Licia/2007/08/26/4447284-sun.php

Canada is a place that millions -- if not billions -- of people in the world often risk everything to move to because it is free, and it is free because of its foundation and -- like it or not -- that foundation is the Judeo-Christian ethic.

Look around the world. Make a list of all the countries people want to immigrate to. What is the one common denominator of those countries? It is not culture, language, climate, or riches. There is only one. It is Christianity.

The former Pope and the francophone anthem is right.

This country's valour is steeped in faith -- the Christian faith. It protects our homes and our rights.

If we continue to chip away at this foundation by denying our history and heritage then we risk losing our freedoms.

Right! And I suppose that the first commandment about only worshipping Jehova (can't spell YWV), is the basis for the religious freedom that we have in Canada??

Damn it, I do NOT have time to always be refuting these clowns! When you read the article, she comes off almost as bad as Sarfati!

Maybe a little reading may help??
http://www.talkreason.org/articles/Genocide.cfm

(not to do with Canada, but later in, Avalos does talk about some so-called ethical practices in the bible itself).

I suppose I'll have to do some reading on Canadian history now...gee, I wonder if when the European colonists first arrived they treated the native Canadians here with christian love, eh?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 08/29/2007 17:05:19

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  17:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look around the world. Make a list of all the countries people want to immigrate to. What is the one common denominator of those countries? It is not culture, language, climate, or riches. There is only one. It is Christianity.
Well he's obviously an idiot. Countries that are predominantly Christian share a particular culture, and Western nations - which happen to have a Christian heritage - do tend to be more rich. Also, when people are asked why they want to immigrate to modern Western nations, they rarely say, "Because I want to be around more Christians." They are attracted to the values of modernism: greater freedom, economic opportunities, and chance for social mobility.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  18:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"But the core of your heritage is the spiritual and transcendent vision of life based on Christian revelation which gave vital impetus to your development as a free, democratic and caring society, recognized throughout the world as a champion of human rights and human dignity."
There is some truth to this in that small "h" humanism was originally developed by Christian thinkers such as Erasmus (who was critical of the Catholic church!) Today more people who call themselves humanists are atheists and agnostics, however, and a growing number of people who call themselves Christian are intolerant of many customs, lifestyles, and secular laws that they see as in opposition to their exclusive worldview.

So on one hand one could develop a decent argument that from Christianity sprung these wonderful values of human rights and dignity. However, it was never mainstream Christianity that developed them; it was always dissenters, minority Christian groups that broke away from traditional theology and practice. Today many of those dissenters, if not most, aren't even Christian anymore. Many of them are atheists, agnostics, have adopted Western versions of foreign philosophies and religions, or are "spiritual, not religious". So I'd say this quote has some historical validity, but it largely outdated.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  18:30:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

Well he's obviously an idiot. Countries that are predominantly Christian share a particular culture, and Western nations - which happen to have a Christian heritage - do tend to be more rich. Also, when people are asked why they want to immigrate to modern Western nations, they rarely say, "Because I want to be around more Christians." They are attracted to the values of modernism: greater freedom, economic opportunities, and chance for social mobility.

Actually, he's actually a she. Tsk, tsk. If you'd have actually read the article, you'd have seen her picture and would have seen that!

Just remember the creationist lesson: always check out the source. If it's any "comfort" though, the entire article is just as bad! The theme is constant throughout.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 08/29/2007 18:30:54
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  21:27:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm upset with the unquestioned premise, that Canada is a beacon attracting people from all over the world. If that were so, why would the USA need barbed wire and trenches along the world's longest fortified border to keep the shivering masses out of Happy Warm Land?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:02:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the premise. Many people want to immigrate to Turkey or India. I predict that fairly soon (10 to 20 years) people will at least want to immigrate to China. Now of course, perhaps the author just means a large majority of people want to immigrate to countries with a large Christian population. As Marf pointed out, there is a lack of causation. Correlation alone won't be enough in this case, there are far too many factors coming from every direction.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  13:31:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From International Immigration 2006 (PDF file), we get the following data points. The rate is the net immigration into each listed country, given as the number of immigrants per thousand residents. I've left out all the negative and zero rates (which, due to rounding errors, could be as high as 99 people per million), so if you don't see a country listed, it's the net immigration was negative, or it was close to zero, or because it wasn't listed on the chart.

