General Skepticism
 Skeptic Cinema, Thursday 9/6 8pm est
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  05:51:50  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the few of you who actually have the Retroplex channel(encore), Tonight at 8est, Nightmare Alley, the finest film which deals directly with skeptic issues that has ever been made.

I cannot reccomend this movie enough, Tyrone Power delivers an amazing performace as a carnival grifter during the depression, whos ambition to deceive knows no bounds. He takes his perfected craft into the world of mentalism and eventually becomes the worlds greatest medium. Though the higher they climb...

This movie is a powerhouse and a fine example of classic B&W cinema which stands the test of time. Even though it was made 60+years ago it stands alone in my mind as the only film which gives these hucksters the microscope like they deserve. The movie was popular when it was made and likely had a real effect on the believers who saw it. Its not completely faithful to the book(which I also reccomend)*, but does it justice.

If you dont have retroplex find a friend that does.

*Book is out of print

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini

Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 09/07/2007 09:08:11

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  06:33:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netflix has it. If you're a member, you can watch it online. Thanks, I'll make a note of it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:07:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So did anyone watch it? I forking love this movie, the interaction between Stanton and the psychologist just blows my mind.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  09:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You made it sound so good, I was hoping to have some time this weekend to see it.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  18:52:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're right, that was pretty good for 1947. It was pretty sappy, but some smart stuff, too.

They made the Joan Blondell character psychic, which gave it negative skeptic points, but not many.

Lots of good points, like the way the "boobs" bought into just about anything, and our hero bought into a scam himself with his eyes wide open.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.