Glory be, it's a RATE Conference!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  15:36:45  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumor has it that something called a RATE Conference is scheduled for Sept. 15 in Denver, CO. What exactly, I hear you suspiciously inquire, might a RATE Conference be?

Well, I'm not entirely certain myself, but it seems to have to do with the age of the Earth according to radiometric dating, and how it proves that the whole shebang is 6,000 or so years old. Or something like that. Of course, they are scheduled to present some PhD-level experts to expound in depth on the subject. These notables include……

Dr. Gary Parker
While investigating the Biblical and scientific statements of creationist Gary Parker, I came across a puzzling story. Dr. Parker claims to have participated in a college debate where the Bible Department defended evolution, while he and a Science professor defended the Bible. I figured that some debate took place with some Bible department somewhere, but the description of this event seemed to be slanted in Parker's favor. Is that really what happened? Gary Parker's web site at Answers in Genesis states that he taught at Christian Heritage College, Eastern Baptist College, and Dordt College. He does not specify the college where The Debate took place. Dr. Parker now teaches at Clearwater Christian College.

Dr. John Baumgardner
John R. Baumgardner (b. ?) is a geophysicist, creationist, religious fundamentalist, and proponent of catastrophic plate tectonics.
Baumgardner has a Ph.D. in geophysics and space science from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) and works at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, is Adjunct Professor of Geophysics at the Institute for Creation Research.[1]
He became a Christian at 26 and has tried to prove Noah's Flood scientifically ever since, creating a computer program called Terra to model the flood.[2]
In 1985, Baumgardner joined archaeologist and explorer Ron Wyatt and salvage expert David Fasold to Durup#305;nar, Turkey for an expedition recounted in Fasold's The Ark of Noah to locate the biblical ship's remains.[3]
Baumgardner appeared on the documentary television series Understanding episode "Evolution".

Dr. Russell Humpherys
Humphreys's book called Starlight and Time presents a scientifically unorthodox cosmological model in which the Earth is several thousands of years old, but the outer edge of an expanding and rotating 3-dimensional universe is billions of years old, with various ages in between. He claims that this is based on Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity. His critics, including other creationists, claim that he misrepresents science and question his research.

Dr. Donald DeYoung
Don DeYoung is Chairman of the Department of Physical Science at Grace College, Winona Lake, Indiana. He has taught at Grace since 1972, with sabbatical leaves spent in San Diego and the South Pacific. Dr DeYoung is also on the faculty of the Institute for Creation Res

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.