Country                    Rate
-------------------------  ----
United Arab Emirates       49.6
Turks and Caicos Islands   43.8
Qatar                      42.3
Kuwait                     19.5
Dem. Rep. of Timor-Leste   19.2
Sierra Leone               17.5
Cayman Islands             16.5
Afghanistan                16.0
Northern Mariana Islands   15.9
Montserrat                 14.2
Eritrea                    14.1
Monaco                     10.5
Ireland                     9.8
Spain                       9.7
Singapore                   9.6
China, Hong Kong SAR        8.8
Luxembourg                  8.7
Nauru                       8.7
San Marino                  7.3
Cyprus                      7.1
Canada                      6.7
Western Sahara              6.2
Chad                        6.0
Liechtenstein               5.9
Aruba                       5.5
Burundi                     5.5
Australia                   5.1
Israel                      4.9
Portugal                    4.8
New Caledonia               4.7
French Guiana               4.6
Somalia                     4.5
China, Macao SAR            4.4
Croatia                     4.4
Gambia                      4.4
Costa Rica                  4.1
New Zealand                 4.0
United States of America    4.0
Jordan                      3.7
Channel Islands             3.4
Greece                      3.2
Malta                       2.8
Germany                     2.7
Norway                      2.6
Austria                     2.5
Benin                       2.5
Anguilla                    2.4
Denmark                     2.3
United Kingdom              2.3
Saudi Arabia                2.2
Bosnia and Herzegovina      2.1
Italy                       2.1
Mauritania                  2.1
Brunei Darussalam           2.0
Angola                      1.9
Netherlands                 1.9
Iraq                        1.8
Burkina Faso                1.6
Finland                     1.6
Bahamas                     1.3
Belgium                     1.3
Reunion                     1.3
Iceland                     1.2
Malaysia                    1.2
Rwanda                      1.1
Switzerland                 1.1
Czech Republic              1.0
France                      1.0
Hungary                     1.0
Slovenia                    1.0
Russian Federation          0.6
Panama                      0.5
Chile                       0.4
Japan                       0.4
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya      0.4
Myanmar                     0.3
Venezuela                   0.3
Cameroon                    0.2
Guinea-Bissau               0.2
Slovakia                    0.2
South Africa                0.2
Ghana                       0.1
I leave it as an exercise to the reader to find out how many of the most-emigrated-to countries are Christian.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  15:21:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the ignored wrote:
If you'd have actually read the article, you'd have seen her picture and would have seen that!
I did read the article. How do you think I quoted a passage from it that hadn't already been quoted by you? I just didn't look at the headline or notice her picture. Sheesh.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  16:00:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I find interesting is that Afghanistan is #8, way ahead of Canada or the US. By Licia Corbella's logic, Afghanistan's Muslim values must make the place more "the envy of the world" than Canada. Jeeze, I wish I could afford to move there.

Truly a land where the women look as good as you imagine them to under those burkas, especially if you smoke the local opium.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  18:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're calling to me... and to over 42 more people per thousand, too.

Of course, with a population under 22,000 that ain't too difficult.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  20:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Canada is a place that millions -- if not billions -- of people in the world often risk everything to move to because it is free, and it is free because of its foundation and -- like it or not -- that foundation is the Judeo-Christian ethic.

BILLIONS of people risk their lives to move to Canada? Gosh, they must be dying in droves or at least failing miserably. From a personal point of view, my family might be uprooting, leaving or good ol' New Zealand to go to Vernon, British Columbia (that's Canada, btw). I can't say that it's the religion that draws me there as much as the five month skiing season, the wonderful scenery and the excellent weather. Oh, and we do have some family members living there as well. And we're not risking all that much by doing it, either. Neither does the average immigrant into Canada who traditinally came from somewhere in Europe - although it seems that there is a greater influx of asians nowadays.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  20:58:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Free? Ha! Fifteen years ago, the four different sales taxes on a two-dollar beer totalled fifty cents.

Of course, with the exchange rate, that was what, a nickel US?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  16:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

the ignored wrote:
If you'd have actually read the article, you'd have seen her picture and would have seen that!
I did read the article. How do you think I quoted a passage from it that hadn't already been quoted by you? I just didn't look at the headline or notice her picture. Sheesh.

Well, I tried to sound self-righteous....still her picture is right there! Come on! (Hey, she's better looking than Ann Coulter, at least!)

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  17:11:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bless you, the_ignored, for saying the Secret Words, "Ann Coulter."

I've been hoping for even the slimmest of excuses to post the following image, and that will do nicely. My title is, "Bigotry Leading the People," by Eugène Delacroix and Photoshop CS3:

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/31/2007 17:11:47
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  18:03:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come on, people! Where are the other Canada jokes?

It's summer up there now, so the Canadians are all too busy keeping their igloos from melting to fight back.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  20:31:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Come on, people! Where are the other Canada jokes?

It's summer up there now, so the Canadians are all too busy keeping their igloos from melting to fight back.
I don't know any canadian jokes that I would find funnier than Hawks comment.
BILLIONS of people risk their lives to move to Canada? Gosh, they must be dying in droves or at least failing miserably.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.